Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, KNP said:

.....where has the time gone

If you reset this layout to 1935 instead of 1938 you will regain 3 years.

Something to think about.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Crichel Down said:

My understanding is that GWR passenger stock got a partial repaint and revarnishing at intervals of about two years.  This was not a total repaint, but simply redoing the top coat and fresh coat of varnish, but it did involve re-lettering and re-lining, so the coach would be returned to traffic displaying the latest livery.

This is interesting - especially the two year bit.  I'd always assumed around seven.  As suggested, one possible answer is a time frame ( five or ten years, say) rather than an exact date or year, an approach recommended by none other than David Jenkinson in his otherwise quite purist article on historical modelling, "Is your mutton dressed as lamb?" in the Sept 1964 RM.  I like having a mixture of pre- and post-1934 liveries on coaches, but I also have locos and rolling stock (and a road vehicle) dating to the 1938/9 period, which I wouldn't want to get rid of.   Let's call it a sub-set of Rule 1.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, checkrail said:

This is interesting - especially the two year bit.  I'd always assumed around seven.  As suggested, one possible answer is a time frame ( five or ten years, say) rather than an exact date or year, an approach recommended by none other than David Jenkinson in his otherwise quite purist article on historical modelling, "Is your mutton dressed as lamb?" in the Sept 1964 RM.  I like having a mixture of pre- and post-1934 liveries on coaches, but I also have locos and rolling stock (and a road vehicle) dating to the 1938/9 period, which I wouldn't want to get rid of.   Let's call it a sub-set of Rule 1.

Quite right John. As followers of the Mid-Cornwall Lines know, the period for my layout is "The 1950s" - so anything that was around between 1/1/50 and 31/12/59 inclusive can find a place.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

I surmise that I might adopt this slightly vague year formats so from here on in Little Muddle will be based in the mid 30’s.

How’s that sound.

Thanks for all your comments.

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, checkrail said:

gwr.org.uk says this on the subject:

A note on coach livery repainting intervals:

In general, a coach livery pre-WWI was expected to last approximately 10–12 years before repainting was necessary. From 1922 onward, with the re-introduction of the brown and cream body colours, it seems less varnishing was applied, and the repainting interval for non-express stock dropped to approximately 7 years. For express stock, the pace of repainting seems to have accelerated during the mid- to late-1920s as a result of the GWR Board voting for extra funds to be made available to hasten the repainting program. As a consequence, it was rare to see a crimson lake corridor coach after 1927/8, and rare to find a fully-lined (pre-1927) corridor coach after c 1930.

Assessing what livery a coach should be in a particular era, especially when the official livery was changing quite rapidly (throughout the 1920s, and post-1948) is therefore difficult, and some intelligent guesswork needs to be applied using the build date of a coach. As always, good contemporary pictures help considerably.

I hope @Miss Prism doesn't mind me quoting the site. I have included a link above.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

51 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

gwr.org.uk says this on the subject:

I hope @Miss Prism doesn't mind me quoting the site. I have included a link above.)

Thanks Phil

Now you have posted this it reminded me I had actually read this many times - obviously not taken it in!!!!

So it looks like if I stick with the mid 30's anything goes.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Simond said:

Yes, don’t want Mrs Boggiss’ new hat to get wet between coach and canopy do we.?  That would never do.

(sorry, forgot that little Muddle is like Camelot, it only rains at night)

atb

Simon

It's not just Mrs Boggiss and her new 'at, it's a good idea to position your train beneath or as close as possible to the canopy for unloading parcels and mails.  You want this done, and the passengers off the premises, as quickly as possible so that they do not interfere with the running around movement (put a passenger anywhere near a carriage door and he/she'll open it just as you want to set back; passengers are a PITA).  

The loco release crossover may be an issue as well, if it does not have a facing point lock a train carrying passengers must not pass over it in the facing direction.  What happens at Cwmdimbath is that the train comes to a stand with the stock centrally positioned around the canopy.  The exit here is not through the station building and the passengers are funnelled to the exit gate where tickets are shown while the parcels are unloaded.  This complete, the empty train is set back to enable the run around to be performed or, if it's an auto, to clear the loco release turnout which does not have an FPL.  When the loco has run around and coupled to the stock, a pause is observed while the brake continuity test is carried out, and then it sets back to a position where the rear bogie is clear of the loco release turnout.  This is marked by the cessation of the white line on the platform edge and a prominent 'way out' notice with a handsign pointing at the gate.  The area of platform past this is out of bounds to passengers, who have no reason to frequent it anyway, and is used to park the station's trolley and sack truck.

This is because the box is too small to accommodate a lever frame that would include the relevant levers, points, FPL, and ground signal.  Unless I make the industrial estate siding a lever frame, which would look a bit odd so close to the box. 

The gate can now be opened (in practice it never gets closed, and the station is unstaffed after 18.00 but the last auto arrives at 23.55, a connection off the 20.15 Paddinton-Swansea which benefits any revellers returning from the fleshpots of Bridgend (the real train ran to Abergwynfi; good luck getting up there by public transport nowadays at that time!).  The driver collects the token from the box, the signal is cleared, and when departure time arrives the train sets off for Bridgend, everybody goes inside out of the rain for a cuppa, and the station is left to the sheep.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 5

Works come to halt on 4589, waiting for some white metal sandboxes to arrive.

Roof removed so I can paint body and get the crew into the cab.

Sorry for the wobbly video, must sort out some panning camera stand, all mine are fixed for photos.

Not bad for a 40year old model, not the smoothest at slow speed and occasionally the gears bind but I can live with that

Edited by KNP
  • Like 5

Decided to press on with 4589 even though sand boxes haven't arrived.

Now sporting brakes!!

Painted areas with Vallejo Black Grey including the wheels/motion and changed appearance dramatically.

This is the single most used paint on Little Muddle.

DBD6A365-4E3C-4C55-8B78-E8ED58817043.jpeg.e10e7651019072b05e0e817fb5de8536.jpeg

153D139E-044D-4346-BC43-32031C8C6668.jpeg.ecbb4c57c7f287a29a7a419b50b10e47.jpeg

Loco has been on the rolling road to check I have not gummed up the works!!

Leave to dry and then paint body.

• Like 19

I'm enjoying your project on the old Lima tank, I can remember buying one of those from Waltons Model shop in Chester and it was the Bees Knees in my mind anyway. As you know I've been working on a couple of old Lima Siphons for Chumley End and it does amaze me how good the detail was considering how long ago they were produced. They certainly don't look out of place alongside today's models. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 minutes ago, gismorail said:

I'm enjoying your project on the old Lima tank, I can remember buying one of those from Waltons Model shop in Chester and it was the Bees Knees in my mind anyway. As you know I've been working on a couple of old Lima Siphons for Chumley End and it does amaze me how good the detail was considering how long ago they were produced. They certainly don't look out of place alongside today's models. 

Agree, the body detail is good but let down by poor chassis/motion detailing.

You can see what I have ‘tweaked’ to suit me eg lamp brackets, handrails, smokebox handle, etc.

Motive power is a bit suspect as one moment it runs well then the gears seem to bind, quick pull in the opposite direction and away she goes...

I got mine of flea bay but it got dropped before posting so I worked a deal and payed £7.50 for it so long as I gave a good review. Happy to do that, bit more battered than first thought but easily sorted.

I seem to be getting into the habit of updating/moding old models - I now have 5!!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, gismorail said:

31 minutes ago, KNP said:

Agree, the body detail is good but let down by poor chassis/motion detailing.

You can see what I have ‘tweaked’ to suit me eg lamp brackets, handrails, smokebox handle, etc.

Motive power is a bit suspect as one moment it runs well then the gears seem to bind, quick pull in the opposite direction and away she goes...

I got mine of flea bay but it got dropped before posting so I worked a deal and payed £7.50 for it so long as I gave a good review. Happy to do that, bit more battered than first thought but easily sorted.

I seem to be getting into the habit of updating/moding old models - I now have 5!!

It was a very good moulding for its time but the whole body sits about 2mm too high, presumably to get the motor in the boiler. As long as you don't stand it next to a Bachmann one all will be well.

• Agree 2

On 27/04/2020 at 17:03, KNP said:

All joking aside it was wonderful idea and many thanks to Andy York and all those that helped him to organise and run this event in support of a very worthwhile charity - NHS Charities Together.

Once all this is over, it seems possible that the world will never be quite the same again.

Perhaps an exhibition like this can might become a regular event. As with LM, I suspect that there are a lot of layouts that will only get a public airing at such an show.

• Agree 10

Latest on 4589

Bodywork given two coats of Humbrol RC405, transfers added and number fitted.

Already had two coats of Dullcote so once transfer dry another couple of coats to seal it all together.

58FAFBF9-A690-433D-B67B-BFFEA8F7957B.jpeg.7ef8f6bff8a4407ac81500e54394a69c.jpeg

IMG_1357.jpg.14a61afe4cf3cdc403f620b1c10b6d31.jpg

Just sandboxes and some pipework to add when it arrives from Phoenix, in post apparently.

Crew to add, might need some surgery to squeeze between cab side and motor, then I can put the roof on (that’s painted and ready).

Edited by KNP
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

4589 on the rolling road.

Not to check the running but to ensure the driver did not foul the gear train.

Surgery was needed, fireman had his feet removed but the driver had one leg, the other foot removed and some butt cheek reduction to ensure he cleared the cogs.

He’s still smiling though.....

IMG_1360.jpg.e384ca10e738e3b7115a09c9e6ceaf67.jpg

Edited by KNP
  • Like 12
  • Funny 4