Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold

A thank you for posting that helpful series of pictures.  Maybe it’s worth it’s own thread- it might attract some potential builders!  

Now we can see all the jib parts I wonder how many men were needed to hold all the jib straps up while the pins were repositioned in the jib raising process!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Pannier 8725 seen heading towards LM with a short works train including a crane, earlier today so we tried to catch sight of it and get a picture.

Tricky, lot of security around with large dogs.

Got a snap.

Sorry for the quality of this picture but it was a bit rushed hence dark, focus issues, graininess and a slight blur.....!

IMG_2205c.jpg.af27fdd8edec052006a03c43d58e006b.jpg

Anybody would think it was done on purpose......noooo!

Edited by KNP
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

You can't leave anything lying around these days and, by the looks of it, nor in them days. Some blighter's nicked the crane just when they were about to use it to fix the shed door.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, KNP said:

3164.jpg

Hi Kevin - may I raise a point of order?

I note that goods trains arriving at LM seem to use the run round loop.

However, intuitively, I would expect that, in the absence of another train, the

signalman would route it into the platform. Thereby giving it the use of the

most commodious line, as he wouldn't necessarily know the loading. And

in signalling terms, I suspect, it would be the primary route as per the design.

Quite possibly involving fewer levers to work.

Might I invite discussion, from those who KNOW?

All the best.

TONY

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Mulgabill said:

Hi Kevin - may I raise a point of order?

I note that goods trains arriving at LM seem to use the run round loop.

However, intuitively, I would expect that, in the absence of another train, the

signalman would route it into the platform. Thereby giving it the use of the

most commodious line, as he wouldn't necessarily know the loading. And

in signalling terms, I suspect, it would be the primary route as per the design.

Quite possibly involving fewer levers to work.

Might I invite discussion, from those who KNOW?

All the best.

TONY

I suspect you are right. Signalmen, like every other race on Earth, prefer to do things the easy way - where that is within the rules, of course. We, as modellers, tend to segregate freight and passenger trains in our station designs, so a string of wagons in the platform may look wrong to us, but the prototype saw no such distinction as long as the WTT could be met. And I would suspect the signalman might have been told how many wagons were on the freight well before he accepted it. Local railway operation, in the days when staff were still numerous, throve on information being passed by omnibus telephones, making everyone's working life easier. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

where that is within the rules, of course.

At least when the gaffer’s about!  Mind you, in LM days the stationmaster was the gaffer and was on site.

Paul.

• Agree 3

On 04/10/2020 at 14:31, KNP said:

Talking of the engine shed....

Workmen now fixed in place.

One change, turned the chap leaning on the door to face the other way as it gave him a sort of disinterested feel whilst reading his paper..

D79C2DB6-7CED-473E-AF67-63C546BD2F9C.jpeg.4ef96c6b258c4a0b1416112a8f5903dc.jpeg

Now to sort out part 2 of this scenario?

Hi Kevin, great scene here, thanks for sharing it.  Regarding the chap with the newspaper/documentation... did you print out a tiny image like you did with the chap on the back of the truck, or did you just waft some colour onto the part to give the impression?  I'm interested to learn if the mini-printer job is worth the effort, as I'd need to buy a whole set of cartridges for my normally unused printer.  Alternatively, I could nip over the the local stationary/print shop but they'd probably think it was a bit odd, asking for a tiny image on an A4 sheet.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MoonMonkey said:

Hi Kevin, great scene here, thanks for sharing it.  Regarding the chap with the newspaper/documentation... did you print out a tiny image like you did with the chap on the back of the truck, or did you just waft some colour onto the part to give the impression?  I'm interested to learn if the mini-printer job is worth the effort, as I'd need to buy a whole set of cartridges for my normally unused printer.  Alternatively, I could nip over the the local stationary/print shop but they'd probably think it was a bit odd, asking for a tiny image on an A4 sheet.  

The newspaper is actually a transfer that was homemade using a copy of an actual one I found online for 1938.

This was then, using a desktop publisher, reduced in size to fit and then printed onto clear decal paper.

I use a HP6520 printer which prints onto the decal paper, when dry it is sealed with 3 coats of varnish (Dullcote in my case) and when dry removed by soaking in water and applied to the model.

• Informative/Useful 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

2 hours ago, KNP said:

The newspaper is actually a transfer that was homemade using a copy of an actual one I found online for 1938.

This was then, using a desktop publisher, reduced in size to fit and then printed onto clear decal paper.

I use a HP6520 printer which prints onto the decal paper, when dry it is sealed with 3 coats of varnish (Dullcote in my case) and when dry removed by soaking in water and applied to the model.

Thank you Kevin, much appreciated.  I will look into the decal printer paper and go from there.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That crane looks at home in such a short train. I guess it would have been used to unload a container from a flat..... or maybe a boat etc.

At Henley, there was a 6 ton yard crane and a picture of a boat sat on the ground next to it, bound for the Thames no doubt.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Ponthir28 said:

Nice see traction engine back still on its way to little Muddle?

Yes, it sort of reappeared yesterday, I am adamant in was in the Goods Yard when I was setting up the camera!!! 

Then looking through the lens via the iPhone it was there?

I expect it was something to do with lens refraction and the fact I had the camera hanging upside down from the tripod that caused it to appear on the lane.......

• Like 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1