Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold
On 27/10/2019 at 17:10, Simond said:

Why didn’t you tell her the time of the train back to your home?  It would have answered her question honestly, if unhelpfully.

then again she might have been on it with you...

atb

Simon

Good lord no; I didn’t want her anywhere near my place!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 27/10/2019 at 20:07, Northroader said:

Talking about directions from folk up the valleys, I was asking how to get to some place from the chargehand at Rhymney. Now, he’d come to BR from being a leccy at NCB, quite an ebullient, talkative guy, and, being Welsh, knowing that self improvement shouldn’t stop when you leave school. “Well,” he says, “you come up the road from Caerphilly, then when you reach the alluvial plateau...”

Wasn’t Tommy ‘Horizontal’ Rees, who demolished the NCB loco shed at Nantgarw with a Hunslet 18”, by any chance, was it?

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Simond said:

Kevin

is it a little bit too high?

Answering my own question. Looked back at the “delivery” photos, and the buffers don’t line up, so I suspect both loco and tender are showing giraffe-like tendencies

atb

Simon

This might be an issue, as Triang Hornby stock of a certain vintage does ride about 2mm too high at the buffers.  This was deliberate and something to with coupling performance or clearance on setrack curve I believe.

It can usually be rectified be taking metal off the chassis block so that the body moulding sits correctly, but loco and tender have to he done, and you may run into internal clearance issues but this should not be a problem with a loco that is going to be a non runner with the motor removed. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Wasn’t Tommy ‘Horizontal’ Rees, who demolished the NCB loco shed at Nantgarw with a Hunslet 18”, by any chance, was it?

Fraid not, guy was Kieth Harries, usually we referred to him as “Butt”, as he’d called everybody that, but as you’d know, everybody up the valleys called everyone else “Butt”, as in Butty, or mate. He was one of the most talkative, outgoing guys I ever met.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Tommy was a loco fitter rather than a leccy, so it couldn't have been him.  He'd been on nights and attended to something on one of Nantgarw's Hunslets, leaving the loco in light steam and reverse gear, handbrake not fully screwed down.  He put a couple of rounds in the box to keep the fire going for the morning, then retired to the cabin to get his head down, a habit which was the genesis of his nickname.  Pressure rose until the loco moved off against the handbrake, demolishing the brick back wall of the shed; nobody was hurt fortunately.  Management did not see the funny side, so this was the end of Tommy's NCB career and he went to work for the Post Office, where I knew him.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

A bacon butty, perchance?

Don't mention that in front of my youngest granddaughter, she likes Peppa Pig.....

a few weeks ago they where having dinner here of bacon, egg and chips and her elder sister turned and said you do realise you are eating 'George'.....!

Well that was an interesting evening that was trying to calm her down, so from here on in we refer to it as ham and she seems to be happy with that.....

It is not the same in the eyes of a 4 year old....

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, KNP said:

Don't mention that in front of my youngest granddaughter, she likes Peppa Pig.....

a few weeks ago they where having dinner here of bacon, egg and chips and her elder sister turned and said you do realise you are eating 'George'.....!

Personally I think George needs eating-  he alone has taught my grandchildren that they can get out of anything by saying    No!

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

10 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Aren't Cakebox challanges suppose to include 2 items of railway origin? I can see the coal, but not sure about the other one?

:jester:

Al.

I can always fix Duncan Bisketts walking down a path!!!

• Funny 3