Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

Can’t say I’ve seen many drunken duck pubs. Why not something more traditional like the green Man; white horse; red lion. All of which would have been around way before the railway.

https://drunkenduckinn.co.uk/ is the only one I know of, at least at 1:1. (Usual disclaimer). My (unfinished/stalled) quayside layout has a pub is called that, though I need a suitable sign to finish it off. 

True, the others are all good traditional pub names (we have a Red Lion and a White Horse in the village, as well as a Queen's Head, used to have The Malt Shovel) - but I thought Kevin would like something a bit distinctive without being too unusual, so wondered about the Masons and Bull could fit a semi-industrial site, the George and Blue Boar (Oxford aristo heraldry) for more 'classy joints'/ex coaching inns. 

4 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

image.png.43ffdf1f8f41a2a662c07c3a60173ce2.png

A few miles away we used to have a 'Brown Cow'. But red cows for Devon... 

7 hours ago, KNP said:

.... Originally obtained from International Models many years ago that are no longer trading.

I expect they are still available somewhere, this is a picture of the box that I still keep some spare in.

AAB6BDB1-A94A-4597-AE87-8B82CAE895A2.jpeg.b46be53d5a3d886449ea01e712a38c97.jpeg

The reason I went with this was because I wanted a very tall back scene for photography and this was the only one at the time that was over 450mm tall and extendable.

Golden Valley Hobbies (https://www.goldenvalleyhobbies.com/search/products?keywords=backscene) stock/supply Auhagen, including some backscenes. (I did have a trade account with them and they used to supply us with Auhagen bits, including some Feldbahn, but no connection now. Nor do I have any backscenes in the bits I have in stock, sorry). 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

When pubs started having silly names in the 90s, we renamed our local The Trout and Toolbox, another was named The Scrapping Slapper and others I can't repeat on here.

There's one near us that we call The Star Wars Bar, because as in the film, it's filled with freakish aliens and the music is terrible....

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium

Morning Kevin,

In your quest for pub names, this might be of use: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pub_names

There are a number of unusual names on the list..... "Cat and Custard Pot"; "Hob in the Well"; "Buck and Ear"; 

Or maybe given the location: "Captains Wife"; or "The Sloop"; or with the garage behind, the pub could be called "The Farriers Arms" suggesting it was a Smithy in days of yore.

Anyway, the list at Wikipedia will give plenty of potential names for an old pub. So much so, that I am thinking of renaming some of my pubs :-)

Enjoy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I believe a lady who is now a Royal Princess used to pull pints at a pub not far from us in Kent. It was called the Half-Way House. A colleague many years ago told me of a pub in Yorkshire called the Half-Way Inn. Known to some as the Frustrated Virgin!

• Funny 11

• RMweb Gold

Can you guess what our local is called? 

When the sign went up in '76 it caused a few issues, cars swerving in the moor road when they spotted it, it was near enough life size, made by my dad, cut out of 8' x 4' plywood, then one night someone painted white stripes on it... After it was taken down it was put up on the front of the pub with the name painted on it. 

Bull.jpg.8ed546d8374e866c4cc6626689a307df.jpg

• Like 9

There used to be a pub in Burford called The Rampant Cat, which I always thought was a fine name.

However, since Little Muddle is firmly in the steam era, perhaps you might call your pub The Lubricator.

Suggested in all innocence...

• Like 4
  • Funny 5

23 minutes ago, KNP said:

Racing down the main line the King charges through the station...

onwards forever onwards it clatters taking its passengers to pastures new...

The King is on the move

3459.jpg.d8f381d88dc61e311dfbe090f5a6fda6.jpg

Even with his throttle wide open the Squadron Leader was struggling to keep pace with his RE8!

I like that.:good::good::good::good::good: as in 5*

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 18/03/2021 at 09:24, Tony Teague said:

I also quite like "The Case Is Altered" of which there are several, usually near to law courts.

In this case, perhaps "The Plan Is Altered" (again).

There used to be two pubs in Southampton, a couple of streets apart from each other - one was called "The Honest Lawyer" and the other "The Bent Brief". I never discovered which got its name first.

57 minutes ago, KNP said:

Work progressing on The Old Pub complex.

Outbuildings first then towards the pub and the shop.

State of play as of a few moments ago...

D0D45E24-0306-40D2-A200-C7935B3E521B.jpeg.3bf61fd1e639e0a5bb4ebba916de9041.jpeg

133A96D7-185F-4FD8-BAF2-73E8E7D60011.jpeg.45141d6868d684ff6d64737b51da8172.jpeg

7D6C5F62-3AD8-4E92-B06E-0BF7D9D482E7.jpeg.49ce6f98ffcdabb9e2a46ec492c5fa00.jpeg

F04493D4-8F69-4630-A28C-527012801785.jpeg.2c6aea6e71ffafd80ca40aa06c3db8cf.jpeg

Lead valley gutter added, wriggly tin to the store roof and interior of garage being worked on.

Would like to fix the model to the base but need to finish garage interior first as it would almost be impossible to work on if I did

Decision on pub name pending, I have decided on one which has mainly historical connotations to me but first I need to find out if I can get sign pictures of the internet that I can use.

Thanks for all your help and advise on a name, much appreciated.

That looks amazing. How did you do the wrinkly tin?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I painted the wriggly tin with first.

Vallejo - Black Grey

wash of Traincolor Acreo Steel

Then another wash of Lifecolor Roof Dirt,

when dry a second coat but concentrating on the base.

dry brushed Black Grey to highlight the tops of the corrugations

When all assembled I plan to further dirty the lower edges and perhaps some green mould in other areas say corners, underside of roof etc. to suggest age.

Roof will get the same treatment but with moss in the various edges, bird droppings etc.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, KNP said:

Work progressing on The Old Pub complex.

Outbuildings first then towards the pub and the shop.

State of play as of a few moments ago...

D0D45E24-0306-40D2-A200-C7935B3E521B.jpeg.3bf61fd1e639e0a5bb4ebba916de9041.jpeg

133A96D7-185F-4FD8-BAF2-73E8E7D60011.jpeg.45141d6868d684ff6d64737b51da8172.jpeg

7D6C5F62-3AD8-4E92-B06E-0BF7D9D482E7.jpeg.49ce6f98ffcdabb9e2a46ec492c5fa00.jpeg

F04493D4-8F69-4630-A28C-527012801785.jpeg.2c6aea6e71ffafd80ca40aa06c3db8cf.jpeg

Lead valley gutter added, wriggly tin to the store roof and interior of garage being worked on.

Would like to fix the model to the base but need to finish garage interior first as it would almost be impossible to work on if I did

Decision on pub name pending, I have decided on one which has mainly historical connotations to me but first I need to find out if I can get sign pictures of the internet that I can use.

Thanks for all your help and advise on a name, much appreciated.

Are you adding some boards in the middle to suggest a pit?, as this would be well before 4 poster hoists

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

42 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Are you adding some boards in the middle to suggest a pit?, as this would be well before 4 poster hoists

But they might have had a single post lift outside, not uncommon, 

but rather dangerous, banned after at least one death!

• Informative/Useful 2