Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, KNP said:

Need to see if I can remove that large factory building with the tall chimney as it now looks wrong.

If I can't, might be where a backscene forest appears......!

Those Brian Sherriff backscenes are very good but I can't help thinking they're a bit too urban/industrial for LM. Have you had any thoughts about replacing the whole thing?

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

I think the backscene depicts Greater Muddle, some distance away. I know where I’d rather be.

In the words of the song:

"Stuck in the Muddle with you!"

:music_mini:

• Like 3
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, KNP said:

Greater Muddle just got a little smaller as I managed to get the large factory off the main backscene, luckily I had for once, followed the instructions and used wallpaper paste.

I was able to wet it and remove without to much problem.

The slight dark is that the backscene was still damp when I took this picture.

IMG_3093.jpg.d98cce1d86fe3f9ec061d7c8da6f4f57.jpg

What I can do with the rest will be difficult as it is a couple of layers stuck on top of one another.

I think that removal of all the backscene will enhance the overall look of Little Muddle,

if you are in any village on even a slight hill, you only ever see sky behind any buildings,

plus a few trees, just my thoughts on the subject.

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

18 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I concur, but distant hills can add depth, too. 

But it also depends from where you are looking, unfortunately, when we observe

our models/layouts we have the effect of looking from a hot air balloon, far higher

than we are used to.

If we are trying to recreate a 'normal' viewing point, we have to consider that most

of us wouldn't usually get higher than an upstairs window, (some exceptions being 

roofers, and owners of larger 'posh' houses), certainly for villages.

It's a different set of parameters in towns, with office blocks etc.

Edited by jcm@gwr
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

"Red 3 calling Red Cow Leader, Red 3 calling Red Cow Leader"

"Red Cow Leader here, go ahead Red 3, over"

"Meat canning factory successfully demolished overnight, over"

"Good show Red 3, out"

• Like 5
  • Funny 8

Hi Kevin,

I hope you don't mind me asking, the card you are using to build the pub looks really thick, what is it and where did you get it from?

I'm about to start card modelling for the first time and I would like to use thick card, much like that

I can only aspire to your skills, if In get 10% along the way I will be happy

Thanks

Steve

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, steve45 said:

Hi Kevin,

I hope you don't mind me asking, the card you are using to build the pub looks really thick, what is it and where did you get it from?

I'm about to start card modelling for the first time and I would like to use thick card, much like that

I can only aspire to your skills, if In get 10% along the way I will be happy

Thanks

Steve

That is 2mm thick grey board that came from Hobbycraft in the artists section. Very strong and reasonably easy to cut.

I also got of the internet a pack of 10 A3 sheets of the same stuff as well which are easier to use and store.

Roket card glue was used to fix as it sets within minutes and you don’t have to leave for an hour or two as do with PVA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 10

4 minutes ago, KNP said:

That is 2mm thick grey board that came from Hobbycraft in the artists section. Very strong and reasonably easy to cut.

I also got of the internet a pack of 10 A3 sheets of the same stuff as well which are easier to use and store.

Roket card glue was used to fix as it sets within minutes and you don’t have to leave for an hour or two as do with PVA.

Hi Kevin,

Thank you, I have bought some card from The Range, but its not 2mm, so I will use it for something else. I've heard about Rocket Glue, I will get some as well.

Many thanks for the tips

Steve

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, jcm@gwr said:

I think that removal of all the backscene will enhance the overall look of Little Muddle,

if you are in any village on even a slight hill, you only ever see sky behind any buildings,

plus a few trees, just my thoughts on the subject.

7 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I concur, but distant hills can add depth, too. 

6 hours ago, jcm@gwr said:

But it also depends from where you are looking, unfortunately, when we observe

our models/layouts we have the effect of looking from a hot air balloon, far higher

than we are used to.

If we are trying to recreate a 'normal' viewing point, we have to consider that most

of us wouldn't usually get higher than an upstairs window, (some exceptions being 

roofers, and owners of larger 'posh' houses), certainly for villages.

It's a different set of parameters in towns, with office blocks etc.

13 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Luckilly for us mere mortals, most of Kevin's pics are taken at eye sight height so just some Tree tops behind would suffice.

Whatever we think I'm sure that Kevin will produce something that pleases him, and we'll probably all agree. Or else!

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Whatever we think I'm sure that Kevin will produce something that pleases him, and we'll probably all agree. Or else!

Better get me thinking cap on then!!!!

Must ensure the committee is happy though otherwise I’ll never hear the end of it....

• Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I hope that you don't feel pushed into making changes to the layout.

Returning to the theme of the backscene, I think that you were right to lose the factory, its size and architectural style was more L&Y territory than rural GWR.

That said, the other (3d) factories remind me of where I grew up. This picture was taken from the top of the church tower over a hundred years ago. Visible is one of several factories that sprang up to serve the shoe industry. It has a chimney, but the style and size are more typical.

298-church-tower-to-cropston-road-c1899.jpg

• Like 8

Don’t worry, I don’t feel pressured to make changes I just go with the flow.....

I’m having fun.

So thanks for all your (and everyone else's) contributions in the past, present and hopefully the future.

I will be adding some trees behind the pub partly to conceal some areas of the backscene that got damaged. They won’t be that tall but just tall enough to do their job.

Still wading through all the various ones to see what I can tweak to suit.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I like the idea of downsizing the part of Little Muddle you model to a more appropriate size for the GWR branch line station. A tree line could work well for a tight corner.

Unfortunately, I think you may soon find you need to downsize the rest of the flat backscene to the right of the new pub. Is Little Muddle a village or a small town or perhaps an outlying suburban area of Edgecombe? Perhaps you will have to develop a context story for the geography and then historical development of human habitation of the site from the 18th century on. 

See where great modeling will lead you....Personally, I gave up freelancing and have stuck to real places as much as possible so I don't answer such questions. It can keep you up all night debating ideas in your head. 

Edited by autocoach
more fun
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Just to stick my oar in I was thinking that , as Little Muddle is a minor harbour, Greater Muddle must be a major port as it is directly adjacent. Luckily your backscene is not continuous with Encombe . We all love your trees though - so lots please!!

Edited by Limpley Stoker
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Luckilly for us mere mortals, most of Kevin's pics are taken at eye sight height so just some Tree tops behind would suffice.

Lucky indeed, especially for Kevin, who may have had to have his legs shortened just to appease our sight lines ...... :no2:

Just wondering, are there moves amongst the gentry in Little Muddle to change the name to Muddle Parva?

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, KNP said:

Panniers in the Mist

3475.jpg.ad03d5d644a279514eb02fe126ed719d.jpg

Oh dear....you're in for a treat now.

I have just sorted out a huge number of overlays for Affinity ranging from clouds, to snow, to rain, to fog, to mist, even rainbows!!!

and they are simple to use........

So be prepared for some instant weather changes here at Little Muddle.

SO, Misty comes ashore?

• Funny 5

And then when you get it slightly wrong........

3481.jpg.8ccd5c6f22ed6fb56c8f4de728d23033.jpg

Don't think I'll go out today.....!

Rain, sleet, snow, fog, mist, sun flare and a rainbow

Edited by KNP
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8