Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, KNP said:

When is a door not a door.......

When its ajar.

This is not off topic, because you started it!

Younger brother was being coached by a family friend in the telling of jokes. He was taught the door and jar one and then the "What do you call three holes in the ground?" one. Assembled family awaited the side-splitting moment and younger brother asked, "When is a door not a door?" Family pretended not to know the answer and the response was, "Well, well, well."

Younger brother is not allowed to forget that!

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

1 hour ago, KNP said:

Oh dear, looks like Duncan Bisskitts has fallen over and the fence is supporting him?

Perhaps it has been windy ...

Edited by aardvark
added quote for context
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

Talk of bad jokes, drinking, rugby and not being allowed to forget embarrassing moments reminds me of a night out in sunny Newcastle Emlyn some years ago. Assembled in the pub, ready to shout at the television in fine tradition, my mate's petite but ample bosomed girlfriend had turned up in a Wales rugby shirt. Across the aforementioned ample  in big white capitals was the name of the national team's sponsor - BRAINS.

She wasn't allowed to forget that either.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Talk of bad jokes, drinking, rugby and not being allowed to forget embarrassing moments reminds me of a night out in sunny Newcastle Emlyn some years ago. Assembled in the pub, ready to shout at the television in fine tradition, my mate's petite but ample bosomed girlfriend had turned up in a Wales rugby shirt. Across the aforementioned ample  in big white capitals was the name of the national team's sponsor - BRAINS.

Could've been worse. She could've been wearing sponsored shorts.

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

My late first wife Deb was very substantially endowed, and really hated the things, not least because men often struggled to look her in the eye. But sometimes she would rise to the challenge and wear something suitable. Two come to mind (errr...). First was a teeshirt sold by a group preserving a GWR 28xx loco, which said "Heavy Freight" in the affected area. Then there was a tee sold, I think, by a posh restaurant in SW London. This had braille characters, as well as "This tee-shirt is in braille - please read gently".

Very many years ago I was vaguely acquainted with a generously endowed lady who regularly wore a tee shirt with a picture of a pair of working narrow boats on it.  Underneath was the legend "A Traditional Pair"

Back to shed doors.

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Funny 6

3 hours ago, KNP said:

So the workmen and other odds and ends have turned up.....

Might get this door rehung in a couple of days!!!!

You'll be lucky given the rate the rest of the workforce seem to work at! :lol:

• Agree 4
  • Funny 2

I am looking forward to seeing the shed door project develop. 

Further to the earlier subject of conversation:

Do you know the connection between breasts and model trains?

Both were created with children in mind but more often played with by men.

I'll get me coat...

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 10

That is looking absolutely great, a scene that just appears natural. It's taken me until now (Because according to SWMBO, I am over educated and as a result can be a bit dim) to realise that your layout shares it's inspiration with mine. Shipston on Stour I presume? Except that I don't have a mainline junction and the track keeps going past the station building in my case, over a level crossing and disappears offstage behind the station masters house. That being the direction towards the junction with the main line. In the opposite direction, it crosses a mill leat and a river before going offstage through a wooded cutting. The theory being that it passes through two smaller stations, following the river to a terminus on a cramped site between the river and a steep hill, hence no room for loco facilities. 

I'm probably applying rule 1, 2 and 3!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That is looking absolutely great, a scene that just appears natural. It's taken me until now (Because according to SWMBO, I am over educated and as a result can be a bit dim) to realise that your layout shares it's inspiration with mine. Shipston on Stour I presume? Except that I don't have a mainline junction and the track keeps going past the station building in my case, over a level crossing and disappears offstage behind the station masters house. That being the direction towards the junction with the main line. In the opposite direction, it crosses a mill leat and a river before going offstage through a wooded cutting. The theory being that it passes through two smaller stations, following the river to a terminus on a cramped site between the river and a steep hill, hence no room for loco facilities. 

I'm probably applying rule 1, 2 and 3!

Correct, it is based on a truncated version (lengthwise).

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, KNP said:

Correct, it is based on a truncated version (lengthwise).

It just works as a model doesn't it? Ticks quite a few of the "nice to have" boxes without looking contrived. I really like the big tin goods shed, but didn't use it, because it is much more suitable for a terminus. I have a simple wooden shed and (as per Shipston) a couple of wrecked vans as lockups. I considered the brick shed at Culkerton, (which shares it's station building design with Shipston but that dominated the scene also. I haven't got the station building made yet. I'm not sure what I want other than a timber building!

• Friendly/supportive 1

8 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It just works as a model doesn't it? Ticks quite a few of the "nice to have" boxes without looking contrived. I really like the big tin goods shed, but didn't use it, because it is much more suitable for a terminus. I have a simple wooden shed and (as per Shipston) a couple of wrecked vans as lockups. I considered the brick shed at Culkerton, (which shares it's station building design with Shipston but that dominated the scene also. I haven't got the station building made yet. I'm not sure what I want other than a timber building!

Agree, I spent ages working on a design before I stumbled on this set up.

Like you it ticked all the boxes.

The station building is based on S-o-S made from plasticard, micro strip and Wills slate roofing.....took a while!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 20/08/2020 at 09:43, MrWolf said:

Elaine Harris, a girl I went to school with, and over the pub after '61 Club', a 6th form debating society on Friday nights, along with most of the 6th form, and a young lady of not unreasonable endowment in that sense, used to stuff tissues down there as a handy place to keep them despite ribbing about 'packing them out'.  There she was, in the lounge of the Maindy, fumbling around first in one and then in the other, until conversation died down and she became aware that everybody in the room was looking at her.  What followed was pure Elaine magic.  She composed herself very credibly, stared us down, and declaimed with due forthricity in a tone that was intended to self justify her action and blame us for staring 'I put two clean ones in there earlier, but I can't find either of them now'!

Brought the house down, of course, and to her credit she stood her ground, but not her round...

For the rest of her life she's been asked if they're both in there.

Another one of Elaine's was on a warm day when she told us that she shouldn't have come out with her big sweaty floppers.  I liked her.

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 6

I love a good put down, especially when delivered by a woman who you wouldn't expect it from. 

About 20 years ago I attended a garden party with a friend at her boss's house. 

The usual small talk got around to her accent and surname and the boss's rather holier than thou university lecturer wife asked my friend where was she from? My friend replied that although she was from rural north Essex her grandparents were German. 

Boss's wife was rather sloshed at this point and asked: "So was grandpa an immigrant or a prisoner of war?"

My friend looked her square in the eyes, smiled and replied: "2nd SS Panzer Division..."

Cue awkward silence!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1