Little Muddle

KNP

1 hour ago, KNP said:

Left the hand brake off?

They don't really work that well anyway. Big pieces of wood if left running, if not, leave in gear, weird differential takes care of the rest.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I read the MRC articles on thatched roofs the Pendon way back in the 1980s, I still haven't worked up the courage to have a go.

That roof is simply incredible.

Edited by MrWolf
Correction
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KNP said:

I will post in a few days how I did it but it’s not quite the Pendon way,

like the song said ‘I did it my way’

plus a lot of trial and error.

Any bad language??:lol:

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

14 hours ago, KNP said:

I will post in a few days how I did it but it’s not quite the Pendon way,

like the song said ‘I did it my way’

plus a lot of trial and error.

Over the years I have discovered that if I had taken the time to learn the right way of doing something I would have saved myself a lot of time and inconvenience. But in my favour I would say that I would not then have acquired and mastered the wide range of expletives and obscenities that are available to us as English speaking people. 

There are plus sides to everything. ;)

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, KNP said:

Want to do something that is fiddly but well worth the effort try fixing some decorative spars to a thatched ridge.

Started on the back slope so if it went wrong I could remove and no one would be any the wiser!!!

About an hours work there!!!

1A7B98EB-CA1C-4EC2-909B-0A749AEB9770.jpeg.0bc27b7170e8142560d66247d47dbd52.jpeg

Ordinary thread used in Smokey grey but will over paint to weather.

Just a suggestion but maybe the chimney pots would benefit from bedding in with a bit of plastic putty idc 

Brian

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Over the years I have discovered that if I had taken the time to learn the right way of doing something I would have saved myself a lot of time and inconvenience. But in my favour I would say that I would not then have acquired and mastered the wide range of expletives and obscenities that are available to us as English speaking people. 

In that case, I'm very lucky. I have gleaned expletives from across Europe, the former Soviet Union and Africa. 

Whatever helps you deal with life that doesn't kill you is fine.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Dragonboy said:

Just a suggestion but maybe the chimney pots would benefit from bedding in with a bit of plastic putty idc 

Brian

Odds and ends to do

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

I really learnt to string expletives together, when I got my wedding tackle caught on a small valve when extracting myself from the port wing, after steam tightening the port boiler handhole doors, the rest of the gang were out on the plates, taking the, you know what and laughing.

They suggested afterwards, that I should be nominated for a Nobel prize for swearing.

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Lovely job on the pub.

One thing that jars with me is the soldier arches over windows.  I know on modern ones the bricks vertically do not extend past the actual opening because the are siting on a Catnic lintel. I also know that some used an iron strip acroos to support them before that. However on an old building I prefer to have either an arch or have the end bricks splay out at the top so the down pressure pushes them tight together.

Any I have done I have made an arch over the windows (this is full size). Personal choice  of course.

Don

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Donw said:

Lovely job on the pub.

One thing that jars with me is the soldier arches over windows.  I know on modern ones the bricks vertically do not extend past the actual opening because the are siting on a Catnic lintel. I also know that some used an iron strip acroos to support them before that. However on an old building I prefer to have either an arch or have the end bricks splay out at the top so the down pressure pushes them tight together.

Any I have done I have made an arch over the windows (this is full size). Personal choice  of course.

Don

Like this ?

1118266152_20210615_1821472.jpg.404c3da68bafc4183eeab625fb1eaadd.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

The picture above is from a Matthew Rice book 'Village Buildings of Britain', from a house in Great Tew. 

Looking at other houses in the village, we find this:

image.png.4964d8e66b8c08b856ecf27ee7d3f699.png

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2