Little Muddle

KNP

It looks great from here. Making matching pairs of anything from scratch at full size is often a P.I.T.A. (especially when you forget what you are doing and make two for the same side!) so I think you need to give yourself a pat on the back for doing it in miniature.

I have just made these mudguard braces from an illustration in an old parts catalogue. I knew they were 1" wide and 1/8" thick. It was then a case of measuring the gap between the bolt holes that they pick up on. They look nothing, but with shaping, drilling, bending and painting, there's a good two hours work involved. Not to mention suitably industrial language.

WP_20200619_17_51_39_Pro.jpg

• Thanks 1

I trust the cattle wagons are an empty stock working!

(I believe it was a standing instruction that if laden, they were to be marshalled next to the engine to reduce the to-and-fro effect on the cattle - I have no idea where the rule is to be found, I'd have to go looking)

atb

Simon

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Simond said:

(I believe it was a standing instruction that if laden, they were to be marshalled next to the engine to reduce the to-and-fro effect on the cattle - I have no idea where the rule is to be found, I'd have to go looking)

atb

Simon

"They would generally be found together at the locomotive end as this meant the loco could take them directly to the cattle dock on arrival where the animals could be fed and watered. Also, as cattle wagons were often fitted with vacuum brakes, marshalling them at the head of the train, whether full or empty, meant their brakes could be used."

Extract from http://www.igg.org.uk/gansg/7-fops/fo-cattle.htm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KNP said:

Transfers applied though I had to use GW from my Pressfix range as the ones supplied where of the large variety and not the smaller ones shown on the instructions as they weren't included - how odd!

Kevin

I just made a Peco Parkside GWR Bloater van and the kit was missing the buffers, so maybe there are some teething problems with packing the kits which are new to Peco?

To be fair I mailed Peco and they missing bits were mailed to me without question, and within 48 hours.

Tony

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

29 minutes ago, Tony Teague said:

Kevin

I just made a Peco Parkside GWR Bloater van and the kit was missing the buffers, so maybe there are some teething problems with packing the kits which are new to Peco?

To be fair I mailed Peco and they missing bits were mailed to me without question, and within 48 hours.

Tony

Might be but the transfer sheet didn’t even have the space for mid sized GW letters but the instructions clearly showed them. Saying I have just noticed other bits missing from the transfer sheet as well. 
I might be wrong here but I don’t they originally came with transfers and this is a new Peco addition.

They need to check that what’s shown on the instructions is included on the transfer sheet.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, KNP said:

Might be but the transfer sheet didn’t even have the space for mid sized GW letters but the instructions clearly showed them. Saying I have just noticed other bits missing from the transfer sheet as well. 
I might be wrong here but I don’t they originally came with transfers and this is a new Peco addition.

They need to check that what’s shown on the instructions is included on the transfer sheet.

Kevin

You are right, as Parkside Dundas they did not include transfers.

Tony

• Agree 4

8 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Kevin

Tony

I do like peco fir this I have had parts missing  and they  just sent it out  with it any questions

Edited by darren chpamn
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

18 hours ago, Simond said:

atb

Simon

Stubby’s comment and reference are clearly relevant and practical, but they were not what I was looking for.  I dug out my 1904 reprint rule book and found paragraphs 210 which required guards to ensure the doors were properly closed ( ! )  and that they told someone if an animal were unwell or dead.  And to shunt gently.

my 1950/1962 version gives similar wording in rule 171, and prohibits loose shunting of livestock in rule 110.

Either I’m dreaming, or there must be some other publication.

atb

Simon

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold

Kevin

One of the highlights of Little Muddle for me is the detailed way in which you paint your 'little people'.

As I am about to start on a batch of Modelu people, could you perhaps outline your particular approach to this topic, what paints you use, etc?

Many thanks

Tony

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Kevin

One of the highlights of Little Muddle for me is the detailed way in which you paint your 'little people'.

As I am about to start on a batch of Modelu people, could you perhaps outline your particular approach to this topic, what paints you use, etc?

Many thanks

Tony

PM sent.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

Kevin

Many thanks

Tony

I second that it would be interesting  to find out how you get such great results  

• Agree 2