Little Muddle

KNP

20 minutes ago, KNP said:

Thanks chaps for the advice on Liquid Lead.

What is the time span for this expansion?

I was planning to use UHU with a coat of PVA over the top to seal.

Might revert back to the normal lead flashing as I have metres of the stuff left over from some building work.

It looked such a good idea (at the time!) as there is limited space under the wagon.

I would suggest the expansion rate or time-frame is irrelevant, you don't want it

to happen at all, ever!

So gluing with UHU would be fine, although I find super-glue (£ shops) works well,

then, if you still feel the need to 'seal' it, use enamel (not acrylic) paint.

Lead flashing, cut and shaped to fit, will be heavier, mainly because there will be no

air gaps that you get with shot, so should be better. Also easier to glue with CA.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KNP said:

Might revert back to the normal lead flashing as I have metres of the stuff left over from some building work.

It looked such a good idea (at the time!) as there is limited space under the wagon.

Try a magnet near it, the stuff I have is steel/iron so no problem with PVA, it even has 'Non Toxic' on the bottle. 

• Informative/Useful 4

I'd be a bit hacked off to pay for liquid lead and get something ferrous! 

Lead is relatively pricy stuff, (~£3.50/kg)  iron shot is cheap enough (< £1/kg) to throw away after shotblasting! 

And the lead is 11.3 g/cm3 compared with about 8 for ferrous materials.  Both less in shot form as JCM noted above, due to the gaps; For equal spheres in three dimensions, the densest packing uses approximately 74% of the volume. A random packing of equal spheres generally has a density around 64%. (Wikipedia) so lead shot will give you about the same weight as a piece of steel milled to fit the same volume exactly.

atb

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, KNP said:

Hi Kevin

It took about 15 years from the date of construction for it to become obvious that something was badly wrong with this DMR kit-built SR Z class; neither I nor the builder was aware back in 2002 that PVA & lead shot were a problem - but we certainly are now!

y SJPP703000402180703.jpg.1fd1aa095ca1c2c3d8d50b693ae9de6c.jpg

SJPP703000702180703.jpg.638f71b88a6b867e25d6d0fd23c0c47b.jpg

I got the smoke box door off and managed to rake out most of the shot, then soaked the whole body in water for 24 hours to loosed what was left. Luckily for me, my builder was happy to re-fix the boiler  and the loco is now back in the operating fleet loaded with fresh lead shot, sealed in with araldite.

SJPP703000802180703.jpg.a3f9f6fb49058f2d4a5c986ee28724e1.jpg

For info, I have also used superglue within kit-built plastic-bodeied wagons to hold lead shot in place; so far it seems ok!

SJPPC16001902181216.jpg.4da73a1afe042f542bf849f25810bc36.jpg

Tony

Edited by Tony Teague
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

I quite like your out-of-focus shots, actually. The hegderow is in focus and, if I look at that, then the rest of the scene is as out of focus as my eyesight would see it in real life.

Edited by Mick Bonwick
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

The only problem I have with your out of focus shots is the large running in board that (to me at any rate!) leaps out of the page!

As has been remarked before, we don't all notice the same things and a good job to!

Perhaps a retake from a slightly different angle is in order?

Sorry, must be in a picky mood today, better not put up any of my photo efforts!!

Cheers

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Tony Teague said:

Hi Kevin

It took about 15 years from the date of construction for it to become obvious that something was badly wrong with this DMR kit-built SR Z class; neither I nor the builder was aware back in 2002 that PVA & lead shot were a problem - but we certainly are now!

y SJPP703000402180703.jpg.1fd1aa095ca1c2c3d8d50b693ae9de6c.jpg

SJPP703000702180703.jpg.638f71b88a6b867e25d6d0fd23c0c47b.jpg

I got the smoke box door off and managed to rake out most of the shot, then soaked the whole body in water for 24 hours to loosed what was left. Luckily for me, my builder was happy to re-fix the boiler  and the loco is now back in the operating fleet loaded with fresh lead shot, sealed in with araldite.

SJPP703000802180703.jpg.a3f9f6fb49058f2d4a5c986ee28724e1.jpg

For info, I have also used superglue within kit-built plastic-bodeied wagons to hold lead shot in place; so far it seems ok!

SJPPC16001902181216.jpg.4da73a1afe042f542bf849f25810bc36.jpg

Tony

Wow, my saving grace would be it's open on the bottom so taking the passage of least resistance it would move downwards - hopefully

If I use this stuff then UHU, superglue or a 6" nail bent to hold it all in will be used.....!

EDIT

I am joking about the nail......

Edited by KNP
  • Like 3
  • Funny 2

Time span:  years.  

I guess it depends how tightly the space is filled, and humidity, temperature, etc.  

There’s lots of info about it, I guess on here, and the www.  I believe it’s a lead-acetate reaction, but can’t recall the details.

uhu should be fine.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

The attraction of the Liquid Lead/PVA combination is that it is very easy to handle and does not give off nasty odours (some of us model in a domestic environment where glue smells are not tolerated but nail polish is...).  Even very dilute PVA is effective in this application, and so long as it can ‘breathe’ and the ballast has somewhere to go if it wants to expand, should not cause a problem.  I’d check on it now and then, though!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The attraction of the Liquid Lead/PVA combination is that it is very easy to handle and does not give off nasty odours (some of us model in a domestic environment where glue smells are not tolerated but nail polish is...).  Even very dilute PVA is effective in this application, and so long as it can ‘breathe’ and the ballast has somewhere to go if it wants to expand, should not cause a problem.  I’d check on it now and then, though!

So are you saying that you have tried it with nail polish?

Might one ask what colour?

• Like 1
  • Funny 10

1 hour ago, Mick Bonwick said:

You must either be a contortionist or have a very clever tripod. I can't imagine how you would get into that position to take that shot. Or did you employ a certain aviator?

I have an extension piece to my boom.....

I do have to wait a bit for it to steady as it does bounce with the camera on the end!!!

ohh err missus

:chok_mini:

Edited by KNP
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

17 minutes ago, KNP said:

In order to get you the pictures I am pushing the envelope!

The tripod is just beyond stable so is leaning slightly on the back scene.

This is where remote control from the iPhone is at its most useful

CF755DAF-AFE8-4013-9DE8-FD202024F3A2.jpeg.1d6858668876bbe5c36518dfb70de64d.jpeg

The things I do for you lot?!?!?

War of the Worlds comes to little Muddle ....... :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, KNP said:

In order to get you the pictures I am pushing the envelope!

Oh the white knuckle ride of railway modelling :superman:

Keep them coming though as its fascinating to see all the angles and makes me think more about scenes and cameo's I may have in the future. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2