Little Muddle

KNP

17 hours ago, KNP said:

Utilising the fact the model is sitting on the dining room table with bright light streaming in through the window (now the rain has stopped) I was able to play with shadows on the shoe shop.

E9F46FC7-C52E-4C3C-A20C-7D6FEC8E9B32.jpeg.224419ebecbab034db4037bc4486238b.jpeg

That is a brilliant scene, and modelling.  Love the shop signage.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I particularly like the wooden columns that frame the frontage, really typical of Victorian grandeur that was applied to buildings that were otherwise quite plain. It's very convincing and well observed.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Dad! Dad ! I can see a red plane with three wings !

Don't be daft, lad, it's not possible - no one has invented time travel yet...

rb.png.fc8b6a64973e84eb9cb23f0594bb8bbc.png

With the arrival of Manfred von Richthofen AKA ‘The Red Baron’ on the scene, our intrepid Sqn Ldr may need reinforcements, perhaps this fighter ace might answer the call:

98B1773A-E13D-4EF3-9E26-148823BF2666.jpeg.a2c86b8078a19f29951f7bffe0fbfbff.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

The attention to detail on those two shops is amazing. Taking that much trouble for something at the front of/in a prominent position on a layout I can understand, but for buildings 'tucked away at the back' (and sideways) it's even more admirable... Jolly good show!

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Gopher said:

That is a brilliant scene, and modelling.  Love the shop signage.  

I am sure you have already explained somewhere on this thread (sorry too lazy to look) - but how did you produce the shop signage ?  Is it printed on card ? It has that wonderful aged look, and very realistic font.   Thanks    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Gopher said:

I am sure you have already explained somewhere on this thread (sorry too lazy to look) - but how did you produce the shop signage ?  Is it printed on card ? It has that wonderful aged look, and very realistic font.   Thanks    

Probably hand-painted by the sweat of his brow and the light of the silvery moon...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, KNP said:

Gopher.

The shop front and interior was meant to be in the BRM last year but never saw the light of day.

Printed on Matt 110 gsm (very thin) photo quality inkjet paper but the shop sign is designed at 100% (the basic size) but then due to monitors/printers not always viewing the same size I also include some larger and smaller stepped sizes so I can adjust accordingly to fit the model.

The font is Goudy (1925) and Engraver (1924).

This is then glued in place with Roket card glue and then sealed with matt varnish.

Here are a few pictures from that article

IMG_0699.JPG.cc04673a7ba7172ef36460e3933bba18.JPG

d.jpg.f82061a4406786a708b736d48f276549.jpg

CF3.jpg.01c79013b701c5b2cab45a08a8c5c5b5.jpg

The shop front itself is a mixture of card, plastic strip and plastic sheet.

The wording was from an actual shop front I found on the internet from the 1930's.

This how I make any sign with a frame, I never try to cut the frame out but do it like this...

IMG_0889.JPG.0ce8694420e5dacee2d96762bf1a3e42.JPG

IMG_0890.JPG.d04ec5966b0ba56c08f6343d6a0c8015.JPG

IMG_0891.JPG.32346646ed112a4de11bf86bd7fa6f12.JPG

Hope this helps....

Thanks Kevin - that is a huge help.  The results are fantastic.  Thanks so much for explaining .  I envisaged a miniature sign writer somewhere on your excellent layout.  

Gopher 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Stunning shot as always Kevin, so much depth to the composition.:good:

Thanks

Good to have you back online...

Garages works seem to be proceeding well.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Adopt Mr Bean type nasal tones........

" In March 1895 the GWR introduced a wider rainstrip  on the U4  coaches, moving to a width of 2 and a half inches from 2 and a quarter. At the same time they altered the thread on the screws holding the rain strips on to a coarser thread............." 

Aaaasctually....... I think you'll find, that only applies to coaches BUILT at Swindon, U4's that were overhauled at Wolverhampton were fitted with an experimental rolled copper sheet gutter which lasted until 1904 and coach number.......

I love it when such conversation turns into some form of intellectual p***ing contest.

Every special interest group does it somewhere along the line, even mainstream types like football fans can bore for England.

Or is that. Ing Ger Lund?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

So if Britannia's is a shoe retailer & repairer, what goes on in the rather large shed behind the shop?

Typically,  PC Dibble is looking the wrong way again, people's suspicions will be aroused. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

So if Britannia's is a shoe retailer & repairer, what goes on in the rather large shed behind the shop?

Typically,  PC Dibble is looking the wrong way again, people's suspicions will be aroused. 

Storage facilities

• Friendly/supportive 1