Little Muddle

KNP

1 hour ago, KNP said:

Now the sight of that loco reminds me of an old piece of folklore passed down through the families of this area.

Some while ago the local farmer was standing in this very potato field with a representative from the Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries to discuss a new type of crop that he was growing and what name to call it.

As they where standing there an express train rushed past and the local farm hand stood up and said, with head nod in the trains direction, King Edward and carried on working.

The Ministry man and the farmer looked at one another and said that's a good name!!!

So that, I am reliably informed, is how the King Edward potato got it's name.... 

Of course I might be wrong and it's just an old wives tale but....

3776.jpg.603cfa534ab7769c04e60ac6a414250f.jpg

Never mind how they got there name. Where's me spuds! We're down to the bottom of the bag now. They make the best chips and its Friday so its chips day. If I say pretty please would that help?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

20 hours ago, KNP said:

With a rumble and a roar leaving the ground shaking as it approached a King charges towards Encombe Town station with a non stopper destined for Bristol.

A non-stopper for Little Muddle? That's a turn-up. Most things here don't start.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, KNP said:

Now something more senate, that got there under its own steam??

3775.jpg.6ceaea2ef1c76e0f396fb31f136b43a9.jpg

Can’t beat an AEC railcar…… it must have been quite something to stand on the AEC footbridge at Southall when these were going out for test runs in the 1930’s.

The AEC factory was behind the GWR depot and there was a footpath that ran down the back of the shed, with an underpass under the main lines. Where it crossed the factory spur, there was a footbridge where you could look down into the factory.

Initially, the Brentford branch was used for testing the Railcars of course - the factory spur came off that.

The footpath and bridge was still there in the late 70’s. I suspect the footbridge and spur have since gone. The AEC factory was closed in 1979. In those days there was an old Sentinel(?) diesel shunter stored there, which on closure went to the GWRP who were setting up in the adjacent margarine factory. I wonder where it went when the GWRP was disbanded.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I like these railcar’s as they are so easy to set up, out the storage box, plonk on the track, bit of time getting the wheels in line and then hey presto train ready to run in any direction!

It is also a beautiful runner as well, most used item on the layout when things are running….and yes they do…. every now and then…..like last night when I set it up in the harbour siding and moved it around for the picture!!!

• Like 11

47 minutes ago, KNP said:

Just received a picture from the local train spotters of the King passing through

Standing on his Dad's steps this picture caught the power and majesty of this loco, it also highlighted that I need to sort those lamps.....!

3778.jpg.65c12b7bdb41eda95937fc04b2b9cdae.jpg

I can't see this loco being used for anything other than an express so I think I will fix the lamps permenently once I've sorted the wonky handle....!

I had to do a DOUBLE, and the a TRIPLE take on that shot Kevin. SUPERB

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Ponthir28 said:

I can count 14 men trying to unload that crate. Today it would be one man and a hiab.

The crate possibly but the actual computer, just one of us thingymebobs to do that. Although you'd need to book well in advance and be able to put up the odours us IT tech's emanate.

• Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Maybe the guys that are tasked with unloading the crate could pick up a hint or two from this picture.

Maybe what’s needed is a white coat ………….

O’er that’s opening up a can of worms there if Nurse Ratched is around. 

• Funny 7

1 hour ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

And just to think in 60 years time one of those will fit in your hand ....... 

Geez building and running a model railway back then was a mammoth undertaking. :jester:

That's one for us "O Gauge" boys that is ! 

• Funny 6