Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, KNP said:

Ladies and Gentlemen some news to pass on.

This picture may be the last picture of the 'little red tractor' known to man before its demise.

It was caught, by chance, sleeping peaceful in its garage before the arrival of the Fordson 'orange peril'....

3644.jpg.c4ad6c331b7744120bc01f0105377322.jpg

Well, I got a little red tractor
Too lazy to plough 'fore day
Well, I got a little red tractor
Too lazy to plough 'fore day
Keep everything in the barnyard
Upset in every way

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Tractors are not like wives, a man can have two of them without fear of legal or matrimonial consequences. 

Bigamy is having one wife too many.  So is monogamy.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

54 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Bigamy is having one wife too many.  So is monogamy.

I would call you a cynic, except that I found that being married ruined my love life.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 06/06/2021 at 09:35, Mick Bonwick said:

I'm not an expert in any sense of the word, but there is a depiction of a WW2 enamel sign that shows 2 'funnels'. You will need a female figure in dungarees to go with it, though.

344845817_FordsonNWW2Poster.jpg.006759ea07ec8001a2788357bb88186e.jpg

My problem with this is, what is that Lass doing standing on the plough.
I was taught to use a trailer plough by my late Friend Lewis, the tractor driver on my pre-college farm.
He was an expert competition ploughman with both mounted plough, on his Fordson Power Major and a Ransomes trailed plough behind a Standard Fordson. 
You DID not ride on the plough. Those two handles could be reached from the tractor seat by the driver
I assume they had stopped work to refuel.
I know, I'm being anal.
I'll get my coat!
Love the atmosphere of this layout.
Regards,
Chris.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Sandhole said:

I was taught to use a trailer plough by my late Friend Lewis, the tractor driver on my pre-college farm.
He was an expert competition ploughman with both mounted plough, on his Fordson Power Major and a Ransomes trailed plough behind a Standard Fordson. 
You DID not ride on the plough. Those two handles could be reached from the tractor seat by the driver
I know, I'm being anal.
I'll get my coat!
Regards,
Chris.

Attitudes may well have changed between the 1930s and the 1980s. ;)

Edited by Mick Bonwick
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Sandhole said:

I know, I'm being anal.
I'll get my coat!
Regards,
Chris.

I would say she's the driver of the other one which looks like a wartime build with economy mudguards. As you say, most likely refuelling although you wouldn't really want to stop with three in the ground, should get the the headland first, doesn't look heavy land though. I have a feeling there's quite a bit of artistic licence here.

1 hour ago, Sandhole said:

In case anybody thinks I was a tractor driving master, this is me in the 1980's having buried this beast.:lol:

IMG_20210609_134721.jpg

To be fair, the tractor's not stuck, just the trailer and someone else loaded  that... 8100? 8210? or what?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

I would say she's the driver of the other one which looks like a wartime build with economy mudguards. As you say, most likely refuelling although you wouldn't really want to stop with three in the ground, should get the the headland first, doesn't look heavy land though. I have a feeling there's quite a bit of artistic licence here.

Unless she has very short legs, she isn't standing on the plough, rather just behind the rear wheel. 

As you say, much artistic licence!

11 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

To be fair, the tractor's not stuck, just the trailer and someone else loaded  that... 8100? 8210? or what?

Must be an old photo, the cab hasn't dissolved. ;)

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Ford 8200. FWD. 
She had the ford un-turbo charged truck engine. 
Flat cab side gear change. The Best of those Ford tractors.
Trust me Wordsell Forever, she's stuck.
My Dear Friend Ted, who took the photo, threw me a shovel to fill my ruts in , after he had uncoupled the forage harvester and pulled me out.
Mick Bonwick, I appreciate things might have changed, but that's not how you use a Trailer plough.
Sally, a dear Friend of mine and Ted, who was a Land Girl said they were trained properly on operating a trailer plough.
You don't have a second person standing on the implement operating it.
Sally RIP, a fantastic woman.:heart_mini:

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Worsdell forever said:

Could well be.
Love it's Hurricane's coming in.

• Like 2

My next REALLY anal statement is that, those Hurricanes haven't engaged the Luftwaffe.
The red dope patches over the machine gun ports are still intact. wouldn't be like that if they'd been fired.
I'm DEFINITELY getting my coat now.:lol:

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

How about if it is a wartime.image, why is the two gallon petrol can painted blue instead of grey with the word POOL stencilled on? 

Or is it just that "spare" can that was never returned for its deposit?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

How about if it is a wartime.image, why is the two gallon petrol can painted blue instead of grey with the word POOL stencilled on? 

Or is it just that "spare" can that was never returned for its deposit?

Would it not be esso blue? The tractor having a TVO engine?

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Worsdell forever said:

Would it not be esso blue? The tractor having a TVO engine?

A top up of petrol for the starting tank is more likely in one of those Valor 2 gallon cans which were made almost exclusively for the petrol companies. The TVO tractor vaporising oil was generally delivered in 40 gallon drums and in the field a 5 gallon drum would be most likely. 

I was just trying to make @Sandholefeel less pedantic! :D

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2