Little Muddle

KNP

6 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Interesting.... what is it?

Reid & Sigrist RS3, one of my now deceased relatives was involved in the design and build of it then later in life was involved in recording the company's history  and rebuilding a surviving aircraft.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

Reid & Sigrist RS3, one of my now deceased relatives was involved in the design and build of it then later in life was involved in recording the company's history  and rebuilding a surviving aircraft.

What year where they built

• Like 1

I believe, and I stand to be corrected by those with better knowledge than me, that it was converted to a test aircraft for seeing if pilots lying in the prone position could survive low speed G's better?

Edited by KNP
  • Like 2

The Desford Trainer was built to test the viability of a prone pilot; the idea was that he (it was only a he in those days) would lay on his stomach and control the aircraft in that position.  It was also hoped to increase visability by allowing the pilot to be in the nose of the aircraft but not compromise the aerodynamics.  The trials were continued with a prone pilot conversion of a Meteor, this can now be found at the RAF Museum Cosford.

Edited by Pendennis
  • Informative/Useful 4

Correctomundo.

Reid built instruments mostly before WWII, they began experimenting with military aircraft c1937. The RS series were built and developed 1939-45, during which time the RAF were in control of Desford Aerodrome where they were based. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

5 hours ago, Pendennis said:

The Desford Trainer was built to test the viability of a prone pilot; the idea was that he (it was only a he in those days) would lay on his stomach and control the aircraft in that position.  It was also hoped to increase visability by allowing the pilot to be in the nose of the aircraft but not compromise the aerodynamics.  The trials were continued with a prone pilot conversion of a Meteor, this can now be found at the RAF Museum Cosford.

Yes but they discovered that while a prone pilot was OK with the Gs his chances with a head on collision were minimal ..... :jester:

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I suppose it could be said that photo shows Little Muddle at its busiest.

A train, a tractor and a car all moving at the same time plus 2 - not one - active fishers.  The guy sitting on the grass has let the whole thing down terribly though.  Perhaps he is just dead tired after having performed some highly energetic activity (no idea what) before the Squadron Leader arrived on the scene.   Timing is everything as they say!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Bogie said:

The guy sitting on the grass has let the whole thing down terribly though.  Perhaps he is just dead tired after having performed some highly energetic activity (no idea what) 

Actually, just beyond the viaduct, a pretty girl, silly grin on face, is heading back out into the fields to carry on picking cabbages. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 10

17 minutes ago, Metropolitan H said:

That isn't any old car, that is a 1930s "Austin Taxi", so someone with money is visiting the valley!

Regards

Chris H

Yep, it's come down from London with a special guest for Middle Farm.

I am unable to advise further due to......I don't know......but they did looked regal as they drove past.....!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 8

52 minutes ago, KNP said:

I am unable to advise further due to......I don't know......but they did looked regal as they drove past.....!

Ummmm 1938 didn't by any chance have an American accent did they?

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KNP said:

"Carruthers!!"

"Sir!"

"Take a car and get down Little Muddle and get hold of the Squadron Leader down there - whassisname? - tell him we need him and his god-forsaken biplane toot-de-suite to photograph what those damn Yanks are doing along the south coast!"

"Sir, yessir"

• Like 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KNP said:

Yep, it's come down from London with a special guest for Middleton Farm.

Alternatively....

Ah, a visit from His Maj to the proletariat, planning on future betrothals, perhaps ? 

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, KNP said:

I had this wonderful idea of the garage doors being open and a car parked inside....

Perhaps I could have one of the doors falling off.....hang on, that’s done before????

To avoid the door falling off, you could perhaps go for a roller shutter door, powered perhaps, and maybe even DCC controlled through a sound chip?

(Just an idea of course....)

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2