Little Muddle

KNP

2 hours ago, KNP said:

Just ‘tweaked’ that back scene again as I didn’t like the straight roof ridge line on the furthest building so added a couple of raised tree outlines to give an undulating feel.

CD704AA9-1AF0-4029-9C23-87D374E0F64C.jpeg.7f863495e9b47a2aaefff44dc26571b0.jpeg

Now the tree line looks better

Adding that tree line just does a lot to "downsize" the town/village of Little Muddle and make it a more appropriate destination for the size of the branch line. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

‘Sergeants’ was a popular bicycle shop/ repairer in Cheam Village in the ‘50s which also sold Meccano sets and parts and model aircraft kits. Definitely a one stop shop. Seen here with the Raleigh signs. Must be postwar with the beastly sodium lights

DC4F521C-219D-4622-A6DA-E7F0D8791AE2.jpeg

Edited by Limpley Stoker
Found photo!
  • Like 10

On 29/05/2021 at 09:41, KNP said:

I'm no expert on photography as most of what I've picked up has been self taught, advise or just plain trial and error.

So here goes.

Using my Panasonic TZ100 as guide these are the gridlines on the backscreen which are accessed by pressing the DISP button a few times to cycle through the view options.

IMG_3346.jpg.8f9f71958c99d3f4c0fe0a3709075eda.jpg

The first picture is a standard one with the Thornycroft lorry in the centre of the picture.

P1150706.JPG.e527b45179fff0812f518cec593565f0.JPG

Then using the lines as a guide the intersection points are centred on the side screen.

Starting top left and going clockwise

P1150707.JPG.9a15409f062e91161b942f2254667ede.JPG

P1150708.JPG.067fd040e1a2ef3365656ab7d7eb2a4d.JPG

P1150709.JPG.f953b4057cb8dc06e0943cc60783cc2d.JPG

P1150710.JPG.fe77ca982a5a0f1ddc553ed06b6592ef.JPG

Hopefully you can see the difference in balance/layout all all you then need to do is decide which one you like.

As I said, this is very basic stuff as there is a huge amount written about photography and composition but I'll just stick to this for now.

Took me long enough to master focus stacking!!!!

I've just got a Lumix and found those grid lines really helpful. What settings do you use to take your pics? At the moment I'm just getting used to the Auto settings and haven't taken anything of my layout yet. Do you use any special lighting? 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, sb67 said:

I've just got a Lumix and found those grid lines really helpful. What settings do you use to take your pics? At the moment I'm just getting used to the Auto settings and haven't taken anything of my layout yet. Do you use any special lighting? 

I'll get back to you on this one as it is not a simple answer.

Need to collate some info first.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, KNP said:

The Squadron Leader was tasked with making a few flypasts and taking some shots.

Hi Kevin @KNP Those and the following street and track level pictures are just so inspiring.

I need to get this 12":1ft house finished so I can free up the time to get my layout installed in its new location and get back some 4mm:1ft modelling.   

John

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 29/05/2021 at 20:51, MrWolf said:

bits of EFE Dennis Optaire / Leyland National II scattered around

Wouldn't you just then inadvertently have created the prototype Pacer unit?  This could mean having a bus on the bridge and one under it . . . . . 

. . . . . exits stage right and descends steps into Anderson Shelter. . . . .

John 

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Kevin, I need to improve the lighting in my railway spare room, as it only has a single ceiling mounted spot-type light at the moment.  Never mind photography, the light is too poor to even work in there in the evenings.  Due to the shape of the ceiling (it's an attic room) I'm looking at a pelmet mounted LED light strip, and remember seeing what you had done earlier in this thread.  Would you mind reminding me of the details please?  As in the spec of the LED strip, supplier, and so on.  Thank you!

• Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Kevin, I need to improve the lighting in my railway spare room, as it only has a single ceiling mounted spot-type light at the moment.  Never mind photography, the light is too poor to even work in there in the evenings.  Due to the shape of the ceiling (it's an attic room) I'm looking at a pelmet mounted LED light strip, and remember seeing what you had done earlier in this thread.  Would you mind reminding me of the details please?  As in the spec of the LED strip, supplier, and so on.  Thank you!

Purchased off e-bay

Superbright 5630 5730 LED Strip Lights Waterproof IP65 240leds/m 220V+EU/UK Plug

Still available as I have just checked but no doubt you can get these anywhere.

I also purchased additional fixing cleats which I fixed every 300mm (or thereabouts) to stop drooping as the ones supplied would only have done every 1m.

Sounds like the first thing to do is upgraded that ceiling light so you can what you are doing!

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KNP said:

In answer to a question from SB67 regarding lighting and camera settings

These are my most used camera settings.

Program (P)

Standard (Photo style)

Picture setting - 3:2 4K 8M

Metering mode - Centre weighted

Auto White Balance

No flash

Auto ISO (max setting at 1600 - this suits my room but yours might be different)

AF Macro

2 sec self timer

Stabilizer - full

Post Focus - I use a separate media player MPC-HC to down load individual focused frames then run through Affinity to focus merge)

If I am using close ups say with 300mm then I will run the camera on Aperture (A) F8 setting with helps in removing ghosting when there is a sharp colour difference is apparent but you will need additional lighting for this

Lighting

To start with I use a lot of lighting in this room

Ceiling light - Twin 1500mm cat 2 strip light (Cat 2 is the one with no diffuser but reflective panels to help reduce glare. 

Layout pelmet - 2 x LED coiled lighting strips at 240 led's / m, one white and the other warm white

Additional portable photography stand with diffuser umbrella and a 150w curly wurly daylight bulb

For close up pictures I will sometimes use an ordinary 300mm square tin foil cake base to reflect light back into the shadow areas like boiler fronts or running gear.

Pelmet lighting

IMG_0207.jpg.1f6d355ea2c082f355c910a75cc8021c.jpg

Typical picture set up with the camera controlled remotely from my iPhone

IMG_1879.jpg.487f3c98667bcd161ff7fa380d5a751d.jpg

I think that cover about everything, if I realise I've missed anything then I will post later.

Very comprehensive run down @KNP thanks for sharing.

I still can’t get my lighting right for Henley. The rolls of LED lights, after nearly 2 years have started to blow in 1m sections, so are now being replaced.

Thanks again for the information.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, KNP said:

Thanks.

I wouldn’t call it a train set as that implies something runs on it!!!!!

Still early days with The Station module, might even leave it.......who knows which direction the wind blows.

It could become a....

Tattoo Parlour

or a

Betting Shop

or a

Charity Shop

or an

Off License

or a

Pub

who knows as these things seem to creep up on me when I least expect it....?

Regarding the barbers sign, the font is of the correct era and it was originally done as a joke but it would change in any proposed building works.

Or a Costa :D

• Funny 5

27 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Too close

FF48B835-8F8F-4ADD-B8C8-C07B379F7FD8.jpg.d2a7f36629cba898d25c678a745757ea.jpg

Any idea how much a front lens costs for a TZ100?

Well, till I can get it fixed no more pictures I’m afraid........you’ll just have to twiddle your thumbs!!!!

What I can do is post a written description of the picture I would have taken!!!

• Like 1
  • Funny 9

Let’s have a go

Surging across the viaduct the Earl steams pulling the local passenger service towards LM station.

Passengers looking expectantly out the windows at the passing views.

Steam billowing from the funnel but wait is that signal down, yes, 

we going to have to stop....and wait....

This is easier, you can use your imagination to fill in the gaps!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, KNP said:

Let’s have a go

Surging across the viaduct the Earl steams pulling the local passenger service towards LM station.

Passengers looking expectantly out the windows at the passing views.

Steam billowing from the funnel but wait is that signal down, yes, 

we going to have to stop....and wait....

This is easier, you can use your imagination to fill in the gaps!

Now read it again and imagine its Ringo Star telling the story 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Snorting noisily as she passes
Silent miles of wind-bent grasses.

Birds turn their heads as she approaches,
Stare from bushes at her blank-faced coaches.

Sheep-dogs cannot turn her course;
They slumber on with paws across.

In the farm she passes no one wakes,
But a jug in a bedroom gently shakes.

WH Auden

• Like 13

11 hours ago, KNP said:

In answer to a question from SB67 regarding lighting and camera settings

These are my most used camera settings.

Program (P)

Standard (Photo style)

Picture setting - 3:2 4K 8M

Metering mode - Centre weighted

Auto White Balance

No flash

Auto ISO (max setting at 1600 - this suits my room but yours might be different)

AF Macro

2 sec self timer

Stabilizer - full

Post Focus - I use a separate media player MPC-HC to down load individual focused frames then run through Affinity to focus merge)

If I am using close ups say with 300mm then I will run the camera on Aperture (A) F8 setting with helps in removing ghosting when there is a sharp colour difference is apparent but you will need additional lighting for this

Lighting

To start with I use a lot of lighting in this room

Ceiling light - Twin 1500mm cat 2 strip light (Cat 2 is the one with no diffuser but reflective panels to help reduce glare. 

Layout pelmet - 2 x LED coiled lighting strips at 240 led's / m, one white and the other warm white

Additional portable photography stand with diffuser umbrella and a 150w curly wurly daylight bulb

For close up pictures I will sometimes use an ordinary 300mm square tin foil cake base to reflect light back into the shadow areas like boiler fronts or running gear.

Pelmet lighting

IMG_0207.jpg.1f6d355ea2c082f355c910a75cc8021c.jpg

Typical picture set up with the camera controlled remotely from my iPhone

IMG_1879.jpg.487f3c98667bcd161ff7fa380d5a751d.jpg

I think that cover about everything, if I realise I've missed anything then I will post later.

kevin that breakdown is fantastic, thank you so much for that. I definitley  need more lighting to get pics of my mode!s, I have a led striplight on the shelf above my layout but it does cast a few shadows. I'll look at those umberella diffusers. 

• Friendly/supportive 1