Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Not everybody can be trusted with sharp blades. :nowinkclear:

Blades is the best way, you wouldn’t get the control with a power tool to prevent trashing the details, like the top panel shape. Whilst I tend to take large cuts, it’s as easy, if longer, to take smaller sections off. Neals post makes me wonder about revisiting my 48xx and tidying it up

Edited by PMP
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, PMP said:

The top feed removal isn’t a difficult job to do, the key is working tidily with sharp blades. Neal didn’t start at a easy point with the Hornby/Airfix 48xx, I’ve done one and I wouldn’t start from there! If however you made a reasonable job of that one, the Pannier top feeds should be achievable. The hand rail joggle can be reversed by bending the wire in the opposite direction to the original, literally unbending it, I’ve left a couple of mine with imperfect rails as they occasionally show damage on the real thing. The pic shows high and low cab ‘57xx’s’ and a 64xx all from Bachmann origins.

Ps. Muddle looking as good as ever!

4B249CCE-E316-4840-AC25-9BC70F029984.jpeg

The more I think about it and look at your excellent results I’m going to give this a bash....not literally of course!

I shall look around for a Bachmann body only and get fettling, then swop it over to a working chassis probably 8752.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

The earlier high cab 87’s also had screw lid tank fillers rather than the lever catch. Later on there seems to be a mix of types, though as a rule the screw lid looks more prevalent.

• Informative/Useful 1

Message from Jimmy......hopefully with news about the imminent arrival from Churminster & Stowe Magna railway

He's on the phone.

OK

He's having his breakfast!

Thanks??

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1

Movement down the far end of the main platform....

No not Jimmy's full English making  a return journey but the arrival of Kneller Hall all the way the other end of the country - well the Southern Region.....

Small Prairie 4550 was given the honour of pulling 5934 to its destination.....

Quite a few of the local photographers where out to catch the arrival so pictures are from many angles...

KH13.jpg.5634bb13e5c1e031641966e09f639736.jpg

KH10.jpg.3ac8114b6800d07a8b91d9c1f5cf6e0a.jpg

KH11.jpg.4a4fb2229fc2cfed6e0faf6fd9e3e925.jpg

KH12.jpg.e2a5e12bad3a6e666056a03c503d904a.jpg

Now to follow the restoration

• Like 16

A couple of close up's to see what stands outs as being the issues that catch the eye.

KH14.jpg.04d783ecc427c785b5508ed593a00bc8.jpg

KH15.jpg.2c48f4125fba02835f4743dcf747f716.jpg

The is an old model R759 released in 1978/9 so the mouldings are not as fine and intricate as they are now but as this will be one of my 'photo prop' locos that will be seen but never really seen I think I have something to work on.

First and already done electric motor removed so model can free wheel and not interfere with DCC.

Then the most obvious is the moulded on items need removing and depth given - e.g. boiler handrail, cab and tender handrails, lamp irons, very noticeable mould line on boiler top needs removing, boiler dart.

I have looked at removing the plastic behind the name plate on the middle splasher but this would end up making a hole in the boiler side because of the way it has been made, the same with the reverser - these will be dealt with via painting to create a false shadow.

Remove the tender transfer.....sort of hits you when photographed!!!!

Paint cab interior.

Remove moulded on brake standards to tender and replace with brass ones.

This is a first look but I suspect I will end up 'tweaking more'

More to follow as work proceeds...

Edited by KNP
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, KNP said:

This is a first look but I suspect I will end up 'tweaking more'

More to follow as work proceeds...

I'm sure you'll make a silk purse out of it Kevin.  Look forward to the results.

John.

• Thanks 1

Well with the loco actually being delivered Tuesday afternoon courtesy of Bonwick Couriers work has been preceding for a day or two before it was officially announced as arriving this morning!!! 

First and foremost when working on any model you need to identify the key things that make it look an old model.

As the pictures show, it starting to change its appearance....

KH16.jpg.39667a8206c474d28d4fec746fa13ed1.jpg

KH17.jpg.fcc8e455d71165ca6456ff63e87953d3.jpg

Still loads to do but already to me it looks better.

• Like 11
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Next thing that stands out as needing attention is the motion, especially the crosshead which is a hangover from the Triang 'Albert Hall' and has roots in the Rovex Black Princess!  Kneller's body tooling is a big improvement on that model and has lost the skirts but retains the single piece moulding crudity of the blobby splashers and nameplate backing.  She'll need a bit of brake detail below the running plate and on the tender as well, and if you're thinking of low level shots a pickup scoop.  

New smokebox dart, handrails, buffers, coal in tender, cab glazing, crew, fire irons, lamp irons, tender filler cap, repaint, and name/number plates.

Plenty work there to stop you going up the pub...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I think the body is riding too high on the chassis (both loco and tender) and the shape of the top of the firebox is a bit suspect.

I'm not sure either of those things will be an easy fix but I'm willing you on!

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Kevin, never thought I'd be able to offer you advice.

But here goes.

I was fortunate to have one of the first batch of these locos. Memory says they were actually released

in 1968, at the same time as Triangs Hymek.

A few years (early 70s) I followed a Rly Modeller article in upgrading said loco.

Again from memory the  main "fault" apart from those already mentioned, is a smokebox that is 2-3mm too long,

and possibly the same behind the front bufferbeam.

This,along with removing the solid nameplates made a huge difference. Even with the rough hacking of the teenaged

Mulgabill! Most of the worst is in fact hidden quite well by the etched nameplates. (At least until they fell off).

Recently I obtained, from Peters Spares, a new set of cylinders from their current railroad model. Another good

improvement. Next I am keeping my eyes open for a set of their current driving wheels, in the hope they can be a

direct substitution. My original, and possibly yours, will not run comfortably, even on code 100 peco.

I am away at present so can't attach a pic, but if your interested my Hall has appeared on my Helstonish thread.

I am now awaiting, with interest, whilsst you eclipse my efforts.

All the best

TONY

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Harlequin said:

I think the body is riding too high on the chassis (both loco and tender) and the shape of the top of the firebox is a bit suspect.

I'm not sure either of those things will be an easy fix but I'm willing you on!

You might be right; Triang Hornby models of that era sat about 2mm too high. 

4 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

Memory says they were actually released

in 1968, at the same time as Triangs Hymek.

My memory agrees with this.  I think these locos were Triang's first foray into WR locos in 4mm since the 3MT (82004 was allocated to Barry at the time of the Triang release).  They followed up with the 8750 and D68xx.  They'd done a Castle and a large prairie in 3mm, though.  The Britannia predated the Hall and Hymek, but a WR allocated loco had to wait for Morning Star in the late 70s.

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The Hall will be an interesting project Kevin. I don’t think it’s something that I would tackle, I quite like the Railroad Halll, although that has it’s limitations, but I’m prepared to live with them.

Plus, I’ve already got 3 x Bachmann Halls!

Good luck with the project, it’s going to be interesting to see how you get on. Those new handrails look better straight away..... can the loco be positioned in such a way that you don’t see the wheels and motion!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

Thanks for your comments.

Fear not I am more than happy to receive advise, as very often it covers things I have presently missed.

I am still looking over the model to see what else I can do and now you've mentioned the smokebox and front plate it does look rather to long,

Peter's spares is a good shout, I will look to see what they have got that I can use.

This model will not work as I have removed the motor so running will not be an issue.

One loves a challenge and though I am not aiming to make this 100% accurate I do want it to look better than it did.

The nameplate is my biggest issue as it looks so wrong to me that I expect the Dremmel will be out to, well adjust it, and I do have some new brass nameplates for it.

Thanks again and I will keep posting.

Any pictures you have will be greatly received.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Work is proceeding on KH, slight change of direction after looking at a dimensioned drawing and after an earlier comment by Mulgabil realised how long in the nose the front lower frame was

So time for action

After measuring is indeed about 9" to long (scale dimension that is)

IMG_0868.jpg.d9b88f49ccb3703fa0968c1aac68f32c.jpg

So a bit needs to be removed as indicated

IMG_0871.jpg.2e6bffac595a57d629cffd3e2d833304.jpg

To late to change my mind now!!!

IMG_0874.jpg.66b873fb100057302b9c3973d95c576b.jpg

All glued in place with some strengthening plastic on the underside to bridge the gap

IMG_0876.jpg.89adf8121e4c3d2a8ea031160ed8a858.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg.f71b93d479a634bce6ae852c3ecd805b.jpg

Put to one side now so glue can thoroughly set overnight before I fill and sand smooth.

Another change was to remove the solid tender cab handrails and fit wire ones you can see through

IMG_0878.jpg.b1e89ae0d1d96a9390a0a875d09d4934.jpg

What is helping this little escapade is that I have some excellent pictures and drawings in this book

IMG_0675.JPG.5ea52546b2b2f8bac2871fef206de6ba.JPG

The front bogie is now to big as the spacing between the axles is way to big so fear not intrepid followers I will be building another one from scratch....

More anon

PS - pictures a bit grainy because its dark here because of the rain and I used my iPhone with the room lights on.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7