Little Muddle

KNP

8 hours ago, KNP said:

Our local friends captured a freight train passing through and sent me a couple of pictures.

Couldn't decide which was best so here are both of them for you to decide your favourite.

Personally I like the first one as there is more interest in the picture with the sheep in the background.

Interesting comments on picture 2 though about the train running out of track. Doesn't the human brain just fill in the gaps and, based on previous experience, assume there is more track off the picture? Or is that a difference between an 'art wired' brain compared to one wired for engineering ? 

If you saw  a bus going over a bridge, your brain would assume there was more road on the other side. Noted though that some people do seem to see Stukas in that situation. . .. . 

Discuss . . . . . :rolleyes:

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

There also might not be more road on the other side of the bridge, just a large hole with bits of EFE Dennis Optaire / Leyland National II scattered around it....

The pub, btw looks wonderful, there's so many details that concur with things seen in real life that convince you it could be real.

The gates into the back yard for instance, I've made a pair very similar to that! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

All of your shots are good Kevin, but that's one of the best I've seen for a while in terms of realism. And in full colour too. Harder to make it look real like that, in my view.

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

37 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

All of your shots are good Kevin, but that's one of the best I've seen for a while in terms of realism. And in full colour too. Harder to make it look real like that, in my view.

Thanks

I believe that that the nearer eye level you can get plus adding the feel of distance with the subject disappearing out of view then more like the actual world it looks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 minute ago, KNP said:

Updating the trackside view with the new revised backscene.

3629.jpg.f7c3df8015d048698594c1416339883b.jpg

Aerial view from you know who...

Snowflake in town, no doubt to try out the local hospitality.

3630.jpg.5f95a701ee5598c4aa6f2b86458d5b1c.jpg

Much better, in my humble opinion. Its much less in your face.

• Agree 3

10 minutes ago, DonB said:

SORRY Kevin,  but those beer barrels behind "The Station" appear to be out of your  time frame.  They look like modern aluminium one in the photos.

Agree

I have some replacement wooden ones but with this module being subject to a re-build I have ignored replacing them as The Station PH might be converted into a shop, or something, or completely rebuilt as the brickpaper has faded which is the likely option.

Been a debate and discussion on here a few years ago in the early days of using compatible inks against named manufacturers ink.

A few of the new wooden barrels will then used across the road at The Unicorn.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

So, the "Station", the "Unicorn" and the "Dog" - choices, choices...

3 minutes ago, KNP said:

The Station PH might be converted into a shop, or something

Better be the "Station" then, before it shuts.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, KNP said:

The Squadron Leader was tasked with making a few flypasts and taking some shots.

3624.jpg.3099a7118e3f8de16159987bfbb2bf18.jpg

3627.jpg.35c5f5bdc095a94301c6ee7b5def85d5.jpg

3628.jpg.c4da73aad681aecaef9299d0e32b4ca1.jpg

Now I had already placed a new section of backscene behind the outbuildings that raised the horizon so to give the impression of the ground sloping up towards the town

Good Lord in the first 2 photos Squadron Leader is either standing on the roof of a building or he has taken low flying to a whole new level!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bogie said:

Good Lord in the first 2 photos Squadron Leader is either standing on the roof of a building or he has taken low flying to a whole new level!

Zoom!

• Funny 2

I think it would be a shame to lose The Station.  Two, or more, pubs in close proximity to each other was not as rare as people think, and often catered to different clientele.  Where I live there were once  5 pubs within 250mtrs of each other, of which 3 of the originals still remain and another one opened about 35 years ago.  In the time period in which LM is set this would be especially true.  The Unicorn would be popular with locals such as farmers shopkeepers and, dare I say it, a more mature customer.  The railway company, seeing this, and wanting to encourage visitors to LM, would open their own pub, the Station.  They would see it as more modern (!) and enticing to their passengers.  Also, the younger ages, and more adventurous drinkers, of LM  would also frequent it as it would appear a: more upmarket, and b: sell a different range of beers and spirits.

Roja

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

Entirely up to you what you do, it's your trainset! But IMHO the Station is typical of the type of speculative development that sprang up near railway stations even in some of the most out of the way locations. I can think of several locations around where I live that there's a large pub and perhaps typical late Victorian shops nearby. Investors hoped that the coming of the railway would have the effect of the wild west frontier town springing up, or a village turning into a large commuter satellite. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. 

Even if you totally rebuild the area, I think that the station pub just works. In fact ( and don't think of it as a criticism, because your modelmaking skills are way beyond anything that I can produce.) the only thing on the whole layout that I would change now is the sign above the barber's wooden shop, it looks about thirty years too modern to me.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Entirely up to you what you do, it's your trainset! But IMHO the Station is typical of the type of speculative development that sprang up near railway stations even in some of the most out of the way locations. I can think of several locations around where I live that there's a large pub and perhaps typical late Victorian shops nearby. Investors hoped that the coming of the railway would have the effect of the wild west frontier town springing up, or a village turning into a large commuter satellite. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. 

Even if you totally rebuild the area, I think that the station pub just works. In fact ( and don't think of it as a criticism, because your modelmaking skills are way beyond anything that I can produce.) the only thing on the whole layout that I would change now is the sign above the barber's wooden shop, it looks about thirty years too modern to me.

Thanks.

I wouldn’t call it a train set as that implies something runs on it!!!!!

Still early days with The Station module, might even leave it.......who knows which direction the wind blows.

It could become a....

Tattoo Parlour

or a

Betting Shop

or a

Charity Shop

or an

Off License

or a

Pub

who knows as these things seem to creep up on me when I least expect it....?

Regarding the barbers sign, the font is of the correct era and it was originally done as a joke but it would change in any proposed building works.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

52 minutes ago, KNP said:

Just ‘tweaked’ that back scene again as I didn’t like the straight roof ridge line on the furthest building so added a couple of raised tree outlines to give an undulating feel.

CD704AA9-1AF0-4029-9C23-87D374E0F64C.jpeg.7f863495e9b47a2aaefff44dc26571b0.jpeg

Now the tree line looks better

Having stared at the scene there was something I couldn't quite put my finger on that was jarring. Now I appreciate that you haven't finished so feel free to 'tell me off' and 'its all in hand' but the pavement on the other side opposite the pub stops too abruptly. Yes I know this does occur but as I said it jars to my eye. Other than that much improved.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, KNP said:

Thanks.

Still early days with The Station module, might even leave it.......who knows which direction the wind blows.

It could become a....

Tattoo Parlour

or a

Betting Shop

or a

Charity Shop

or an

Off License

or a

Pub

Regarding the barbers sign, the font is of the correct era and it was originally done as a joke but it would change in any proposed building works.

That was the same joke that we used when renovating my friends shop and people stopped to ask what we were doing! 

Because there's not enough of those in Britain, right?

Next to my friend's shop, another new beauty parlour has opened up.

This morning they were finishing up the window signage with a list of services. We are tempted to add "miracles worked" and "pigs glittered" when the workmen have gone. Some of the current fashions are so cheap and gaudy they would make a transvestite wince...

I'm glad you didn't mind my comments about the sign, but I do still hold you chiefly responsible for me spending hours making little sheds and swearing at obdurate pointwork! :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

1 hour ago, KNP said:

Thanks.

It could become a....

Tattoo Parlour

or a

Betting Shop

or a

Charity Shop

or an

Off License

or a

Pub

Scraping the barrel there Kevin! A few observations if I may be so bold from the depths of this comfy armchair..

Tattoo Parlour ... possible for the local seafaring denizens, but rather likely to be someone's front room in a back street, in the 30s.

or a

Betting Shop ...  Illegal !

or a

Charity Shop ... Unheard of in the 30s although desperately needed in some parts of the UK back then , even if a proportion of the population were too proud to accept "Charity"

or an

Off License ... most pubs had an off-license,   serious / pretentious  imbibers went to wine merchants in the nearest large town / city

or a

Pub  ...others have made valid points here.

For what it's worth, I suggest a locally owned grocery store with Butcher's Shop built in. (RH side? for access --see below)) 

Where I live in S. Derbyshire we had a Butcher's shop with a small slaughterhouse attached at the rear. Live Cattle, Pigs  and Sheep  plus fowl and Game were delivered by truck as required to maintain the boast on the shop frontage of  "Fresh Meat". Existed until about 1950.. 

Other activity saw Hide going to a tannery for leather, bones to a "Glue Maker" and sheep skins for Winter clothing etc.

I believe that after some local County Fairs,  it was not unusual for a prize winning beast to be paraded through some villages /towns bearing its Rosettes, on its way to the butcher's.  (Don't know of that happening here.)

• Like 6