Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

IMG_20210701_000313.jpg.964465baaf2572f4bb64a61129397fed.jpg

411-800x800.jpg.bde5867af57afa4a73fa4cbcd056f903.jpg

Ratio kit 411 by the look of it. I'm certain that a neater job can be made of the stay rods, the plastic filament in the kit isn't easy to straighten out. No big deal.

Useful.

48 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

This should also be useful, there's a working drawing of the original here too.

As the blog entry shows clearly, the GWR/LMS bow has a continuous arc, whereas the GWR bow has the characteristic flat section at the top.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Fair point, but I suspect that if you also want to model the ends of the bow in the raised position as per the prototype photo, creating the flat top wouldn't exactly be difficult, it's only a little piece of etched brass, easily modified.

The kit is still a good starting point unless you're feeling particularly masochistic / pedantic.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

From the single set of tracks it looks like that’s the first time the tractors come through the gate so someone’s getting a shellacking for mucking up the nice clean gravel

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KNP said:

Back down on the farm, they're still chatting.....

3691.jpg.a31671b9e484ce508b4e141f03cdfb84.jpg

"...so we started the next rubber and I bid 3 Clubs and Dolly bid 3 Hearts and Maise bid 2 Clubs and Marge bid 4 Diamonds so I bid 5 Clubs and Dolly bid..."
"Take a breath, love..."

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KNP said:

Back down on the farm, they're still chatting.....

...so then my friend Kai, suggested that, as the evenings were so warm, why don't we play cards on the bridge.

I said to him, what, do you mean, playing bridge over the river Kai?

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, KNP said:

Long shot of 5531 residing in the head shunt.

3692.jpg.436ffb756c01028957bf9b2f30346189.jpg

PS - after taking this picture I noticed one of the sheep had had to much 'falling over water' but is know standing proud again!

The thing that strikes me about this photo is the precise straightness of the point rodding!

The tolerances involved to get that right at this scale are very fine. Wonderful attention to detail.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

The thing that strikes me about this photo is the precise straightness of the point rodding!

The tolerances involved to get that right at this scale are very fine. Wonderful attention to detail.

Thanks

I made a thick card spacer to assist.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

1 hour ago, KNP said:

Long shot of 5531 residing in the head shunt.

3692.jpg.436ffb756c01028957bf9b2f30346189.jpg

PS - after taking this picture I noticed one of the sheep had had to much 'falling over water' but is know standing proud again!

Just worked my way through this thread from Page 1 until I found your the scaled track plan in order to remind myself how much room this scene takes up - if I’m right it’s about 6’.

It’s amazing how realistic it is for what is essentially such a small space; it looks so much bigger!

From a personal point of view, it’s encouraging that the curves, which I believe to be 2’ to 3’ radius, look so much greater. I hope I have the same success with the main curve on my own layout.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

Just worked my way through this thread from Page 1 until I found your the scaled track plan in order to remind myself how much room this scene takes up - if I’m right it’s about 6’.

It’s amazing how realistic it is for what is essentially such a small space; it looks so much bigger!

From a personal point of view, it’s encouraging that the curves, which I believe to be 2’ to 3’ radius, look so much greater. I hope I have the same success with the main curve on my own layout.

Thanks

Room is about 8’ square.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 minute ago, Stubby47 said:

Hadn't really noticed it before, but I like the multiple use cattle dock & end-loading platform.

Thanks

Not totally sure what it was but always believed it was for loading vehicles hence the side fences and gate on the end.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Now in that second photo, the sharpness of the curve is more apparent (at least to my mind); just like I found with my experiments printing out different Templot plans of my layout.

I’m certain I’ve read somewhere that viewing a curve from the outside makes it appear more curved than it is and less curved when seen from the inside.

I could be completely wrong though!

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1