Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold

That looks just the part, a pub for locals, probably not ladies, a bit run down but with lots of potential for the eventual gastropub era !!  For now though it will be pickled eggs and pickled onions on the menu!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

That looks really good and you have the colours spot on too. I grew up in an area with a lot of thatched properties and every roof took on a kind of mottled greyish brown (that for some reason reminds me of hedgehogs?) after a couple of winters.

85e20357c27cafb13da4446f30a2a04b.jpg.55fc597d64fb5ce68bce55ae941761ad.jpg

The little thatched porch had a good few experts guessing, it's actually the old canopy from the village petrol pumps, dating from about 1925 and modified to fit the house about 1980! AFAIK, the main thatch is about 25 years old having all been replaced after a a fire.

The pattern of ridge staking on both is interesting.

large.jpg.88a4538ce447fe46b7d8d6cf655f2723.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Picture no attach!
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, KNP said:

Some people might be wondering what has become of The Unicorn....

in a nutshell - thatching

This has been challenging to say the least, luckily I started on the back roof and it has been replaced twice now.

After many experiments I appear to be on the right, if not unusual path...... more about that another day when I am satisfied it looks right.

Here is a sneak look down the street, no where near finished but looking better than it did.

9F73E54D-0CB0-44D0-95BC-C647490C9D05.jpeg.3517de12abfe1e591a7ed52131bf0295.jpeg

Looks spot on, reminds me of mid Devon around Okehampton / North Tawton...

Funnily enough I thought about the thatching today when we had a meet up with our service engineers... some now have grown quite extensive thatch

• Agree 1
  • Funny 8

12 hours ago, KNP said:

Some people might be wondering what has become of The Unicorn....

in a nutshell - thatching

This has been challenging to say the least, luckily I started on the back roof and it has been replaced twice now.

After many experiments I appear to be on the right, if not unusual path...... more about that another day when I am satisfied it looks right.

Here is a sneak look down the street, no where near finished but looking better than it did.

9F73E54D-0CB0-44D0-95BC-C647490C9D05.jpeg.3517de12abfe1e591a7ed52131bf0295.jpeg

Nice work, and it comes at just the right moment because I was about to ask -

"'ere Kevin, where's bluudy thatch eh? eh?, I dunno all talk and no thatction!!!"

But happily I was forestalled :jester:

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A very satisfying image. To state the obvious, everything is in such sharp focus the viewer can choose what to look at!  I’m fascinated by the realistic bark on those logs on the wagon.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

A very satisfying image. To state the obvious, everything is in such sharp focus the viewer can choose what to look at!  I’m fascinated by the realistic bark on those logs on the wagon.

Willow with the ends cut with a fine saw.

Vallejo Mahogany rubbed in with a finger ensuring an uneven coverage.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The best thing about that log wagon is that it truly is of its time - you would struggle to source a log the size of the bottom one these days. Modern farmed timber of the sort they move on railways today doesn't generally get to grow to those sorts of diameters before it's harvested.

It's like how you can always tell in older West Coast USA houses that were built with old growth forests. Terrible ecological damage was done, of course, indefensible in the modern age of course, but what extraordinarily beautiful wood it yielded.

• Like 4

I have been very tempted to dig out the Ratio Macaw G kits I have stashed away, a welcome distraction from reinventing the Peco point! 

This is the easy part done, now for the fun but nerve wracking bits that will hopefully turn it into something more realistic...

Thanks for the inspiration, I think that this one dates from the 1990s!

IMG_20210424_081531.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Stubby47 said:

"Carruthers!"

"Sir?"

"Has that train of stealth wagons arrived in Little Muddle yet?"

"Don't know sir, no one has reported seeing them yet."

And compact if they have to fit between the loco and toad!!!!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1