Little Muddle

KNP

40 minutes ago, spikey said:

Well, I've tried my best searching this thread for the answer but no joy so ... Kevin, which scatters do you use?  I'm not having a huge amount of luck finding ones with subtle colours, particularly for giving the impression of weed growth starting through ballast.  Static grass fibres for more noticeable growth isn't a problem thanks to various wargaming sites, but the scatters I've tried so far for weedy ballast have all been far too vivid.

Most of the scatters used on Little Muddle are from the Woodland Scenics range but, and here is the but, rarely on their own.

The grass around the Middle Farm building for example - this the only area on the layout where scatter has been used on its own,  is at least three layers thick (can't remember which one's I used as it was a while ago I did this area) with the last layer treated with a wash of Vallejo green to tone down.

This tone was varied to give an even feel to appearance especially by the hedge, tree and path edge.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KNP said:

Most of the scatters used on Little Muddle are from the Woodland Scenics range ...

Cheers Kevin.  Mrs Spikey has now been informed that as of today I've finally given up wasting money with smaller suppliers of ballast, scatter and suchlike, apart from the aforementioned wargames suppliers for static grass :)

1 hour ago, Bogie said:

As a testament to your modelling skill the first thing my eye picked up looking at the middle photo above was not the number of locos but:

Years of staff walking across to the engine shed has caused that.....!

Thanks

Edited by KNP
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Whenever motivation starts to fade and I think about giving up all I have to do is look to this thread to recharge my modelling mojo

Same here and I often browse through the earlier postings, without the thread sage brush trees would not be on my layout and the whole thread has given me numerous ideas and the desire to have a go!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

After posting the earlier pictures of the motive fleet for Little Muddle it dawned on me I had some other ones....

So I arranged these ones at Encombe Town station

1964.jpg.1a0b4ba2e2703d5c83ed72952311a0c0.jpg

From L to R and starting at the back.

Hornby No 29 Railcar - brought this on a whim and it appears in some of my very early pictures until it was pointed out to me it was the wrong era! That'll teach just to go by just the shirt button logo...

Lima No 34 Parcel railcar - brought secondhand to go with No29 until I realised the issue!!!

Dapol large Prairie 6101 - secondhand ran OK but never converted to DCC

Airfix 14xx - This little loco is the one responsible for getting me into the GWR, model date 1975, brought secondhand with a new (then) Airfix Autocoach in the early 90's. It never ever ran properly so got packed away - until now  

(Autocoach is the one that still appears regularly on this layout due to the major upgrade it went through) 

GMR 14xx - Never run, forgot I had it until I was setting this up....!!

I suspect these will go back in their boxes and rest peacefully in the cupboard...

Edited by KNP
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

You could cosmetically improve the 0-4-2s for photographic work; bin the motors, add cab detail, repaint, replace handrails and buffers.  They are not bad little models, but 'of their time' (in fact they were ground breaking when they first appeared); nowadays the motor intruding into the cab would be unacceptable but it was done to preserve daylight beneath the visible portion of the boiler, and the sprung plunger/roller bearing pickup system, which worked well when the models were new, proved unreliable over time.  

We are still waiting for an effective reliable RTR 14xx.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

We are still waiting for an effective reliable RTR 14xx.

I disagree - the DJM 14xx is a very good model.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

I have to say that my DJM 14xx is a good, steady runner and apart from the ash pan is a superb little model. I understand there has been issues with the running but I do seem to have ended up with a good’n...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I've found the DJ 14xx a disappointing runner and difficult to clean. Also without any form of compensation or play in the axle bearings it will rock backwards and forwards and stall on even slightly uneven track.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Does this loco have traction tyres on the rear drivers?  If so, getting rid of them should cure the rocking, otherwise try to file a little top play in the bearing for that axle so that the wheelset can ride up a little.  But wait until the loco's out of warranty...

• Informative/Useful 1

Whilst Ken was standing on the roof of the engine shed he caught the Dean getting ready for the day...

1971.jpg.af337dc29cb1a18f1e27c64396441566.jpg

PS - I didn't have the nerve to ask why was he standing on the roof in the first place!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1