Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Thanks Ian. I think you're right - unless the porter had inherited a watch he probably wouldn't have had one.

Peter Rayner - used to enjoy "meetings" with him in the Battle of Trafalgar at Brighton.

First of February? After a dry January?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I didn't think that "dry" was in Peter's vocabulary...

No way was oin his vocabulary - he wasn't a Western man as those on the railway would know but he was very definitely into hydraulic behaviour ;)

The only grade issued with individual watches were Guards - because they were in charge of the train so therefore it was up to them that it didn't depart early (or late in ideal circumstances).  All watches on the WR were supposed to be returned to Reading Clock (work)shop at regular intervals fir servicing and cleaning or repair if that was needed.  We had a request to send in teh watch of one of my Guards at Radyr because Reading had no record of dealing with it for about 6 years.  so I called him in and asked for his watch and he refused point blank saying a local watchmaker looked after it for him at his own expense and no way was his TVR watch going to Reading because he would never see it again (which was probably right) so he kept it.  Another one with a GWR watch - they were still quite common in 1973 - already had an application in to buy it when he retired because he'd had the watch since he passed as a Guard (and had always got it back previously when it went to Reading).

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, KNP said:

Part of me wonders that what would it have looked like if I had kept the Mainline outer frame and used the Wizard inner frame with the brakes/scope from the outer frame kit?

Cr@p ! 

Looks far better and time well spent.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, KNP said:

Hey, there....

Like me new wheels?

3838.jpg.d6abd7022d8181e9fbcc23e3fb6ec049.jpg

Her in grey hat: "Bert, what do you mean, do I loik your new wheels? they're the same wheels you've always had on your boik"

Bert: "They're new Oi tell yer! bran nue!! Oi had them made to match the old 'uns

Her in blue hat: "Oye Mavis, now you've done it!!!! Next Bert will be carrying on about how it's important in these small villages where the old traditional ways are being swamped by the onrush of the railways that we preserve our ancient traditions"

Bert: "Yeah, there's that as well loik"

Her in Grey Hat: "Bleeding local preservationists, next 'e'll be complaining about the Sqoire 'aving the wheels on his bleeding injin repainted"

Bert: " 'E has? Why Oi am always the last to know when things is 'appenin' loik, what's 'e got it in for me for?"

Her in Blue Hat: "Bert it's because yer 'aven't turned around in the last two years

Bert: "And Oim not goin to oither, minute Oi do you'll be off with moi best cod, Oi know all about you village wimmin!!!"   

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 11/10/2021 at 06:30, KNP said:

Hey, there....

Like me new wheels?

3838.jpg.d6abd7022d8181e9fbcc23e3fb6ec049.jpg

May I just say the quality of your painted and beautifully grouped figures is an inspiration! So lifelike.  I don't know what the secret is yet but I will persevere till I have it!

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 11/10/2021 at 19:32, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Her in grey hat: "Bert, what do you mean, do I loik your new wheels? they're the same wheels you've always had on your boik"

Bert: "They're new Oi tell yer! bran nue!! Oi had them made to match the old 'uns

Her in blue hat: "Oye Mavis, now you've done it!!!! Next Bert will be carrying on about how it's important in these small villages where the old traditional ways are being swamped by the onrush of the railways that we preserve our ancient traditions"

Bert: "Yeah, there's that as well loik"

Her in Grey Hat: "Bleeding local preservationists, next 'e'll be complaining about the Sqoire 'aving the wheels on his bleeding injin repainted"

Bert: " 'E has? Why Oi am always the last to know when things is 'appenin' loik, what's 'e got it in for me for?"

Her in Blue Hat: "Bert it's because yer 'aven't turned around in the last two years

Bert: "And Oim not goin to oither, minute Oi do you'll be off with moi best cod, Oi know all about you village wimmin!!!"   

Funny, Her in Blue Hat has an Australian accent.

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, KNP said:

Up in the air the Squadron Leader flies over the 'other Dean' and captures them the moment they head off across country.

3839.jpg.e9f6741ba61936ab1909ea1a5fb53b24.jpg

Lovely shot as ever Kevin.

The detail in that garden is great and I love the fella at the garden table…. And then the three fellas on the other side of the house sitting down…. Then there is the path and gate leading over the railway…. So much detail in every photo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Colour every time for me. While the vast majority of pics from times past were in b&w, that is simply due to the limitations of the process since Victorian times. If Julia Margaret Cameron, Roger Fenton et al had had access to colour, they'd have used it, and our knowledge of things back then would have been enhanced.  

• Like 7
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

21 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Colour every time for me. While the vast majority of pics from times past were in b&w, that is simply due to the limitations of the process since Victorian times. If Julia Margaret Cameron, Roger Fenton et al had had access to colour, they'd have used it, and our knowledge of things back then would have been enhanced.  

It would certainly have been helpful in the debate going on in a different thread about the colour of the liveries of the recently released Clans

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, LimboBrit said:

It would certainly have been helpful in the debate going on in a different thread about the colour of the liveries of the recently released Clans

And many other earnest debates here and elsewhere about liveries would be much shorter!

• Agree 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

And many other earnest debates here and elsewhere about liveries would be much shorter!

Although you would probably have earnest debates just as lengthy about the veracity of the colour reproduction of this or that particular camera! :)

• Agree 9
  • Funny 1