Little Muddle

KNP

3 hours ago, KNP said:

Lets have another train, a freight train hauled by a venerable Prairie 5531 trying to hide behind a signal!

3745.jpg.0d2b78b51a89b9a4aedcf5a8c12eca1a.jpg

Look stop trying to hijack this thread by posting pictures of chuff chuffs.

We had a nice little theme going there about telecommunications through the ages and you come along and post silly things about superb modelling and excellent scene setting.

Anybody would think you were someone of importance. Just know your place.

I N M stuff

Deputy Senior Vice Head

Knowing Ones  Place Or KOP (LM branch)

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

There is even an Internet standard for them...

RFC 1149

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc1149

Al.

That looks a serious analysis of carrier pigeons, but reading through it I think it is written tongue in beak.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Limpley Stoker said:

That looks a serious analysis of carrier pigeons, but reading through it I think it is written tongue in beak.

Yes, the release date is 1st April...

:D

Al.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

It looks great Kevin, I was wondering how you might deal with the red cross on the doors, particularly around the locking mechanism. 

So I might just have to dig out the unmade ones I have. 

It seems that the GWR iron van saga is far from over, they're appearing all over the place. 

It also reminds me to go in the spare room and get my V6's finished!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, KNP said:

One side of GPV has now got transfers.

Bit of a mixture of kit and Fox used as I wanted to do 1938 era, one big issue was the red cross was not big enough!!!! So I had to extend it using another one from the other kit to provide longer legs and then I have sent for another set to finish.

46F33454-D381-4018-A35F-385632FE66CD.jpeg.d0d6b1d121d0ae4599b7c4e7a90fde3e.jpeg

I might buy a third one as I have a spare number and they only travelled before the Second World War in small numbers, max 5, plus they don’t arf look different.

I will start the second van next doing both sides so I use this one as a guide then do the other side using the other van as guide again…..clever stuff eh!

Finally managed to get through all 446 pages (to date)! I am not sure whether to be inspired or to despair that I could never emulate the skill and artistry displayed here. Serious question - is it possible to learn how to do all these things or do you have to have an inate talent to excel at this level? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 04/08/2021 at 10:44, Bogie said:

Now at the risk of sounding rude, petty, etc . . . can I just raise an issue about the telegraph poles.

In the second photo - how does the wire negotiate the curve with the trees there?  Does one of the trees look taller from above than it really is or is there another pole hidden from view?

The only reason I ask is that my youngest brother pointed out something similar on my layout.  Don't worry I thought he was a smart a**e too!  But ultimately I had to concede and relocate the trees.

Don't you worry about the trees the gang will be along soon ( Little Muddle soon?)   to trim away the folliage.

Don

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Serious question - is it possible to learn how to do all these things or do you have to have an inate talent to excel at this level?

Keep it under your hat but Kevin has beaten the Americans, Russians and Chinese to perfecting AI.

Edited by Bogie
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
On 04/08/2021 at 18:19, The Stationmaster said:

Railway telegraph poles should usually be erected on the inc side of a curve and not the outside.  the reason for this is that if a pole v breaks it is most like to fall towards the inside of the curve (rather than the outside) and the wires will help ensure that.  So poles on the outside of a curve were regarded as presenting a greater hazard and were accordingly avoided whenever possible (plus the length of wire run increased on the outside of a curve).

Probbly true on railways Mike but on GPO runs putting poles on the inside of the curve meant you need a pole brace to conteract the pull of the wires whereas on the outside of the curve it was just a stay wire down into the field. The EL boys sometime go for a stay wire across the road to an extra pole with a stay wire into the field.

Don

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

26 minutes ago, Bogie said:

Serious question - is it possible to learn how to do all these things or do you have to have an inate talent to excel at this level?

Keep it under your hat but Kevin has beaten the Americans, Russians and Chinese to perfecting AI.

Interesting point has anybody actually seen Kevin? Maybe our Kevin has been replaced with a sophiscated computer program.

It would explain a lot. The extremely high standard of modelling could just be electronically generated images done so as to make us believe he is a biological entity.

. Just think he could be plotting to take over RMweb and then the interwebby thingymabobs. Soon everyone who didn't do modelling might be sent to reeducation camps where they would be forced to learn about outside valves and what colour buffers are when wet.

I need to go and lie down in a darkened room. Could someone tell Matron please.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

7 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

Interesting point has anybody actually seen Kevin? Maybe our Kevin has been replaced with a sophiscated computer program.

It would explain a lot. The extremely high standard of modelling could just be electronically generated images done so as to make us believe he is a biological entity.

. Just think he could be plotting to take over RMweb and then the interwebby thingymabobs. Soon everyone who didn't do modelling might be sent to reeducation camps where they would be forced to learn about outside valves and what colour buffers are when wet.

I need to go and lie down in a darkened room. Could someone tell Matron please.

Interesting..

But do you know who Matron is.......?

hahaha...

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

10 hours ago, Nevermakeit said:

Finally managed to get through all 446 pages (to date)! I am not sure whether to be inspired or to despair that I could never emulate the skill and artistry displayed here. Serious question - is it possible to learn how to do all these things or do you have to have an inate talent to excel at this level? 

Thanks, hope you enjoyed the read......I sometimes think I need to re-read it to see what I said and did in the past so I don't repeat!

Regarding skills I would say it's a bit of both plus having the ability to visualise the end result before you start and for me not accepting second best - if not happy with the first attempt then it do it again.

Thinking outside the box helps as well, don't get stuck with convention.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, KNP said:

Interesting..

But do you know who Matron is.......?

hahaha...

Who am I?

Who are you?

Do I exist or is this just a fantasy world constructed by some feverish mind in order to bring order to hypothetical existence that is in fact just a figment of someone else's imagination.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, KNP said:

if not happy with the first attempt then it do it again.

This has always been my mantra too.

This and take a pause before saying done. I always find that when you revisit a piece of work after leaving it for a while, you can be way more objective, honest and more inclined to change it or scrap it. As you now have less emotional feelings towards it. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2