Little Muddle

KNP

2 hours ago, Ponthir28 said:

Property developer looking for a barn conversion. 

I wish I had a £1 for everyone I've inspected over the years, I'd probably be driving a Reliant Van by now Rodders ! 

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

11 minutes ago, KNP said:

Courtyard laid and glueing.

Once dry, refining and painting works will commence and then I shall start on the sheds at the back.

AFBE9E0F-004A-48A1-AFB0-256C6E71D419.jpeg.c4027bcd52744d324579164f29be76eb.jpeg

Hope you've got the gradient right for that drain. Last thing you need is rising damp due to the surface water draining the wrong way.

• Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

Hope you've got the gradient right for that drain. Last thing you need is rising damp due to the surface water draining the wrong way.

Agree, but it does depend which way the module tips!!!

• Funny 5

I don't know. There I am trying to encourage Kevin to maintain his high standards and you lot are all dragging him down. You carry on young Kevin I'm make certain these neerdowells don't interfere with you.

I W B Arnie

Ex Governor of California

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, KNP said:

While the cobbles dry here is a loco...

In my eyes one of the prettiest GWR locos....the

48xx

3442.jpg.90d45356da47075a0cfaa064d72b2e45.jpg

I know there was an awful lot of comments about this DJM/Hattons loco when it first came but my two have run faultlessly from the off and regardless of all that it was one fine model.

It's a shame there weren't more than the 3 steamable ones and the stuffed and mounted 'Tivvy Bummper' one - great engines, steam in a candle...

Edited by John Besley
Spelling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I find it difficult to identify the first photograph as being that of a model. I think that it is the texture of the ground that is so realistic and the only real decider is that tricycle thing. The window frame being rather heavy in relation to the rest of the front view.

That observation is definitely not intended to be a slur on your modelling capabilities, Kevin. In fact, if that van had not been there then I really would have had difficulty in deciding. Absolutely top-notch modelling.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I find it difficult to identify the first photograph as being that of a model. I think that it is the texture of the ground that is so realistic and the only real decider is that tricycle thing. The window frame being rather heavy in relation to the rest of the front view.

That observation is definitely not intended to be a slur on your modelling capabilities, Kevin. In fact, if that van had not been there then I really would have had difficulty in deciding. Absolutely top-notch modelling.

Thanks

That was the thinnest I could paint the tricycle frame as was cast quite thick.

Ground is painted Tremendous earth and sieved play sand. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, KNP said:

Now with all the buildings removed from the RH side of the board this has given me a chance to stand the camera in unusual places.

Those are two awesome photos Kevin.  Beautiful work.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KNP said:

Courtyard update.

cobbles painted and varnished in Matt uv.

gravel area which is my favourite mix of tremendous earth and sieved play sand painted with a mix of grey washes.

left area a bit to rough so worked in a small quantity of dry filler rubbed in with the finger and then wetted to set.

Much more to do but needs to dry.

7F1A3D4B-D683-494F-BE23-3A274B659C67.jpeg.2bee3fdc35a4a7ebe0b987c16c31a9c7.jpeg

needs a lot more distressing.....

One assumes young Kevin that you are referring to said model and not yourself when you say it needs a lot more distressing.

Just out of interest and if you have already explained this then I apologise in advance, but how do you secure the 'diorama' to the rest of the layout. Is it simply dropped in? Or does it fit over a some sort of latch?

• Informative/Useful 1

If you swapped the Reliant van for a big Commer 2 stroke box van in yellow United Carriers livery, that would have been my short cut walking to school when I was about seven. It's very real looking indeed.

3444.jpg.a102ac109ae72797e77e3092c1193c34.jpg.0eb04ed824618bb1042da8fe2fe3c325.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

One assumes young Kevin that you are referring to said model and not yourself when you say it needs a lot more distressing.

Just out of interest and if you have already explained this then I apologise in advance, but how do you secure the 'diorama' to the rest of the layout. Is it simply dropped in? Or does it fit over a some sort of latch?

Just the model

They all just drop in and as a permanent layout it doesn’t need any form of fixing

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

41 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

If you swapped the Reliant van for a big Commer 2 stroke box van in yellow United Carriers livery, that would have been my short cut walking to school when I was about seven. It's very real looking indeed.

3444.jpg.a102ac109ae72797e77e3092c1193c34.jpg.0eb04ed824618bb1042da8fe2fe3c325.jpg

Are you suggesting yet another vehicle, still got the tractor to do.

Got side tracked with this building work.

Every now and then I will take a picture, edit it and sit back and think....got that one right.

This is one of those pictures

• Like 5
  • Agree 7

49 minutes ago, KNP said:

Are you suggesting yet another vehicle, still got the tractor to do.

Got side tracked with this building work.

Absolutely not! That would drag your time period forward to an unacceptable 1978. You would then have to clear the station site and model something like a car breakers yard in its place.

Not good at all

49 minutes ago, KNP said:

Every now and then I will take a picture, edit it and sit back and think....got that one right.

This is one of those pictures

It most certainly is.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

The low angle of that photograph makes those realistic steps very inviting.  Bags of atmosphere, another winner!

I was looking at this area which would make an ideal place for a group of workmen having a fag break!!!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, KNP said:

Courtyard update.

cobbles painted and varnished in Matt uv.

gravel area which is my favourite mix of tremendous earth and sieved play sand painted with a mix of grey washes.

left area a bit to rough so worked in a small quantity of dry filler rubbed in with the finger and then wetted to set.

Much more to do but needs to dry.

needs a lot more distressing.....

How did you do the cobbles?

• Like 1

Just now, John Besley said:

How did you do the cobbles?

Not quite finished in that picture but now they are, will need a coat of Dullcote to dull, but otherwise done.

Would you like me to post up how I did them as I photographed the process, not with a view to post on here but to remind me in the future how I did it.....!

Yes, I have been there before where I do something then ages down the line I can't remember how!!!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4