Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, KNP said:

Bradley Manor easing into platform 2 at Encombe Town Station with the express passenger service.

Auto train waiting to see if it has any customers.

3614.jpg.4e9869c602a21c9401110e2c1a5bea8a.jpg

Wow that Manor went from racing to easing in the blink of an eye!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, KNP said:

3614.jpg.4e9869c602a21c9401110e2c1a5bea8a.jpg

***** MODELLING ALERT *****

Kevin, I'd be interested to learn how you planned and implemented the platforms, especially how you worked out the edge-to-stock gap. I'm at the platform stage with Easton and haven't yet decided how I'm going to do that. The nuisance factor with Easton is that the platform will be curved. I have read Scalescenes' method from their platform kit and made a start (stuck some printed sheets to 2mm greyboard), but wondered if you have a better method.

***** END OF MODELLING ALERT *****

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Kevin, I'd be interested to learn how you planned and implemented the platforms, especially how you worked out the edge-to-stock gap. I'm at the platform stage with Easton and haven't yet decided how I'm going to do that. The nuisance factor with Easton is that the platform will be curved. I have read Scalescenes' method from their platform kit and made a start (stuck some printed sheets to 2mm greyboard), but wondered if you have a better method.

Mick, I don't know what the Scalescenes method is but I would use the time-honoured method of a pencil at the end or centre (depending on whether the curve is concave or convex) of your longest coach and mark a template that way. The trick is to adjust the pencil so that on straight track the mark is about a scale 5ft from the track centre line.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Oiy You two, I comes from Plymoff, and I'm easily offended. that's goin to cost e a Pasty each later.:P

I lived in Plymouth for two years and If they're anything like the pasties and chips I used to get at Plymouth College of Technology they're better off handing them over:nono:. There were some interesting railways (or the remains of them)  round there though. I did venture into Cornwall ocasionally but always managed to escape. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

3 hours ago, Graham T said:

I've nothing against Plymouth personally (far better than Portsmouth), but as ex-Navy I have to confess that I was once a "snotty".  Casting my mind back, I suspect a few people had an aversion to me then as well!

I've never been in the Navy, and neither was my Father, but I'm now back just outside Pompey, but I try not to go into the City if  I can help it.

Sorry Kevin, Back on Topic now.:D

• Friendly/supportive 2

22 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Mick, I always lay my Platform first, then use the longest, widest stock to work out where to put the Track, I hope that helps.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

32 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

My starting point was this chart from Justin at Scale Model Scenery which I think is now a free download...

63937940_Model-Railway-Scale-Dimensions-Diagram(1).jpg.451687b7043b3695920dfa663fb7d381.jpg

All my platforms are straight so it was quite simple job to align them using the above.

For a previous layout with a curved platform I cut  a piece of card to the follow the line of the track and temporarily fixed to the baseboard and then with a clutch pencil taped to the leading edge of a coach I wheeled it down the platform marking a line as I went.

I formed datum points so I could line it up both for the platform edge and wall.

Hope this helps.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

3 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I've never been in the Navy, and neither was my Father, but I'm now back just outside Pompey, but I try not to go into the City if  I can help it.

Sorry Kevin, Back on Topic now.:D

Don't blame you Andrew. The main road direction sign in Pompey simply says  "Out of City"  as if anywhere else would be preferable. Mind you, S'ampton, where I lived for ten years, wasn't that much better.  A number of my wealthier colleagues lived in Winchester-Actually

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

My lad's in the Navy and in Fareham at the moment - should he or I be worried ?

Agree with Kevin re the pencil test....

No, not that one, the one to align platforms.

• Friendly/supportive 3

14 minutes ago, KNP said:

My starting point was this chart from Justin at Scale Model Scenery which I think is now a free download...

63937940_Model-Railway-Scale-Dimensions-Diagram(1).jpg.451687b7043b3695920dfa663fb7d381.jpg

All my platforms are straight so it was quite simple job to align them using the above.

For a previous layout with a curved platform I cut  a piece of card to the follow the line of the track and temporarily fixed to the baseboard and then with a clutch pencil taped to the leading edge of a coach I wheeled it down the platform marking a line as I went.

I formed datum points so I could line it up both for the platform edge and wall.

Hope this helps.

I cheated in a similar style. A lot of my passenger stock has footboards, so I did the pencil trick with those. I did realise though that wooden panelled stock is shorter and narrower than 1930s steel stock. So the pencil found itself attached to an old Airfix B set for trials. The clearances over the river bridge are particularly tight, and allowance had to be made for the slight curve either side of it.

Sometimes I can see the reasoning behind a 3ft long modern TMD layout! 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Mick, I don't know what the Scalescenes method is but I would use the time-honoured method of a pencil at the end or centre (depending on whether the curve is concave or convex) of your longest coach and mark a template that way. The trick is to adjust the pencil so that on straight track the mark is about a scale 5ft from the track centre line.

44 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Mick, I always lay my Platform first, then use the longest, widest stock to work out where to put the Track, I hope that helps.

40 minutes ago, KNP said:

28 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Agree with Kevin re the pencil test....

No, not that one, the one to align platforms.

19 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I cheated in a similar style. A lot of my passenger stock has footboards, so I did the pencil trick with those. I did realise though that wooden panelled stock is shorter and narrower than 1930s steel stock. So the pencil found itself attached to an old Airfix B set for trials. The clearances over the river bridge are particularly tight, and allowance had to be made for the slight curve either side of it.

Sometimes I can see the reasoning behind a 3ft long modern TMD layout! 

Many thanks to you all for taking the trouble to respond, and in such a short space of time!

I have given myself more problems than was necessary by laying the track first. This was done because I wanted to have the continuous curve through the platforms that the real place had. I compounded that by laying ballast in one siding that is next to a platform, and by not laying a flat surface across the whole station area.

The Scalescenes method is the same as the pencil method, and I plan to use that somehow. My baseboard is covered with 3mm closed-cell foam and that does not accept pencil marks. It does accept silver marker pen marks but they are 2mm wide! I was hoping (in vain, it seems) that the wonderful Kevin would have a similarly wonderful and magic solution.

Enough of my problems, back to Little Muddle.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Apologies Kevin...

:offtopic:

Mick, lay a piece of paper over the track where the platform is to be.

Run your finger over the platform side rail to provide an imprint, then cut the paper to that line - it should then sit against the rail.

Then use the pencil strapped to the coach method as described, and re-cut the paper to this new line. This then forms the profile for the platform edge.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Apologies Kevin...

:offtopic:

Mick, lay a piece of paper over the track where the platform is to be.

Run your finger over the platform side rail to provide an imprint, then cut the paper to that line - it should then sit against the rail.

Then use the pencil strapped to the coach method as described, and re-cut the paper to this new line. This then forms the profile for the platform edge.

Caveat to that is if you're using wide cylindered GWR locos or wide diesels, such as an 08 with outside rods, you might need a slightly bigger gap.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

Oddly enough during trials on my layout, I expected problems with 2-6-2Ts and 4-4-0s, but it was Bachmann (ex Mainline) TOADS that hit platform ramps and bridge girders due to the rather narrow back to back and sloppy bearings which allow them to waddle. Add to that, being towed off centre by the tension lock coupling and they tend to "crab".

The lower footboards can then ride up a platform ramp and tip the TOAD on its side like a dead horse.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Oddly enough during trials on my layout, I expected problems with 2-6-2Ts and 4-4-0s, but it was Bachmann (ex Mainline) TOADS that hit platform ramps and bridge girders due to the rather narrow back to back and sloppy bearings which allow them to waddle. Add to that, being towed off centre by the tension lock coupling and they tend to "crab".

The lower footboards can then ride up a platform ramp and tip the TOAD on its side like a dead horse.

Crabs, toads and horses. Sounds like something from a French menu.

• Like 2
  • Funny 9

30 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Crabs, toads and horses. Sounds like something from a French menu.

I realise that in order to keep it relevant I should have restricted my food related analogies to traditional English fayre such as kebabs, pizza and curry....:nono::D

• Funny 10

8 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Many thanks to you all for taking the trouble to respond, and in such a short space of time!

I have given myself more problems than was necessary by laying the track first. This was done because I wanted to have the continuous curve through the platforms that the real place had. I compounded that by laying ballast in one siding that is next to a platform, and by not laying a flat surface across the whole station area.

The Scalescenes method is the same as the pencil method, and I plan to use that somehow. My baseboard is covered with 3mm closed-cell foam and that does not accept pencil marks. It does accept silver marker pen marks but they are 2mm wide! I was hoping (in vain, it seems) that the wonderful Kevin would have a similarly wonderful and magic solution.

Enough of my problems, back to Little Muddle.

Hi @Mick Bonwick . I have built an island platform on a curve. I have got as far as a cardboard mock-up . I've described how I did it step by step  on page 1 of my layout topic in my signature (2nd June 2018).  I can't claim its perfect as I haven't been able to build the permanent version as yet. Hope you crack it ok. Back to LM . . . . .

• Informative/Useful 3

14 hours ago, Graham T said:

I've nothing against Plymouth personally (far better than Portsmouth), but as ex-Navy I have to confess that I was once a "snotty".  Casting my mind back, I suspect a few people had an aversion to me then as well!

Well so was I….. and ditto. I could have been an Admiral but fell a bit short….. as for Guzz versus Pompey, well, I’d beg to differ! Won’t mention Chatham….

15 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Oiy You two, I comes from Plymoff, and I'm easily offended. that's goin to cost e a Pasty each later.:P

“IVOR DEWDNEY” at stand easy for the hangoverally challenged. 

Back to the modelling…. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

7 hours ago, snailpace said:

Won’t mention Chatham….

Back to the modelling…. 

Lived there as well, Dad was in the Admiralty, so lived in Rochester and Hoo.

Back to Little Muddle, and I feel a Railcar full of thirsty travellers may be Due for the Official Pub opening Kevin.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, snailpace said:

Well so was I….. and ditto. I could have been an Admiral but fell a bit short….. as for Guzz versus Pompey, well, I’d beg to differ! Won’t mention Chatham….

“IVOR DEWDNEY” at stand easy for the hangoverally challenged. 

Back to the modelling…. 

Ivor Dewdney's are better than Ginsters any day.... but other makes are available that are streets ahead.... the bakers in Mortenhampstead .....

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Caveat to that is if you're using wide cylindered GWR locos or wide diesels, such as an 08 with outside rods, you might need a slightly bigger gap.

Yes the method is foolproof until you test a Bachman Farish 08 down your GWR BLT.

Not bought for that layout but was convenient for a quick turn. Coupling rods bend very easily in N but I’ve now got the same lack of clearance problem with a Union Mills Dukedog. 

• Friendly/supportive 6

You probably already know that a lot of RTR outside cylinder leading bogie locos have their cylinders set wider than prototype to negotiate train set curves, which becomes a problem when trying to apply prototypical dimensions elsewhere.

It also causes the chapel swear box to overflow.

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KNP said:

I have collating the pictures taken by a group of train spotters who where present when Bradley Manor steamed into view!

They where in various locations along the line, by the derelict barn, creamery water tower and branch track.

I've had a chat with them all and they have agreed to supply me on an occasional basis pictures of train movements on the main line.

I'd like to know how you managed to get them all in that room. Ah! Did you only allow them in one at a time? I hope that they didn't eat all of your biscuits.

• Funny 6