Little Muddle

KNP

47 minutes ago, Benbow said:

I know GWR stands for Great Way Round but it will be Greatly Wrecked Rolling stock when he falls off the cliff edge!!! :)

Perhaps I should have someone standing there with a plaque that says....'The end of the world is nigh'

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

On 31/03/2017 at 11:47, KNP said:

With all that's going on I see one of the locals is getting away to relax......Not sure if he's playing golf or flying pigeons or selling watches.

Anyway sir - have a nice time and no doubt it will all be sorted when you get back!

post-8925-0-14893500-1490957071_thumb.jpg

its not the ABC murderer is it !!!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

26 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

It will certainly be cross chained, to stop it going sideways, but as to the anchor points, I would be unsure, possibly the axles.

You are correct, the axles would be used as anchor points to prevent damage to the body and machinery.

Roja

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Siberian Snooper said:

It will certainly be cross chained, to stop it going sideways, but as to the anchor points, I would be unsure, possibly the axles.

It took a couple of seconds for it to sink in but at first I thought you were talking about the railway wagon's axles. Doh!

• Funny 1

1 hour ago, Limpley Stoker said:

I think that will take longer to unload than the famous crate, but it looks really good. Was the chimney resection an easy operation?

It was.

l just had to make sure l didn’t touch the sides or the buzzer would sound...!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, 37Oban said:

You are correct, the axles would be used as anchor points to prevent damage to the body and machinery.

Roj

The Severn Tunnel car ferry strapped, rather than chained, vehicles by the axles, and used wooden wheel chocks.  They were left with the handbrakes on and in gear; you could pay extra to hire a tarpaulin to cover them as it's mucky in the tunnel.  Rags were inserted between the straps and the axle.

• Informative/Useful 2

Fowler ploughing engine on a GWR bogie well wagon..

2225.jpg.96b607e03b4846a96425b73f4e808af5.jpg

2226.jpg.3fb318e19975bcfcc4631f5014ba881a.jpg

A few more bits to add, shackles for the timber bulks chocking wheels.

Still wondering if more chains need to be added between the wheels

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

29 minutes ago, KNP said:

Dean Goods 2534 moving into Little Muddle station returning a repaired Fowler ploughing engine to its owner.

Plan is to stop at the platform, run around and then push wagon into main siding for offloading.

2227.jpg.044c1c46042626e34c553867d23dadb1.jpg

Hopefully I've got the lamps right for a direct freight train......we will see!

I hope your not expecting the same gang that were supposed to unload the Crate from the Lorry to unload this lovely lump.:D

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

Then he needs his mate* and there's the plough that's coming soon, and the van... You're gonna need to extend the yard to get it all in!

*Not just another but an opposite handed one.

Don't worry, the second engine and plough are in kit form.  They have been packed into crates and are on their way.

• Funny 4

The traction engine is an excellent model ,my neighbour owns one and is going to be in Aylesbury High St on Sept 14th and 15th in steam.He was telling me how much it is costing him to run the engine this year,its frightening and if it needs a repair its an arm and a leg.The layout is looking very good I like the cameos they add that extra something.    Quainton is having a big weekend end of the month dose not seem fifty years that the scrap yard as it was called sometimes started also a possible steam trip in January behind Flying Scotsman.Keep up the good work Kevin.  Chris

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Kevin,

Tony Atkins' "GWR Goods Train Working Vol 2" has a chapter on Exceptional Loads and on page 280 there's an anti-aircraft gun lorry chained to a Loriot D. In fact there are two photos, one showing how not to do it and what happened when the gun turret hit a bridge after breaking loose and a subsequent photo showing how it should have been secured!

The lorry has spoked wheels and chains through the spokes like your photos above but in a slightly different arrangement:

1572163600_LoriotVehicleChains.png.3c018e7fb58ffa40902daac3783fb4c6.png

Edit: That's probably the first time the chain link brush stroke in my drawing program has ever been used for a serious purpose!

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Hi Kevin,

Tony Atkins' "GWR Goods Train Working Vol 2" has a chapter on Exceptional Loads and on page 280 there's an anti-aircraft gun lorry chained to a Loriot D. In fact there are two photos, one showing how not to do it and what happened when the gun turret broke loose and hit a bridge and a subsequent photo showing how it should have been secured!

The lorry has spoked wheels and chains through the spokes like your photos above but in a slightly different arrangement:

1572163600_LoriotVehicleChains.png.3c018e7fb58ffa40902daac3783fb4c6.png

Edit: That's probably the first time the chain link brush stroke in my drawing program has ever been used for a serious purpose!

Thanks Phil, most useful.

I assume the chain between the wheels is front to back (and vice a versa) on the same side and does not go diagonally.

I keep looking at these books but so far not brought one/two.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KNP said:

Thanks Phil, most useful.

I assume the chain between the wheels is front to back (and vice a versa) on the same side and does not go diagonally.

I keep looking at these books but so far not brought one/two.

Yes, front to back and it's hard to see but I think that having passed from outside the wheel through the spokes each chain passes right through to the other side.

Looking more closely, the chains on the side that can be seen all seem to have tensioners about 6-8 links above the anchor points. Probably the same on both sides. This type of thing:

6217292.jpg?372

(Image from cplproducts.net)

The Atkins books are very good. Somewhere in "Goods Cartage Vols 1 and 2" lies the answer to the question of numbers on the sides of horse-drawn carts but I haven't quite teased it out yet. They are basically sequential "fleet numbers" in the order in which the vehicles were constructed and so they come in batches. However it gets complicated because I think unpowered vehicles had a different sequence to self-powered vehicles, some numbers got reused and, of course, all the powered vehicles were renumbered at some point when the entire system was changed!

Edited by Harlequin
  • Thanks 1