Little Muddle

KNP

15 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I like that one there the best. No, not that one, the one next to it. Yes, that's the one. It's rather good, isn't it? Better than all the others, in my opinion.

Excellent, just what I thought....

Nice and precise...to the point.

No beating about the bush

Direct, clear and concise.

Nothing left to the imagination

No waffling

I firmly believe that if I had had the opportunity to comment I couldn't have put it better myself!

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

The instruction manual for loading mules states that two panniers should be used, one either side.

So Kevin's got it all wrong then as he has one in front and one behind!

• Informative/Useful 1

Had a day of fitting lamp iron brackets especially the spare ones.

So here are the 'Siamese' Panniers proudly showing of their 3 lamp iron brackets.

2196.jpg.8279ef17fed602b5db2cbd59901eb1a8.jpg

What this pictures does show is that 8701 appears nose heavy

By carefully lifting the front so the buffers are level the front two wheels drop down

Need to work out how to do this as the pick up system on this loco is very crude - axle rubbing on the chassis halves.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Check that she really is nose heavy first, and it's not that the siding rises a little to the rear of the loco.  Place both locos on a sheet of glass and check that a) the wheels all sit on the glass and b) the buffers line up.  While you're at it, check that her rear chassis fixing screw is tightened home.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

That's really beautiful - the light is amazing.

It would be great if your could get the lamps to sit down on their brackets properly - I have the same problem and I haven't done anything about it yet...

And sorry to be an armchair critic but your spare lamp brackets should be turned 90 degrees, I think:

gwrw391.jpg

I guess that was a failsafe measure so that extra lights couldn't accidentally show forwards. Imagine seeing a "tail light" heading towards you at 30mph in the dark!

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

That's really beautiful - the light is amazing.

It would be great if your could get the lamps to sit down on their brackets properly - I have the same problem and I haven't done anything about it yet...

And sorry to be an armchair critic but your spare lamp brackets should be turned 90 degrees, I think:

gwrw391.jpg

I guess that was a failsafe measure so that extra lights couldn't accidentally show forwards. Imagine seeing a "tail light" heading towards you at 30mph in the dark!

Thanks

Its them Led lights again.....!

That is how the slot is formed on the tail lamps, so I decided to put them facing backwards for the very reason you mentioned.

Looking at the above picture it appears the brackets might be a bit long on my model, they are the ones from Wizard Models (Mainly Trains), hence why all the lamps sit to high on every loco.

Looks like my next job is to find some reference to their height, does anyone have any engineering drawings for them?

• Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, KNP said:

Not the view a photographer would be pleased to see in the view finder....

2202.jpg.9ff4bfbec37eee065ab271869d91ac62.jpg

Unless of course the Loco has broken down, I can't see any heat haze from the spout on the Kettle.:D

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, KNP said:

Thanks

Its them Led lights again.....!

That is how the slot is formed on the tail lamps, so I decided to put them facing backwards for the very reason you mentioned.

Looking at the above picture it appears the brackets might be a bit long on my model, they are the ones from Wizard Models (Mainly Trains), hence why all the lamps sit to high on every loco.

Looks like my next job is to find some reference to their height, does anyone have any engineering drawings for them?

Ah, there we have it! Tail lamps as such weren't used on locos. If a red light was needed, a red glass slide was slipped into a loco lamp (hence my comment on the auto train in an earlier post). Normally only two lamps would be carried on a loco and if only one was needed for the headcode the other would sit facing sideways on one of the spare brackets, as Phil has noted.

Actual tail lamps are for coaches and brake vans (where you might also need side lamps too).

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Ah, there we have it! Tail lamps as such weren't used on locos. If a red light was needed, a red glass slide was slipped into a loco lamp (hence my comment on the auto train in an earlier post). Normally only two lamps would be carried on a loco and if only one was needed for the headcode the other would sit facing sideways on one of the spare brackets, as Phil has noted.

Actual tail lamps are for coaches and brake vans (where you might also need side lamps too).

Ah yes! Bullseye! The brackets are OK. You can see that in Kevin’s previous photo of the Mogul, actually. (D’Oh!)

I hadn’t spotted the different kind of lamp.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

I thought the lamps, when stowed as spares had the lens facing outwards to the side of the train?

Not always, I have pictures of them facing inwards.

• Like 1