Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold
On 10/04/2020 at 08:08, KNP said:

2792.jpg.f43b9f7a14efd355fa81c857fafa0beb.jpg

What did you use for the rear covering that the guy is peeking through Kev ? The material might make a nice tarp for a load covering.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

What did you use for the rear covering that the guy is peeking through Kev ? The material might make a nice tarp for a load covering.

You better not say toilet paper.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Plain and simple bit of plastic from a shopping bag cut into strips and fitted to a card backing.

These are the ingredients

CD16086C-3D3C-4E90-A0D8-7FC13D8ACAC5.jpeg.592a233a82ee0d20df3955374d13dae2.jpeg

67C62947-D874-4B48-BD29-D38953BD86B4.jpeg.3391ced83bd1b6d36fe9a89967650230.jpeg

Then painted to suit.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
On 12/04/2020 at 15:01, KNP said:

Alright, I know we are the stand in loco but we aren't designed for this!

So we'll have to do it the old fashioned way.

I'll lean out the cab and when I say go you start backing up....

Ready....

2796.jpg.744d8ee6c3ef98eb460f759ddc44c42c.jpg

This probably happened in reality much more than it was supposed to, but not with non-auto fitted locos.  Of course, 8752 has to propel it's coach out of the bay in order to run around it.  Cwmdimbath, 2 decades away from Enscombe and about 45 miles to the northwest on the other side of the Bristol Channel, where men are man and so are women, and sheep are nervous, is based on Abergwynfi, where photos show that the use of auto trailers with 57s, 8750s, and 56xx was by no means uncommon; auto working was introduced here in 1953 as a consequence of a major change in timetabling to 'regular interval' working in the Newport Division.  4575s and some Collett flat ended compartment stock was auto fitted in connection with this, and 3 4575s allocated to Tondu for auto work, with 64xx turning up in 1960.  It is difficult to track what locos went where when but some information can be gleaned from BR Database website; it seems that there were only ever 5 auto fitted locos at Tondu at the most at any one time, to cover work on the Porthcawl, Abergwynfi, Blaengarw, Nantymoel, and Gilfach Goch branches.  If one's out of service for a boiler washout, that's not enough to maintain the service and Abergwynfi seems to have been the usual suspect as far as using 'normal' locos and running around went.   

post-13142-0-98936500-1451296784.jpg.e93734359945a1a5ff083c48596ceae1.jpg

Google images shot of 5756 with 3 auto trailers, a steel sheeted saloon type, so A27/8/30, an A44 compartment 'Cyclops', and another steel sheeted saloon.  The Cyclops is one of the converted 1953 Collett flatenders, so called because they had a single rectangular driver's window in the centre of the end; the bell was mounted below it.  All 3 coaches are in BR crimson, and the shelter beyond the signal box burned down in 1959, so the date is between 1953 and 9.  The train has just cleared the top of the bank and the shutter has been pressed maybe 3 or 4 puffs after steam has been shut off; the safety valves are about to lift and the fireman will be injecting some nice cold water to keep her quiet in a second or so.  The signalman is at the foot of the steps waiting for the token, and the porter seems to be expecting something big enough to warrant a sack truck.  We are a long way from Little Muddle's rural idyll, and the road behind the station climbs very steeply to the Avon Colliery, which had a kick back siding serving a goods shed despite being behind the colliery gate.  The gradients here, and at Blaengarw the other side of the mountain to the left of this shot, demanded 42xx on 25 wagon trains of empties.

The Dimbath valley actually exists, a tributary stream to the Ogwr between Nantymoel and Gilfach Goch, but never had a mining village or a railway (it was in fact undermined by pits from neighbouring valleys.  it is still remote, and it's upper reaches heavily wooded.  It is a very rare remnant of the sylvan loveliness that the Valleys must have been 200 years ago, before it was all buried under coal spoil and the trees cut for pit props.  My great aunt Nell, a wonderful character with a beard who smoked a clay pipe, was born in the same house she died in in Tonypandy in 1963; her mother told her of a time when 'a squirrel could go from one end of the Rhondda to the other without ever having to come to the ground'.  He still could, but he'd have to do it on the train...

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

One angle on what coaches turned up on branches is if children travelled to school using the service. The GWR branch I lived on had this happening for quite a lot of kids going from the terminus to an intermediate station where there was a high school. (Co -ed, needing supervision in case “things” happened, - they still did!!) As a result, most of the services used two main line corridor coaches, and I have occasionally seen saloon autocoaches used, all behind a 44xx or a 57xx.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

This probably happened in reality much more than it was supposed to, but not with non-auto fitted locos.  Of course, 8752 has to propel it's coach out of the bay in order to run around it.  Cwmdimbath, 2 decades away from Enscombe and about 45 miles to the northwest on the other side of the Bristol Channel, where men are man and so are women, and sheep are nervous, is based on Abergwynfi, where photos show that the use of auto trailers with 57s, 8750s, and 56xx was by no means uncommon; auto working was introduced here in 1953 as a consequence of a major change in timetabling to 'regular interval' working in the Newport Division.  4575s and some Collett flat ended compartment stock was auto fitted in connection with this, and 3 4575s allocated to Tondu for auto work, with 64xx turning up in 1960.  It is difficult to track what locos went where when but some information can be gleaned from BR Database website; it seems that there were only ever 5 auto fitted locos at Tondu at the most at any one time, to cover work on the Porthcawl, Abergwynfi, Blaengarw, Nantymoel, and Gilfach Goch branches.  If one's out of service for a boiler washout, that's not enough to maintain the service and Abergwynfi seems to have been the usual suspect as far as using 'normal' locos and running around went.   

post-13142-0-98936500-1451296784.jpg.e93734359945a1a5ff083c48596ceae1.jpg

Google images shot of 5756 with 3 auto trailers, a steel sheeted saloon type, so A27/8/30, an A44 compartment 'Cyclops', and another steel sheeted saloon.  The Cyclops is one of the converted 1953 Collett flatenders, so called because they had a single rectangular driver's window in the centre of the end; the bell was mounted below it.  All 3 coaches are in BR crimson, and the shelter beyond the signal box burned down in 1959, so the date is between 1953 and 9.  The train has just cleared the top of the bank and the shutter has been pressed maybe 3 or 4 puffs after steam has been shut off; the safety valves are about to lift and the fireman will be injecting some nice cold water to keep her quiet in a second or so.  The signalman is at the foot of the steps waiting for the token, and the porter seems to be expecting something big enough to warrant a sack truck.  We are a long way from Little Muddle's rural idyll, and the road behind the station climbs very steeply to the Avon Colliery, which had a kick back siding serving a goods shed despite being behind the colliery gate.  The gradients here, and at Blaengarw the other side of the mountain to the left of this shot, demanded 42xx on 25 wagon trains of empties.

The Dimbath valley actually exists, a tributary stream to the Ogwr between Nantymoel and Gilfach Goch, but never had a mining village or a railway (it was in fact undermined by pits from neighbouring valleys.  it is still remote, and it's upper reaches heavily wooded.  It is a very rare remnant of the sylvan loveliness that the Valleys must have been 200 years ago, before it was all buried under coal spoil and the trees cut for pit props.  My great aunt Nell, a wonderful character with a beard who smoked a clay pipe, was born in the same house she died in in Tonypandy in 1963; her mother told her of a time when 'a squirrel could go from one end of the Rhondda to the other without ever having to come to the ground'.  He still could, but he'd have to do it on the train...

I think that photo was the inspiration for Chris Klein’s Cwm Bach.

atb

Simon

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Simond said:

I think that photo was the inspiration for Chris Klein’s Cwm Bach.

atb

Simon

A superb layout, far better than anything I can do, and his interpretation of the buildings is spot on.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That is wonderful!

I'm glad you are back in full colour mode. I think your colour sense is one of your greatest skills, and where LM pulls ahead of many other well-known and much admired models.

:smileclear:

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

For an example of a non-auto loco working with an autotrailer, see the Watlington Branch.  A trailer was used in order to access the low (track level) halt platforms on the branch, but the trailer had to be run round at each end of the journey, at Watlington and at Princes Risborough .  Pannier tanks [2021, later 5700/8750] were routinely allocated to the Watlington branch, and were photographed hauling (but never propelling) the branch trailer .

There were also examples of auto-fitted tanks sometimes propelling  an autotrailer without the auto-gear connected up.  The driver would use bell signals to tell the fireman to  close the regulator and apply the brake.  The inevitable was bound to happen eventually, for example at Clevedon, where the autotrailer collided with the buffer stops, and the crew were hauled up before the Divisional Superintendent in Bristol for what was, on any view,  serious misconduct.  

• Informative/Useful 2

You are all very kind.....

No one has mentioned I have the wrong name on my King class loco.

I have King Stephen but it appears that changed in May 1936 and not 1938 as I thought.

To rectify this I have ordered a new name plate to correct this to King Edward V111 from Modelmaster JE which I have been informed has been dispatched.

So here is the wrongly named loco which will entering the loco works in due course for a bit of titivation!

2804.jpg.600c12cdd72b2dd5fed7f2d8535ea355.jpg

Edited by KNP
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, KNP said:

I have King Stephen but it appears that changed in May 1936 and not 1938 as I thought.

Know what you mean.  I originally intended to make my first King 'King Henry II', but once I'd fixed the date as 1939 (give or take a year as modeller's license applied) I realised it would have to be something else.  Luckily I hadn't bought the plates!

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, checkrail said:

Know what you mean.  I originally intended to make my first King 'King Henry II', but once I'd fixed the date as 1939 (give or take a year as modeller's license applied) I realised it would have to be something else.  Luckily I hadn't bought the plates!

Surely you must (as I do, even though it never crossed the Tamar) have 6026 on your roster?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Surely you must (as I do, even though it never crossed the Tamar) have 6026 on your roster?

Afraid not, though I have his brother.  And I also have Henry V.  My son's given names are Richard Henry. 

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Do not want to create a constitutional crisis, but  what about those of us who do not recognise Edward VIII as a King?

I must say I also do not recognise King Stephen either (having just read a biography of Matilda).

Again it's the lawyer in me.

Edited by Bogie
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Bogie said:

Do not want to create a constitutional crisis, but about what those of us who do not recognise Edward VIII as a King?

I must say I also do not recognise King Stephen either (having just read a biography of Matilda).

Again it's the lawyer in me.

I recognise the Queen but I'm not sure that she'd recognise me.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15

1 hour ago, MrDobilina said:

Wish my allotment looked that tidy

You ought to have seen it before the picture!!!!

I had to help tidy it up when we saw the photographer arrive.....

• Funny 9