Jump to content

KNP

Little Muddle

Recommended Posts

 

1 hour ago, 88D said:

And upside down!

 

Well yes there is that.

  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep Calm and Muddle On....

  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting to see the difference in contrast between the two B&W versions. The camera does a pretty good job, doesn't it? I really must get mine to do more than just take snapshots! Once travel restrictions are lifted I must come for some lessons. :-)

  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Interesting to see the difference in contrast between the two B&W versions. The camera does a pretty good job, doesn't it? I really must get mine to do more than just take snapshots! Once travel restrictions are lifted I must come for some lessons. :-)

You will be more than welcome once life gets to some sort of normality .

I was surprised at the difference, I have always taken colour and then turned it monochrome.

Think I might use the camera settings from now on.

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KNP said:

You will be more than welcome once life gets to some sort of normality .

I was surprised at the difference, I have always taken colour and then turned it monochrome.

Think I might use the camera settings from now on.

 

 

 

The Black & White from the camera looks sharper, but just a thought on the files.  I presume this was your workflow.

Colour, straight out of the camera as a jpg file.

Colour changed to B&W exported from Affinity as a jpg file.

B&W straight out of the camera as a jpg file.

 

The B&W exported from Affinity will have been saved as a jpg for the second time, therefore you will have lost even more definition compared to the single save of the B&W from the camera.

Also do you export your Affinity jpg's at 100% quality?

You are now going to tell me you took all the originals in RAW format and blow my theory away.:jester:

 

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Donington Road said:

 

The Black & White from the camera looks sharper, but just a thought on the files.  I presume this was your workflow.

Colour, straight out of the camera as a jpg file.

Colour changed to B&W exported from Affinity as a jpg file.

B&W straight out of the camera as a jpg file.

 

The B&W exported from Affinity will have been saved as a jpg for the second time, therefore you will have lost even more definition compared to the single save of the B&W from the camera.

Also do you export your Affinity jpg's at 100% quality?

You are now going to tell me you took all the originals in RAW format and blow my theory away.:jester:

 

 

 

 

Workflow...

Colour by camera as an MP.4 file in post focus mode.

Colour changed to B&W in Affinity and exported as a jpg. file

 

Camera set to monochrome but as for colour in an MP.4 file in post focus.

Post focus merged in monochrome in Affinity then exported as a jpg.file

 

All my files are exported from Affinity at 85% so there is a straight coloration between colour and monochrome.

 

Regarding RAW when the camera is set in Post Focus mode the RAW function is unavailable.

 

Just as an exercise

 

Affinity at 85%

 

2785AM85.jpg.cb8bd0d0373b18ffce4c8a92b3645ee1.jpg

 

 

Affinity at 100%

 

2785AM100.jpg.7519d4b5b19970e4e206bbfe7a1bd094.jpg

 

Camera (still at Affinity 85%)

 

2781.jpg.30e78299dd0565b7d324e1bd32e8fd77.jpg

 

Can't see any difference between Affinity %

and camera still sharper.

 

Thanks for asking, good little exercise to ensure I was on a level playing field

  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting about the Camera Kevin @KNP I always maintain that an image is made in the camera and that software is only there to manipulate it!

 

As ever, great shots.

 

Have a missed the placing of the new lorry?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

Interesting about the Camera Kevin @KNP I always maintain that an image is made in the camera and that software is only there to manipulate it!

 

As ever, great shots.

 

Have a missed the placing of the new lorry?

Thanks.

 

Regarding the placing of the lorry.....

it is finished

it is close....

very close!!

pictures taken, though not happy with the angles used as it doesn’t quite catch ‘feel’ so might retake..

 

Currently sitting outside of Tesco superstore whilst the wife shops in the NHS hour.

  • Friendly/supportive 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, KNP said:

Currently sitting outside of Tesco superstore whilst the wife shops in the NHS hour.

 

Pity you can't nip into MacDonalds for a quick coffee while you're waiting.  :(

  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

 

Pity you can't nip into MacDonalds for a quick coffee while you're waiting.  :(

Well I could have done if I had brought my crowbar!!!

That is the one thing that is causing the biggest issue with our grandchildren - when can they have their next Happy Meal!!!

Wish it was that simple....

Edited by KNP
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi Kevin,

It looks like Affinity is combining the colour channels to make grey levels in a different way than your camera does.

You can, of course, control that in excruciating detail :wink_mini: in the Affinity program but one of the simplest ways is the "Curves" function. It will show you a straight diagonal line across a histogram when you first click it and if you drag that line gently upwards in the middle you should see something closer to the camera's version.

Grandmother? Eggs?

 

Edited by Harlequin
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, KNP said:

 

....Currently sitting outside of Tesco superstore whilst the wife shops in the NHS hour.

 

You're lucky you can still do that. Here in Spain our lockdown rules mean there can only be one person in the car and families are strictly not allowed in the supermarkets.

  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice shots Kevin.

If you were to be taking shots in RAW but set the camera to show b&w on its screen, the RAW would still be in colour but the camera would generate a b&w jpeg to show on its screen. In post-processing this would give you more flexibity for editing because applying, say, a red filter or a green filter when generating a b&w image will produce quite different effects in the output.

I probably need to explain that better, but I assure you that it is correct!

(Nevertheless it is of little value as you don't shoot RAW, so I shall shut up and go and make some tea!). :crazy_mini:

Tony

  • Informative/Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

Nice shots Kevin.

If you were to be taking shots in RAW but set the camera to show b&w on its screen, the RAW would still be in colour but the camera would generate a b&w jpeg to show on its screen. In post-processing this would give you more flexibity for editing because applying, say, a red filter or a green filter when generating a b&w image will produce quite different effects in the output.

I probably need to explain that better, but I assure you that it is correct!

(Nevertheless it is of little value as you don't shoot RAW, so I shall shut up and go and make some tea!). :crazy_mini:

Tony

Thanks

Enjoy your tea...

I’m enjoying mine at the moment......

 

D9708A4C-C047-4CA3-964A-69081460039E.jpeg.2fdbe2106a3ae06e30a921ce61aecc35.jpeg

  • Like 3
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, KNP said:

Still on me monochrome fix, shouldn't take so many pictures I suppose in the first instance!!

 

2787.jpg.4ed1686bcb504a0d03b96561c8a43e62.jpg

 

And to date my favourite.

I expect its because the camera is roughly at eye level

 

2786.jpg.995acd2ce0a7fa9d5e3b177844c1e085.jpg

 

Can I be permitted to take a contrary view?  (I am a lawyer in case anyone wants to know).

 

I am not a big fan of the backscenes and, with respect, I do not believe they show up that well in B&W.  They almost look cartoonish.  That statement is not intended to take anything away form the modelling.

 

So in the alternative I am suggesting a more drastic cropping.

Edited by Bogie
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

No problems with contrary views, in fact I quite like because it makes you look again at what you do and I enjoy reading other peoples comments.

I went for these backscenes from the Townscenes range because of the hand drawn effect and the slightly faded reproduction (intentional of course) made, in my eyes matched the Noch sky/ground backscene I had used plus they disappear into the distance..

 

Many of the pictures I have taken in monochrome I also took in colour, in case one day I wanted to reissue them in colour.

 

So I have edited the colour version of the last picture, I will never stop using colour but I have found some pictures suit monochrome better than others.

 

2786a.jpg.01bd9555f817a13a8a94b2729fd1a722.jpg

 

 I leave you all to decide which is your favourite, I have mine....

Edited by KNP
  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, KNP said:

 I leave you all to decide which is your favourite, I have mine....

 

In this case I have to agree with Bogie, even though he's a lawyer. The backscene is less obvious in colour than it is in monochrome.

 

It's still a good model, though!

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mick Bonwick said:

 

In this case I have to agree with Bogie, even though he's a lawyer. The backscene is less obvious in colour than it is in monochrome.

 

It's still a good model, though!

 

To me in the colour one the backscene has a slightly 'cartoony' look where as the B&W looks more hazy, distant and subdued.

 

  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No offence taken to my occupation and I agree it looks better in colour but . . . I still have my reservations.

 

Each to their own as I say.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KNP said:

Still on me monochrome fix, shouldn't take so many pictures I suppose in the first instance!!

 

2787.jpg.4ed1686bcb504a0d03b96561c8a43e62.jpg

 

And to date my favourite.

I expect its because the camera is roughly at eye level

 

2786.jpg.995acd2ce0a7fa9d5e3b177844c1e085.jpg

I'm just glad the boards are on; I'm preconditioned to panic if the main line board is off and express headlights are that close.

  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

I'm just glad the boards are on; I'm preconditioned to panic if the main line board is off and express headlights are that close.


Don’t panic.,.

The loco heading towards is actually slowing to stop at Encombe Town.

In reality to get the distance it is in fact only the loco backed up to black screen - some say it’s cheating I say photographic license!!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The backscene looks a bit more convincing in B&W than colour (spelled the UK way.)

  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Bogie said:

No offence taken to my occupation and I agree it looks better in colour but . . . I still have my reservations.

 

Each to their own as I say.

Better than Net Curtains?:D

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.