Little Muddle

KNP

22 hours ago, KNP said:

If I had to guess, then I would say it was loaded from an end dock with bulks of timber stepped down to get the heavy (rear end) on first, then removed when as far back as possible. The engine would then be driven forward to push up against a  timber bulk whilst the rear wheel was wedged into place with another piece...

very good answer, that'll show them:crazy_mini:

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Dear councillor,

I wish to withdraw my objection to the planning application for dwellings adjacent to Little Muddle station. I concede that the development has enhanced rather than detracted from the conservation area and the developers are to be commended for their sympathetic attention to detail.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Dear councillor,

I wish to withdraw my objection to the planning application for dwellings adjacent to Little Muddle station. I concede that the development has enhanced rather than detracted from the conservation area and the developers are to be commended for their sympathetic attention to detail.

It is with grateful thanks that we have now formally withdrawn your objection.

As you will be aware as a conscientious and civic minded council we take all comments, whether for or against, very seriously and as such filed all objections in the necessary receptacle found in the corner of the council chambers.

As mentioned previously this objection has now been taken out and disposed of with all due ceremony.....

Edited by KNP
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

For the record, another wagon type suitable for the job of moving "traction engines", to use the vernacular, was the "Rectank".

It was described as a "Steam Roller Trolley" with max carrying capacity around 35 tons.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Harlequin said:

For the record, another wagon type suitable for the job of moving "traction engines", to use the vernacular, was the "Rectank".

It was described as a "Steam Roller Trolley" with max carrying capacity around 35 tons.

Yes that would make sense: Rectank' Bogie Ramped Flatbed B909074

https://www.eorailway.co.uk/enthusiasts/rolling-stock/wagons/ 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Harlequin said:

I would respectfully suggest that there would be a significant loading gauge problem with a Rectank, even with the chimney removed from the Fowler ploughing engine.  This was a really big beast.  Even the cylinders on this Fowler engine would foul the loading gauge if the engine were to be mounted on a Rectank.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

But the railway did move out of gauge items around the system. It simply required additional thought and planning, for example ensuring that the load did not pass other trains on double track - as explained in the Russell book on the loading of wagons.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

There's a British Transport Film Unit feature about moving an out of gauge load, a transformer bound for Blaenau Ffestiniog, up the Conway Valley line; can't remember the title but it's well worth seeking out.  Llandudno Jc 4F and a very good explanation of how the load could be moved sideways to negotiate obstacles.  

Height seems to be an insurmountable problem though, and some things are just too big to be transported by rail or any other method, and have to be broken down and assembled on site.  If a Fowler Ploughing Engine was too big to be loaded on a Weltrol or similar, I would imagine it would be demounted from it's wheels which would go in a separate wagon.  The engine would then sit on wooden cradles supporting the underneath of the boiler.

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Crichel Down said:

I would respectfully suggest that there would be a significant loading gauge problem with a Rectank, even with the chimney removed from the Fowler ploughing engine.  This was a really big beast.  Even the cylinders on this Fowler engine would foul the loading gauge if the engine were to be mounted on a Rectank.

The description of the Rectank as a "Steam Roller Trolley" comes from the 1933 STT. See Atkins "GWR Goods Train Working Vol 1" page 124.

"GWR Goods Wagons" says specifically, "RECTANKS 17310/13/19/20/4/48 were strengthened later to carry 20-ton steam rollers and traction engines."

As Colin says, there was a system for dealing with "Exceptional loads".

Some images and information about Rectanks being used for their original purpose here:

http://www.landships.info/landships/tank_articles/Tanks_to_the_Front.html

Tanks_to_Front_2.jpg

(Sorry for the topic drift.)

Edit: I just noticed that there’s a very good view of a chain tensioner in the photo above.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

There's a British Transport Film Unit feature about moving an out of gauge load, a transformer bound for Blaenau Ffestiniog, up the Conway Valley line; can't remember the title but it's well worth seeking out.  Llandudno Jc 4F and a very good explanation of how the load could be moved sideways to negotiate obstacles.  

Measured for Transport (1962). Here's the YouTube link if anyone's interested. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

A midships of Misty

2257.jpg.703726b068174f9dfbf795f2a0c8c524.jpg

And before I get some wag commenting on why a trawler has gun ports they are movable flaps to allow sea water to wash off the decks back overboard during heavy seas....!

Edit - or washing down the decks as well

Edited by KNP
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Not quite sure if this was meant to be comical or not but it did raise a chuckle in the household

IMG_0633.jpg.64c32f55559a637db021b6f0f60b55eb.jpg

What a good idea,,,,

never thought of that before...

using a letter box to post things through....

Well done Amazon for this moment of light entertainment yesterday evening when we go home after a long journey.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 11