Little Muddle

KNP

On 11/01/2020 at 16:51, KNP said:

Now here is a question.

Snowflake will be crewed, normally 4 in number, so I have been searching various sites that do model figures.

I can get a captain that looks like he is straight off the bridge of the Titanic or seamen that are in the teeth of a gale wearing heavy weather gear.

Then I watched a short clip on You Tube of The Maggie that was in B/W filmed in 1954 (as recommended earlier by Figworthy) and I realised that the crew dressed like railwaymen...….!

So, as I now have another set of 8 Modelu GWR loco crew, I had an idea and set this picture up.

SF5.jpg.1ab703c00f79563b7aa5b1e371710083.jpg

I reckon, if I paint the trousers/jacket say black or navy with a suitable cream shirt I could have found some crew members.

Anybody got any thoughts?

PS - close ups are cruel as it shows up all the areas that need attention!!!

Bit late now perhaps but I reckon the cover picture of this edition of Neil Munro's book isn't far off the mark.

P1030191.JPG

The Maggie was also made at a time when Clyde Puffers were still in regular service (albeit declining) so was probably quite well observed.

I also found this from the Scottish Maritime Museum.

6119892039_1369f775fb_b.jpg

The Druid was a larger vessel  but the deck crew's attire is probably not far off.  Though there was a 66ft Puffer called Druid built in 1905 and scrapped in 1959 (under a different name) this isn't her. 

A bit more delving has revealed that this is the 197 gross ton MV Druid built in the Netherlands in 1958 and owned by J.J. Hay (the same company  that owned the two puffers that played The Maggie) She capsized and foundered in the Ribble estuary in 1962 with the loss of three of her crew and sadly some or all of them may be in this photo.  Though a total loss she was recovered and renamed the Bridget C. though the new owner's plans for her came to naught. She was rather larger than a puffer and really more typical of a small motor coaster.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

7 minutes ago, KNP said:

Peaceful scene at Little Muddle station.

Auto train has just arrived, fireman needs to swop lights for return journey.

No rush though as they don't need to leave for another 15mins, time for a quick brew before then....

Explains why the passengers are rushing to board!

2707.jpg.bf88a21227d5ae0a61a9ac2b29fbecfd.jpg

Kevin,

Apologies for being picky, but the board walk across the tracks look a tad uneven, definitely need to keep passengers clear of them!

Not that they ought to be going across there anyway but you know what they are like for taking a short cut!

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Just melted away...

Having her wooden wheelhouse front replaced with a canvas dodger?

No...No...No

You’ve got it the wrong way round!

She is being modernised by have her canvas wheelhouse being replaced with a wooden one.....

This is 1938 after all.....

• Like 6

Ahhh.....is this the reason why Snowflake has been parked for the moment....!

Phase 1 complete

3EDE7F6D-892C-438C-90AD-C028337416A6.jpeg.e8726fda4321d3224db92ff5cbda93b0.jpeg

Back to basic’s, CDU and centre off switches completely separate from the Railmaster system to control the points.

Points now changing perfectly, found over the years Railmaster was to hit and miss, one minute they worked then the next they wouldn’t even though I increased the transformer to 4amps.

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

This really is a quite outstanding model railway. 

On 29/02/2020 at 11:52, Tallpaul69 said:

Kevin,

Apologies for being picky, but the board walk across the tracks look a tad uneven, definitely need to keep passengers clear of them!

Not that they ought to be going across there anyway but you know what they are like for taking a short cut!

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Paul

And, yes, that in my opinion is being picky and somewhat unnecessary. 

Rob. 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1