Little Muddle

KNP

3 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

To avoid the door falling off, you could perhaps go for a roller shutter door, powered perhaps, and maybe even DCC controlled through a sound chip?

(Just an idea of course....)

That all sounds hideously modern for Little Muddle.... The garage I have started building for my layout, based on similar sized prototype built in the 1920s has a common at the time sectional sliding door that moves left and right on an overhead rail.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

"Sir, yessir"

2 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Septics, as in tanks. Septic tank, yank!

These two go together. The acknowledgement of a military command in this country, if one is deemed necessary, is a simple, "Sir". You have been watching too many transatlantic films, @Stubby47.

There! I don't see why everybody else should have fun with pedantry and leave me out of it.

:boast:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

These two go together. The acknowledgement of a military command in this country, if one is deemed necessary, is a simple, "Sir". You have been watching too many transatlantic films, @Stubby47.

There! I don't see why everybody else should have fun with pedantry and leave me out of it.

:boast:

I thought you were having fun with pheasantry, not pedantry!

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5

Hi Kevin

I'm coming back to modelling after a long break, and have just found Little Muddle. I've got to page 100 so far, and am looking forward to seeing the rest. I'm still not sure whetehr to be inspired, or just shut the layout room door and finding somehting else to occupy my retirement. 

I think the is exceptional - the overall modelling, attention to detail, grouping, composition and very careful use of balanced colour all add up to a superb entity.

a few questions if I may, please:

Platforms - what have you used for edging flagstones, general stone paving and gravel

Loco Coal Dock - what material is used for the timber above the brickwork base

Edited by Biggles Dog
Interrupted
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Sorry,

Nudged by dog demanding to be fed!

Other questions, please:

Yard/road surfaces - what have you used to get the basic texture - I assume this is then coloured with suitable washes ?

What is the source of the lovely 2 horse wagon you used for CBC ?

I realise that careful application and subtle colouring make all the differnce to the above elements, but at least knowing what you use gives me a starter - it's then up to me to do the best I can.

Thanks for a most enjoyable and site - sorry about the typos in the first part !

Geoff

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 hours ago, Biggles Dog said:

Hi Kevin

I'm coming back to modelling after a long break, and have just found Little Muddle. I've got to page 100 so far, and am looking forward to seeing the rest. I'm still not sure whetehr to be inspired, or just shut the layout room door and finding somehting else to occupy my retirement. 

I think the is exceptional - the overall modelling, attention to detail, grouping, composition and very careful use of balanced colour all add up to a superb entity.

a few questions if I may, please:

Platforms - what have you used for edging flagstones, general stone paving and gravel

Loco Coal Dock - what material is used for the timber above the brickwork base

5 hours ago, Biggles Dog said:

Sorry,

Nudged by dog demanding to be fed!

Other questions, please:

Yard/road surfaces - what have you used to get the basic texture - I assume this is then coloured with suitable washes ?

What is the source of the lovely 2 horse wagon you used for CBC ?

I realise that careful application and subtle colouring make all the differnce to the above elements, but at least knowing what you use gives me a starter - it's then up to me to do the best I can.

Thanks for a most enjoyable and site - sorry about the typos in the first part !

Geoff

Nice to see someone back into this hobby and pleased that my little effort has been of help.

In answer to your questions I reply in order and thanks for your kind comments.

Platforms - Scalescenes printed paper and then realised the white edging was a wartime addition so painted it out with various shades of grey!

Coal Dock - Wills sheets of timber, in some cases cut into individual pieces.

Yard surface - mainly Treemendous earth with sieved sand in random places, Pollyfilla rubbed in dry to smooth vehicle areas and then wetted, many, many wash coats of grey, in some cases reactivating a previous coat and worked in - tonal variation main aim, earth colour also washed over in places to tone down.

Wagon - Langley wagon and Dart horses.

Hope you get on well with your model and keep us posted on your progress and adventures.

Best wishes to the dog....

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

"Major Winstanley ? Call for you sir on line 1."

"Winstanley here."

"Carruthers here sir. Have got to Little Muddle, but have been abandoned by Gruber, my driver. Have spoken to a retired Colonel but he was no help, just talked a load of carp. The car is now on a small bridge and I can see two suspicious packages underneath."

"Well get yourself out of there man and find some other form of transport to get you to the airfield."

"Sir, yessir"

"And stop with the damn Americanisms!!" 

• Like 2
  • Funny 12

7 hours ago, KNP said:

Lets get back to the taxi.......or in this case the back of the taxi!

3455.jpg.587a7388036e710841cb02ab9e578e0a.jpg

Suppose I do need a driver in this thing especially as it has moved.....

Just waiting for someone to tell you the number plate is wrong and it wouldn't have had a Hackney licence plate in your time period!!!! 

:rolleyes::D

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

6 hours ago, Benbow said:

Just waiting for someone to tell you the number plate is wrong and it wouldn't have had a Hackney licence plate in your time period!!!! 

:rolleyes::D

I have one of those taxis in black. Not only is it potentially wrong, it's also still very very shiny.... But I like it anyway!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

I fear the colonel might be wasting his time angling at the moment with all this passing traffic ( or perhaps that’s why he does it ! )  I wondering who has the right of way here, does petrol give way to steam?   An absorbing scene well worth dallying in!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, KNP said:

Still on the taxi theme.

Here, to me, is the best of the bunch I took the other day.

3454.jpg.6b7c9f8a9ab81a006dbe04618e223808.jpg

Battle brewing up the Lane of the Taxi and the Titan, I wonder who will come off worst?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

43 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Battle brewing up the Lane of the Taxi and the Titan, I wonder who will come off worst?

There will only be one winner!!!

Edited by KNP
  • Funny 3

1 minute ago, KNP said:

There will only to one winner!!!

Having driven the virtually uncontrollable things, I can tell you that by the time you had lined up to ram a car with a traction engine, the car would be half a mile away.

You can only get the better of parked cars....

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1