Little Muddle

KNP

1 hour ago, Mick Bonwick said:

**** Modelling Alert ****

Have you documented the build of this, Kevin? It's really rather good! Did it originate as Scalescenes textures?

**** End of modelling alert ****

You know I can’t remember.

The building/shop adjoining I did for the BRM Aug 19 but I will have to look in my building folders.....!

The paper is from Scale Model Scenery Victorian Brick.

I have looked through my Cathcott Field development file??? and I have some but not enough to do a full build article on it.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Here's a chance for somebody to demonstrate their superior knowledge. What on Earth is a NCU and what is its purpose?

Non Common User, vehicle to be returned to the owning company at the earliest opportunity. These vehicles were not part of the Common User pool.

Edited by Siberian Snooper
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Here's a chance for somebody to demonstrate their superior knowledge. What on Earth is a NCU and what is its purpose?

Armed with my GWR goods wagon book now I know....

It is the Not Common User plate carried on goods wagons signifying that these where for use by the GWR and no one else.

From what I can glean this applied to most of the vacuum fitted ones only.

It is a black plate, in model form a painted back rectangle, with white writing on the lower right hand side by the corner post.

The normal wording was

Return to

GWR

Not Common User

The top and bottom lines where in a curve, which I can't do on this.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Round of applause 1

Off they go

3010.jpg.b549a5c0f25fe36982bf00b5df9d9f05.jpg

And yes, because I was doing these on a production line basis I did both wagons with the NCU plate in the wrong place.

Wagon no 2 is correct and wagons 1 & 3 are not but rest assured so soon as I saw these pictures I realised what I had done and they have been re-sited. 

Edited by KNP
  • Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2

12 ton ventilated wagon No.123330 Goods Van to Diagram V24 of Lot 1126 code Mink A built around 1933/4

Standing in the siding waiting to commence work

P1140554.JPG.d2bcf58650228672a8f78d9063e27ccb.JPG

P1140555.JPG.cc0fcf1cb8f152f39e7d25a4f3c5c25e.JPG

• Like 19

49 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

? Spot the difference. -   you must have spent ages reproducing the exact position!  

I know...

I know......

Can I..

Can I.....

Can I say....

No?

Oh....you spoilsport!

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The van might be in almost the same position, but the camera isn't. And, I'm sure the gentleman reading the newspaper has turned over to the next page, but I can't be absolutely sure about that because I'm wearing my reading glasses not my long distance ones.

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

11 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

The van has been turned aound: the grease on the nearest buffer is different and the S&W hook is higher in pic 2

Correct.

But more importantly it only has brake shoes/lever on side side!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

Been messing about on Affinity.

Cropped, turned to monochrome, added a bit of noise and a lot of playing with the lighting tool.

Came up with this?

1970409604_3005(2).jpg.dcdf0792f827b44ec1316bf0e2a8647b.jpg

Edited by KNP
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

I think "our" time frame of 1930's GWR a black and white photo always looks the part. I wouldn't say better, just looks the part. Does that make sense?

I also think I need another superlative, rather than "looks lovely" !

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KNP said:

Been messing about on Affinity.

Cropped, turned to monochrome, added a bit of noise and a lot of playing with the lighting tool.

Came up with this?

1970409604_3005(2).jpg.dcdf0792f827b44ec1316bf0e2a8647b.jpg

Still been photo-bombed by a red cow though...

• Agree 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Question for you......

Do I fix this door back in place or model it off with broken hinges?

3014.jpg.86671549215931eca7feb5d94ac173d9.jpg

It’s sort of growing on me off!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

23 minutes ago, KNP said:

Question for you......

Do I fix this door back in place or model it off with broken hinges?

3014.jpg.904c7d9ccd74378c36b74665c983a4e2.jpg

It’s sort of growing on me off!

Well as the model is really the quintessential captured moment in time display, then the fact that door is off its hinges fits with that. However for the neat freaks it represents a hint of imperfection in the scene. So I'd say that you are damned if you do and damned if you don't, and after all, it's your toy train. 

Personally I see nothing wrong with a door being off its hinges in such a working environment - things were generally much like that in the less than adequately funded realm of branch lines. Money might be found to make sure the latest Kings were bright and shiny as that's good for the GWR's image but who's going to fuss about a momentary minor problem at an engine shed out the back of beyond.

And of course it gives us, your always supportive audience, something to snigger about :D 

You could always liven it up by placing a couple of figures with tools in hand gazing at it and scratching their heads. Mind you you've managed to get away with that approach to the crate on the back of the lorry. 

Frankly I'd worry more about that photobombing cow, she's obviously got a grievance .......  ;)     

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Malcolm 0-6-0 said:

Well as the model is really the quintessential captured moment in time display, then the fact that door is off its hinges fits with that. However for the neat freaks it represents a hint of imperfection in the scene. So I'd say that you are damned if you do and damned if you don't, and after all, it's your toy train. 

Personally I see nothing wrong with a door being off its hinges in such a working environment - things were generally much like that in the less than adequately funded realm of branch lines. Money might be found to make sure the latest Kings were bright and shiny as that's good for the GWR's image but who's going to fuss about a momentary minor problem at an engine shed out the back of beyond.

And of course it gives us, your always supportive audience, something to snigger about :D 

You could always liven it up by placing a couple of figures with tools in hand gazing at it and scratching their heads. Mind you you've managed to get away with that approach to the crate on the back of the lorry. 

Frankly I'd worry more about that photobombing cow, she's obviously got a grievance .......  ;)     

I hope you are not suggesting that the cow had something to do with it? :-)

She only went on the line for some fresh daisies. lol

• Like 4
  • Agree 1