Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold
On 14/11/2020 at 09:26, KNP said:

Just ambling along the quay, taking in the sights.

3225.jpg.8b8beaed98dd9f38c3e5da71354cc76e.jpg

:O 

One of my favourites yet Kevin. Clutter isn't easy to get right, I find. Brilliant. 

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I favour some seaweed, like fallen leaves, it gets into corners and loiters. If not a seagull, maybe a duck or two, feeding on the weed? 

If you fancy a boat, I'd suggest anything too decrepit would have been removed by the Harbourmaster. But a working craft showing the signs of a hard life? I reckon that would fit. One problem is most of the candidates are full hulls. Harburn do a pair of waterline rowing boats but I don't think they'd be up to your standards. I've used this Zvesda plastic kit for myself and others a fair few times, it's readily adaptable but I haven't tried cutting it to a waterline model (yet?). 

8 beach.JPG

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

9 hours ago, Mikkel said:

:O 

One of my favourites yet Kevin. Clutter isn't easy to get right, I find. Brilliant. 

Thanks

It is difficult to organise a pile of disorganised clutter as if you are not careful you eventually end up with a pile of organised clutter that's meant to be disorganised.

That took ages to arrange, it was set out loosely at first and once happy, area photographed so I didn't loose the set up and then each piece individually removed and glued in place.

Might add a bit more especially under the crane arm as it looks a bit bare.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

I favour some seaweed, like fallen leaves, it gets into corners and loiters. If not a seagull, maybe a duck or two, feeding on the weed? 

If you fancy a boat, I'd suggest anything too decrepit would have been removed by the Harbourmaster. But a working craft showing the signs of a hard life? I reckon that would fit. One problem is most of the candidates are full hulls. Harburn do a pair of waterline rowing boats but I don't think they'd be up to your standards. I've used this Zvesda plastic kit for myself and others a fair few times, it's readily adaptable but I haven't tried cutting it to a waterline model (yet?). 

8 beach.JPG

My idea was similar and that was to make it look like the tide had washed seaweed, maybe a small branch, foliage into the edges and don't worry there won't be anything like car tyres, shopping trolleys or bikes in there!

Like the look of those boats....

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KNP said:

The nets I brought many years ago of the internet from a maritime site called Modelling Timbers, they appear to have closed down a while ago but luckily I brought large sheet of the stuff .

The netting looks very similar to the dressmakers' tulle that I bought to make the nets on my Modelzone/Bachmann TPOs. Should be easy enough to find if it is.

• Informative/Useful 2

33 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The galvanized trough outside looks very real, same goes for the grubby window and the timber framing of the workshop. Might I ask what it is built from?

Let’s see if I can remember.

The trough came off a previous layout and was made from a folded business card.

Window was plastic and from the scrap box.

Walls are balsa wood framing and a thin card cut into strips and glued onto thick card to give the lapped effect.

Roof is the well described use of three layers of toilet paper glued onto a card base.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

21 minutes ago, KNP said:

Let’s see if I can remember.

The trough came off a previous layout and was made from a folded business card.

Window was plastic and from the scrap box.

Walls are balsa wood framing and a thin card cut into strips and glued onto thick card to give the lapped effect.

Roof is the well described use of three layers of toilet paper glued onto a card base.

Thanks, that's a pretty comprehensive breakdown!  Luckily for me it would seem that the traditional approach works just fine and I haven't missed too much in the way of developments this last 20 years. I had better get on with mine and hope to come somewhere near your level of creativity.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, Ponthir28 said:

Nobody appears to do any work at Little Muddle. Box to unload, door to be hung. potatoes to harvest, keys to be found?

Life is tranquil and easy....you work at a steady pace....nothing is a rush and everyone has a smile on their face!

Trains run as and when necessary.

Weather always seems dry and sunny (well nearly always)

Almost seems like a model society....

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, KNP said:

Like the look of those boats....

They are good kits. I can't offer the usual disclaimer, as in the days when we used to go to exhibitions, I used to sell some. But I've bought and built a handful myself... In the picture above, the boat on the left is what you get if you follow the instructions and the others are three of my simple adaptions. I did build a small Cornish fishing fleet for a gentleman in Switzerland for his layout using this kit as a base, they had more refinements but I didn't get any pictures, time was pressing. One of these days I hope to build another couple for my own layout, adding mizzens, fishing gear and maybe an engine. Though the last may be heresy, as some inspiration comes from the Beer Lugger which was one of the Channel's finest small fishing boat designs in the latter days of sail and Beer men were renowned as superb sailors. https://www.beer-luggers-club.com/ has some photos of older clinker built boats not too dissimilar to how you can build these kits. 

Most model shops should be able to get them (reference code is 9033), we sourced ours through John Ayreys but I believe other wholesalers are available. PM me if you have any difficulty. 

1 front.JPG

7 assortment.JPG

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

58 minutes ago, KNP said:

Cattle wagons at the end of the siding.

Is that why Alfie's there with his bike?

To get his fresh delivery of meat?

3232.jpg.188c56688e5f9fa1e5b2744051d78852.jpg

He'll need a bigger bike!!!

No, just a length of rope to lead it home! 

• Funny 10