Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold

I’m looking forward to seeing a GPV that isn’t black and shiny with vivid red lettering , and I think perhaps this is where it will be found ! Weather we like it or not!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, KNP said:

I'll try my best but at the particular time it's not very shiny, also minus transfers.

This is the current state of play just a few minutes ago.

3746.jpg.44ae546138650c77d4f2ecdeeedf6281.jpg

Roof - Light Grey, then two washes of Roof Dirt and I have now just done numerous dry brushed coats of Light Grey - leave this to dry now to see the overall effect tomorrow.

Van sides - Black grey with the central part of the panels dry brushed with a Black Grey lightened with Light Grey to give tonal variation. Rivets highlighted with Light Mud and then a wash of Roof Dirt to them and the edges.

Chassis - Black Grey with dry brushed Light Mud and then Frame Dirt.

More to do as I can see I have caught a few places with the ferrell of the brush.

Purpose of the pictures is to highlight issues.

Will then give the whole lot a coat of Dullcote when happy then fit those transfers and then tone down so they are not bright and glossy.

Don't forget to do the buffer shanks grey.. :)

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Now at the risk of sounding rude, petty, etc . . . can I just raise an issue about the telegraph poles.

In the second photo - how does the wire negotiate the curve with the trees there?  Does one of the trees look taller from above than it really is or is there another pole hidden from view?

The only reason I ask is that my youngest brother pointed out something similar on my layout.  Don't worry I thought he was a smart a**e too!  But ultimately I had to concede and relocate the trees.

Edited by Bogie
Typo (wine induced)
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Bogie said:

In the second photo - how does the wire negotiate the curve with the trees there?  Does one of the trees look taller from above than it really is or is there another pole hidden from view?

I think the tree wasn’t as tall when the erected the pole route.  Now the wires go through it and the Telegraph Lineman is fed up with having to come out to cut branches when the block fails!

Paul.

• Like 9
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Bogie said:

Now at the risk of sounding rude, petty, etc . . . can I just raise an issue about the telegraph poles.

The only reason I ask is that my youngest brother pointed out something similar on my layout.  Don't worry I thought he was a smart a**e too!  But ultimately I had to concede and relocate the trees.

Just needs a pole on the outside of the bend...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

If I had known that it was that simple I would have told my brother to f*** off!

• Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

50 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Cue discussion on chemical reactions between exhaust smoke/ steam and resultant copper wire degradation . . . . (which might be a get out @Bogie:rolleyes:a

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Fishplate said:

Cue discussion on chemical reactions between exhaust smoke/ steam and resultant copper wire degradation . . . . (which might be a get out @Bogie:rolleyes:a

Given how many wires were strung alongside main lines, I wouldn't have thought there would be much damage, especially on such a quiet line as the branch to LM.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4

28 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I thought they used satellite phones on LM do you mean they still use copper wire. How dissappointing.

I can just picture thousands of biplanes orbiting at 600 feet towing aerials.

The satellite hub would consist of one bloke, a typewriter and an ashtray...

• Funny 14