Little Muddle

KNP

14 hours ago, KNP said:

Then I thought would the previous picture look better cropped.

3704.jpg.63bf317771f66dbc017e22bf5db7e2a8.jpg

I think so.

Hi Kevin, I've just got back into checking in on RMWeb on a regular basis and I'm really pleased that the great posts are still coming, to provide inspiration and ideas (and motivation when needed!).  

• Thanks 1

I don't know if you did it deliberately, but putting the figure(s) on the footbridge is a really clever trick. It draws the eye away and occupies the subconscious part of my mind that is thinking "I know this is a picture of a model so I must find something that proves it" and redirects it to wistfully imagining what they're looking at (it helps that they seem to be facing away). It's particularly effective at this point on the model where the viewer needs the most 'distraction' because of the scenic break. Clever stuff.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I agree the cropped version is a little too narrow. I have taken a liking to 16:9, perhaps because we've become used to the wider view with laptop and TV screen formats. But any narrower than that and it goes too far beyond the way we see the world, I think.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Gold

Just to be awkward, here are two photos from the KMRC Steam Rail motor thread (which are in fact causing a slight handbags issue over the major bone of contention of the placing of the lamp brackets..., as neither of these photos are actually of a rail motor, I can't see how they are helping):

image.png.4c947831f3887f3a19bafbcdfe4e9045.png

image.png.6e88df860116127be6de702e8f7a18b9.png

As you can see, the 1st has much more foreground and sky, whereas the 2nd is much more cropped.

Which is the preferred view ?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Don't you need to compare a cropped version of the first picture to the original, rather than the first picture to a different subject? I agree that the first picture is better, but that is sharper/ less blurred than the second.

Just to compare apples with apples therefore: 

Cropped

Capture2.JPG.51451ce860b2d46e7d433d558e0b3b7c.JPG

Original

140304183_Capture3.JPG.10dea413953e2ea35c39e61d3626abd3.JPG

1 hour ago, KNP said:

I did crop the last picture but scared to post it........:jester:

But I got over that and here it is -

Any picture of Little Muddle is to be welcomed 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Depends what you want of the picture.

For a view in context and for lineside details, the first. For detai of the locomotive and coach, the second.

As for drama, telling a story, asthetics and other artistic considerations....

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Just to be awkward, here are two photos from the KMRC Steam Rail motor thread (which are in fact causing a slight handbags issue over the major bone of contention of the placing of the lamp brackets..., as neither of these photos are actually of a rail motor, I can't see how they are helping):

image.png.4c947831f3887f3a19bafbcdfe4e9045.png

image.png.6e88df860116127be6de702e8f7a18b9.png

As you can see, the 1st has much more foreground and sky, whereas the 2nd is much more cropped.

Which is the preferred view ?

Both have their virtues but I like the first one as it shows the whole story…

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

I agree with @ian in that the choice for me would depend on the reason for using the photograph, as that is what railway photographs mean to me. If I want to see the whole railway scene to check on a particular aspect for my model then my choice would be the first one. If I was more interested in detail as if for building a model or weathering it, then my choice would not be the first one.

If it's a photograph of Little Muddle then it doesn't matter what shape, colour or content.

• Agree 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Sorry, my prejudice is showing. I promise to keep it hidden in future.

Not a problem but you are correct, you stand this against say my Hornby coaches and what a difference

C1F35062-85FB-4A53-ABC1-526F29B62219.jpeg.82cc45c62f4782dbe11dbb3e086828ea.jpeg

I can near on match the Hornby one but not this one, seems redder?

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

49 minutes ago, KNP said:

can’t quite get the brown on the nose to match the Dapol brown

With a little bit of judicious weathering maybe ?

There's only 311 Followers to convince ! 

N.Otbothered

Edited by bgman
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

7 minutes ago, bgman said:

There's only 311 Followers to convince ! 

N.Otbothered

That’s what’s worrying me!!!!!

• Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KNP said:

Railcar passing along Overbrook Viaduct, can’t quite get the brown on the nose to match the Dapol brown…..work in progress but it has changed the look of the front, more streamlined now….

22 minutes ago, bgman said:

For me, it is weathered. Seriously. The angles on the nose point towards the sun more than the sides, so they could well have suffered more UV fading than the sides. Or maybe the cleaners had to scrub harder to clean off the collection of dead insects accumulated in traffic? Alternatively, maybe those panels were repainted at a different time to the sides for one reason or another. It's close enough to suggest it's the same paint but either applied at a different time or has had a different wear rate. Real life isn't as neat and tidy as a model often is. For me, this difference helps the realism. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

For me, it is weathered. Seriously. The angles on the nose point towards the sun more than the sides, so they could well have suffered more UV fading than the sides. Or maybe the cleaners had to scrub harder to clean off the collection of dead insects accumulated in traffic? Alternatively, maybe those panels were repainted at a different time to the sides for one reason or another. It's close enough to suggest it's the same paint but either applied at a different time or has had a different wear rate. Real life isn't as neat and tidy as a model often is. For me, this difference helps the realism. 

AND, If the nose was painted maybe after an accident, even the Works couldn't match it up.:banghead:

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

It's not as though it will ever be within a train of coaches where it will stand out. I also have one of the venerable old Lima railcars as well as the Dapol, that's a different shade again.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1