Little Muddle

KNP

57 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Cleverly posed to obscure the lack of internal motion of the Collett- but as you say the model was ahead of its time in 1982!

He has his uses….

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

2 hours ago, KNP said:

He has his uses….

If you don't mind I prefer to be addressed as Mr Jones, Major (Rtd). There's a bit to much familiarity these days, espically with the younger generation. Not even the Memsahib calls me Jimmy its either James darling or Mr Cuddles.

Edited by Winslow Boy
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

If you don't mind I prefer to be addressed as Mr Jones

...and please, please don't confuse me with that crass comedian fellow. Because, well that's just not... er... funny.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, KNP said:

Looking from the platform footbridge...

Stunning view, interesting composition, that would work well as a book cover. The wrap around of the hardback edition.

• Like 5
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 18/08/2021 at 11:43, Bogie said:

Well, la-di-da!

Gunner Graham. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold
On 20/08/2021 at 08:21, Ponthir28 said:

Seems to me quite a well dressed trainspotter.

Standards, Ponty Bach, standards. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

Funny you should mention a book as my daughter has been badgering me for ages to do one, mainly for the family, and she keeps mentioning it every time she looks at  the layout.

I now have nearly 4000 pictures I have taken over the last few years since I got the TZ100, most have been posted on here by the way….frightening in a way, so I expect choosing some would be a problem as most I like….

Never thought of it when I took that last picture the other day but Gedward is right it suits a cover.

You never know but for now back to my PO grain wagons and transfers….

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

If your daughter is anything like mine, she knows best. I always use her as a sounding board, as she doesn't pull her punches. And quite often sees things from a different point of view.

With so many producing self publish books, it's a lot easier nowadays. My advice would be to get someone else to pick the images for the book, like your daughter for instance. As we're too close to be objective.

Edited by Gedward
Editing copy and typos
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

29 minutes ago, Graham T said:

You could ask people in here to nominate some favourite photos, or maybe run a few (several!) polls?

Oh, no! It would end in tears (or Blows) . the arguments would last for years ! Far better the suggestion of a LM fan club outsider

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

Making books for the family is quite easy these days with the various online tools available, and while the results maybe aren't quite Taschen standards, they're pretty good. While living abroad we have made calendars and books each year of our children for my parents and in-laws, which always go down very well and take little more effort than a couple of evenings sorting photos and uploading. It helps all our photos are uploaded to Dropbox in a single folder for that year, so sorting is straightforward.

I imagine making a book for publication is a different matter, especially a hard back glossy one. Though I understand Amazon has a self-publication option these days - the explosion in recent years of children's books I had never heard of is often down to talented authors and illustrators pushing something out on Amazon and it becoming curiously popular. My children were obsessed for a time with a series called Little Blue Digger which, it turned out, was an Amazon self-publication. I assume Amazon take a healthy cut.

Edited by ed1234
early morning writing makes no sense...
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, ed1234 said:

Making books for the family is quite easy these days with the various online tools available, and while the results maybe aren't quite Taschen standards, they're pretty good. While living abroad we have made calendars and books each year of our children for my parents and in-laws, which always go down very well and take little more effort than a couple of evenings sorting photos and uploading. It helps all our photos are uploaded to Dropbox in a single folder for that year, so sorting is straightforward.

I imagine making a book for publication is a different matter, especially a hard back glossy one. Though I understand Amazon has a self-publication option these days - the explosion in recent years of children's books I had never heard of is often down to talented authors and illustrators pushing something out on Amazon and it becoming curiously popular. My children were obsessed for a time with a series called Little Blue Digger which, it turned out, was an Amazon self-publication. I assume Amazon take a healthy cut.

The Martian by Andy Weir was originally self published.

• Informative/Useful 3