Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, KNP said:

Though Colonel's wife must be so patient as never seems to catch anything.......not even a cold!

She's obviously hooked.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

I notice that Kevin does not subscribe to the  "not detailed because it can't be seen from normal viewing positions." school of modelling.

I noticed the detail shown of the rear wall of the station building.

The path/alleway passing behind the station building looks a little overgrown with weeds, is the upkeep the responsibility of the Town Council or the Railway  Company?  Either way, it reflects the typical low passenger numbers on minor branch lines. (Not that Kevin's work could be classed as minor! )

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, DonB said:

I notice that Kevin does not subscribe to the  "not detailed because it can't be seen from normal viewing positions." school of modelling.

I noticed the detail shown of the rear wall of the station building.

The path/alleway passing behind the station building looks a little overgrown with weeds, is the upkeep the responsibility of the Town Council or the Railway  Company?  Either way, it reflects the typical low passenger numbers on minor branch lines. (Not that Kevin's work could be classed as minor! )

Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it isn't growing. Time for the man with the strimmer I think. Oops sorry this is LM isn't it so it'll be a man with a scythe then.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

I took a leaf out of that book when making buildings for my own layout. Both the crossing keepers house and the station building are about six inches from the backscene and I initially thought - why model the side facing a wall?

But as soon as I started cutting parts out and looking at it on my bench I thought - What if I want to take photos of the hidden areas from ground level as Kevin does? What if I build another layout and fancy reusing those buildings?

A bigger problem was that I would know that the buildings were 'theatre sets' as it were and I knew that I would end up rebuilding or replacing them.

So here are the as yet unfinished, but will be before installation backs of the two buildings.

IMG_20201230_000856.jpg.317098a2b7dacddba619458d366b4eef.jpg

Both of these walls are facing the backscene.

IMG_20210420_230422.jpg.7019c714748f0d19605ecf363290521a.jpg

This back wall is only about two inches from the backscene.

Edited by MrWolf
Picture no attach!
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

25 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Both of these walls are facing the backscene.

They are excellent. Beautifully modelled.

Backscenes are a bit of a conundrum in getting perspective right. The proximity of buildings such as the 2 inch clearance mentioned by @MrWolf adds a further challenge.

There was a French rural layout that did this incredibly well by tricking the eye into thinking low relief buildings had sloping roofs when they were actually vertical. Spent more time looking at the buildings than at the trains. Can't remember the name of the layout though. Something like Polpero  (?) No doubt others on here will be able to help.

With my own urban  layout I am tempted by the 'hazy' backscene achieved on Leicester South Https://www.shipleymrs.co.uk/leicestersouth . I don't have sufficient space for perspective modelling/ shrinking scales towards the back.

John

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Fishplate said:

Backscenes are a bit of a conundrum in getting perspective right. The proximity of buildings such as the 2 inch clearance mentioned by @MrWolf adds a further challenge.

There was a French rural layout that did this incredibly well by tricking the eye into thinking low relief buildings had sloping roofs when they were actually vertical. Spent more time looking at the buildings than at the trains. Can't remember the name of the layout though. Something like Polpero  (?) No doubt others on here will be able to help.

With my own urban  layout I am tempted by the 'hazy' backscene achieved on Leicester South Https://www.shipleymrs.co.uk/leicestersouth . I don't have sufficient space for perspective modelling/ shrinking scales towards the back.

John

Pempoul?

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

46 minutes ago, Fishplate said:

John

Thank you John, I think that there's a way to go with them yet but I am pleased with how they are working out.

I think that they got the hazy sky bang on for Leicester south. The Soar valley is rather swampy, the county being surrounded by rocky hills to the northwest and northeast.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

On a similar theme someone built a Dutch layout with forced perspective... I meant to pick up the mag but when I went back 24hours later it had gone.... basically it consisted of a railway bridge across a river between high houses but the trick was it looked far deeper than it really was.

It almost looked like something made by a Dutch painter from 1700's

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 minutes ago, KNP said:

Trouble with forced perspective you have view it from almost one position to get the right impact.

Very true. I use it a lot in almost all of my paintings, but I have to admit that I would be nervous about using it effectively in a long narrow model such as mine.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Just a random thought have you considered having a 1950's set of rolling stock and road vehicles (including a red tractor) as a variation on a theme .... I cant see too much changing in LM in the 15 year interval... be interesting to see a set of blood and custard MK1's and a BR black 45xx or 14xx 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

It's something that I have considered for my layout, what went against the idea was the potential cost of replacing all of the stock. That and the fact that the line I have created was freight only by 1951.

PS. That red tractor should be painted blue if we're going for period correct livery! ;)

But never say never!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Glad to see John B taking up my line of thinking in terms of running his layout in multiple eras. 

You do have to be careful of what you are doing though, otherwise you will be accused of playing toy trains if you get one small thing out of era!

Cheers 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

39 minutes ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Glad to see John B taking up my line of thinking in terms of running his layout in multiple eras. 

You do have to be careful of what you are doing though, otherwise you will be accused of playing toy trains if you get one small thing out of era!

Cheers 

You can get accused of that just for having a layout in a fictitious location, or a fictitious layout in a real location, running stock on a 'real' line that wasn't on the roster on June 12th 1986 etc etc.

My usual responses, depending upon my level of irritation are:

1. "Meh...."

2. "Show us all how you did it on your layout then...."

3. "Do you still live with your mother?"

• Like 4
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

Tinners Forge was deliberately left era indication free to allow any stock from early GWR to blue diesel ( my stock coverage), but would work just as well with current day stock too.

Trelothen will be built along the same lines, with details such as shop signs replaceable where necessary. People will be on thin spikes and different dress styles to suit the period, hopefully with a like for like replacement.

• Like 5

A late 1930s to early 1950s time jump wouldn't be too much of a problem I have thought. Particularly if you don't have a lot of figures. The fashions hadn't changed much, not a lot of the railway infrastructure had been done away with, but most things out on the branch lines didn't get a repaint. Cars from the thirties were still very common.

It could almost boil down to BR liveried trains, a BR van in the goods yard and a brand new Vauxhall Wyvern waiting outside the station.

It's where minimalist layouts score flexibility points!

• Like 5
  • Agree 4