Little Muddle

KNP

Kevin asked (half way down, Previous page)  Quote:-  

"Now, I have an issue and that is do I do a free standing pictorial on a post or a wall mounted one over the jug & Bottle door....

Hmmmmm"

The tendency in the '30s seems to have been that  any pub with an open forecourt would have a pictorial or name sign on a post . and all pubs were to have the name of the licensee over a door.  

In the case of "The Unicorn" a picture might be a bit difficult, there being no prototype,  so plain or decorative  script might be the most likely option.  The licensee's name, (always white letters on a black background) ,could justifiably be attached to the transom above  the Jug & Bottle door since the door window has its purpose boldly shown on the upper panel. 

If the Unicorn is to offer accommodation then an additional sign on the wall "The Unicorn Inn" (?) might be displayed to catch passing traffic. Here the options would seem to be a panel attached to the wall, with the name in bold uppercase script or similar signage painted directly onto the wall . Such signs would usually be illuminated by overhead lights. A post sign, I think, is less likely to be illuminated 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

Don’t worry about the Unicorn picture on the hanging sign as I already have an original Whitbread one that I will photoshop to size.

Passing traffic at LM, I’m lucky if I get any of that!!!

I will be going for a post as that was what I wanted from the very start.

Bikes being built.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 2

I’ve really enjoyed seeing the pub develop, and it looks so right. Thanks for sharing the progress.

I have been wondering about one thing though. A few pages ago it was suggested that a beer delivery would make a nice cameo.....but how would the beer get into the cellar? Is there an access door or would it go through the pub?

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 23/05/2021 at 03:32, KNP said:

Front area well underway

Road matching well.

Grass, weeds, shrubs to front of brick building added and blended in adjoining alleyway.

Sieved sand to sides of porch with PVA glue flooded on, Roof Dirt wash applied now need to dry so I can what colour/shade it ends up!!!

Paving added.

B12A38D8-2BD2-49C6-BF0A-942CC6CDC867.jpeg.500d8fe3887fb97d6f86e97f36ba67ce.jpeg

There is a small triangular patch of ground between the brick wall of the building next to the pub and the railing on the edge of the platform - would that exist in real life or would either the owner of the building colonised it or the railway?

BTW nice job with pub.

Edited by Malcolm 0-6-0
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

There is a small triangular patch of ground between the brick wall of the building next to the pub and the railing on the edge of the platform - would that exist in real life or would either the owner of the building colonised it or the railway?

BTW nice job with pub.

Thanks

if I have read your comment correctly you are talking about the alleyway that leads behind the station to Cathcott Field.

is it this one?

3449.jpg.2c97567d51747ac4830552879fadc2a5.jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Hi @KNP. I have been away from Little Muddle on other business for too long. It has been very pleasant to return and catch up with things over the last few weeks / hundred  or so pages. Catching up  at LM speed!

The standard of modelling is something to aspire to. The pub and garage look like they have been there forever. Some things change on LM , but part of its charm is most things don't. It is like going back to your childhood home town to find you recognise everything. Thank you for continuing to inspire.

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, KNP said:

Thanks

if I have read your comment correctly you are talking about the alleyway that leads behind the station to Cathcott Field.

is it this one?

3449.jpg.2c97567d51747ac4830552879fadc2a5.jpg

That's it, and that pic shows it's not as narrow as it looks in the first pic.

Looks splendid, excellent job as usual - carry on.  :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought that a pub as ancient as the Unicorn seems to be would not have a cellar but have the smaller sizes barrels on a shelf / stand behind the counter and glasses/ tankards filled directly from the barrel. I didn't know Kevin had worked for Whitbread.... I was "teaching granny to suck eggs". My knowledge comes from having two aunts as well as my father all licensees in post-war England. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

When Whitbread acquired the estates of other brewers, not unnaturally there might be a few unfamiliar taps appear on the bar.  One of these was Whitbread Tankard, a beer that Professor Spooner might have been advised not to order. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 13

56 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

When Whitbread acquired the estates of other brewers, not unnaturally there might be a few unfamiliar taps appear on the bar.  One of these was Whitbread Tankard, a beer that Professor Spooner might have been advised not to order. 

Is that the game in Sherwood forest, where Robin Hood becomes Hobin Rood, Little John becomes Jittle Lohn and Friar Tuck isn't allowed to play?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 13

9 hours ago, KNP said:

At the end of a busy day the Pannier has a rest by the engine shed.

3610.jpg.b7065df8f1b11c61571735c3cc129267.jpg

Would that be the One Doored Engine Shed by any chance?:D

I know, I know, I've already got on my Bicycle and gone.:laugh: 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

And don’t forget the ‘best picket in the brewflade’  

So much for Mr Unwin’s  advertising-  I can’t remember the product!

I believe him to have been the Flowery Brewmaster?

• Informative/Useful 3

15 hours ago, DonB said:

I thought that a pub as ancient as the Unicorn seems to be would not have a cellar but have the smaller sizes barrels on a shelf / stand behind the counter and glasses/ tankards filled directly from the barrel. I didn't know Kevin had worked for Whitbread.... I was "teaching granny to suck eggs". My knowledge comes from having two aunts as well as my father all licensees in post-war England. 

A fine heritage if I may say :drinks:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1