Little Muddle

KNP

58 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Silly question why were they called Bettles.... not built by Volks Works were they  ...

GWR telegraphic code for them….

Edited by KNP
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Silus said:

Or maybe someone had a quiet word with the Corporal in the Squadron Leader's Photographic Reconnaissance Unit?

Jon T

I believe that a mug of tea and a pack of Lucky Strikes provided by the USAAF is the going rate for film processing.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

@KNP Have you thought about trying to get motion blur in your express photos?

With the camera and everything else stationary take two or more (stacked) shots, moving the train forwards in between. Then (after stacking) mix them together in Affinity. That should give an approximate effect of motion blur, more convincing the more shots you mix.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

22 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

@KNP Have you thought about trying to get motion blur in your express photos?

With the camera and everything else stationary take two or more (stacked) shots, moving the train forwards in between. Then (after stacking) mix them together in Affinity. That should give an approximate effect of motion blur, more convincing the more shots you mix.

I will give it a try….

• Like 3

Will the motion blur be capable of giving the impression that the guy on the lorry reading his newspaper is turning the page? Or that there is some activity around the shed door? These and other questions ...... Can we assume that the workshop manual for apprentice Thatchers is at the Printers?

Edited by DonB
Text added
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/11/2021 at 22:20, MrWolf said:

Work began on Britain's Chain Home radar system in 1936 and was operational by early 1938.

That's something else that never comes up in a pub quiz!

I could have phoned a friend/relative if it did. Here's Uncle Peter with other radar technicians in WW2. I think they may have had suspicions that the photo should not have been taken for security reasons.

Peter & colleagues with Mosquito c1944.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 10

Interesting photo there, I suspect that the date has something to do with the lack of secrecy, but it would still have been subject to censorship.

My grandfather had a lucky escape from service because he was working on radar development from the mid 30s and throughout the war. His younger brother wasn't so lucky and spent several years as a Japanese prisoner of war.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I remember always being given a slip that said next Thursday.

So I went back to get my snaps and the chemist told me. "Come back on Thursday."

"But it is Thursday". I said.

To which he replied. "Yes, but not this Thursday, next Thursday.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Gedward said:

I remember always being given a slip that said next Thursday.

So I went back to get my snaps and the chemist told me. "Come back on Thursday."

"But it is Thursday". I said.

To which he replied. "Yes, but not this Thursday, next Thursday.

That, I suspect, is a northern thing.

In Gloucestershire, where I grew up, this Thursday and next Thursday were interchangeable.

In Staffordshire, where I live now, next Thursday is the one that comes after this Thursday.

I found it confusing at first, but am used to it now.

See you next Tuesday.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Welchester said:

That, I suspect, is a northern thing.

In Gloucestershire, where I grew up, this Thursday and next Thursday were interchangeable.

In Staffordshire, where I live now, next Thursday is the one that comes after this Thursday.

I found it confusing at first, but am used to it now.

See you next Tuesday.

I think the only thing we can really be certain of is, next train's gone.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

I see that the artwork shown by Kevin on this thread earlier this afternoon includes reproductions of a selection of enamel adverts.  These were a colourful and attractive feature of the period railway scene (and were also seen elsewhere).  However, there was a discussion on the S4 webforum in April of this year (on page 17 of the thread dealing with my own layout) here - https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1846&start=400#p83980  about the rapid disappearance of enamel adverts from GWR stations in the mid-1930s.  It seems that this resulted from the termination of the contract between the GWR and Wyman’s who had been responsible for booking and displaying these adverts on GWR stations.  It seems that this type of advertising was considered obsolete, and (with one notable exception, mentioned below) reliance was thereafter placed solely on paper posters.

So, for a layout based in the late 1930s (i.e. post-1935), maybe no enamel ads should be displayed (except the famous VIROL ads, which lasted into the 1950s, and seem to have disappeared in 1958).

It is possible that some enamel ads may have continued to be seen on private commercial premises through simple inertia, but they seem to have been systematically removed from railway premises by 1935, being replaced by printed paper posters (which had begun to appear earlier in the 20th century).

This no doubt accounts for the omission from the 1936 General Appendix to the GWR Rule Book of instructions for the display of enamel ads that had appeared in earlier editions of the Appendix, whereas detailed and prescriptive instructions for the display of enamel adverts had been included in the 1920 General Appendix.

• Informative/Useful 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

Interesting. I have noticed that pre and post WWII photographs of stations showing a distinct change in the display of enamel signs. Pre WWI, they seemed to be everywhere. The problem with them was largely that it was difficult to convey new or temporary information using them and as they were so long lasting were expensive to replace.

Add to that the countryside act of 1928 which restricted their use, particularly at higher levels on buildings. 

The only business that really stuck to them postwar was the motor trade, for which enamel signs were produced well into the 1960s, when cheaper printed aluminium took over.

Wartime scrap drives also removed a lot of iron enamel signs from sites not specifically connected with the product being advertised also.

That said, I do like to see them on a layout and even now there's still a lot fixed in their original locations, despite the original owners having long disappeared or the business that had installed them doing likewise.

There's also Rule#1....

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I can quite clearly remember in the 1940s, our local junction station, a joint GWR/LMS place, had enamel signs, a fairly selective range, Camp Coffee, Virol, Stephens Ink, come to mind, also Aston’s furnishers, bright yellow, which could appear on the risers of the footbridge stairs as well as conventional signs.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2