Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, KNP said:

Work progressing slowly on the.....

no name at present so for future I will refer to it as The Old Pub until a name was forthcoming.

One idea was the Cathcott Arms.....

5D0B3F6B-9BC3-48D9-91DB-7840761CE6BE.jpeg.f1a362351ec37fe648430aa440c21b5a.jpeg

9ECFB33C-3B23-4F80-B233-92B8C1B5B6BC.jpeg.0bc96e0954f685e5e6428778918db453.jpeg

Roof will be plain tile to the garage and asbestos on the store.

Had to add the lower garage roof to give it strength as it was twisting and I didn’t want it to rip.

Upper garage and store roof will be interesting as I have to cut it to follow the back scene curve and on a pitch!!!

Who designed this then?

How did you do the backscene originally?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, KNP said:

Work progressing slowly on the.....

no name at present so for future I will refer to it as The Old Pub until a name was forthcoming.

One idea was the Cathcott Arms.....

It's a bit close to a factory and not close enough to the centre of LM for that. I see the location more as 'The Masons Arms', 'The George', 'The (Black?) Bull' or 'The Blue Boar'. 

If it was closer to the quay, then maybe 'The Ship/Anchor' or 'The Drunken Duck'? 

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Having driven the virtually uncontrollable things, I can tell you that by the time you had lined up to ram a car with a traction engine, the car would be half a mile away.

You can only get the better of parked cars....

With Hornby going to launch The Lion all LM needs is a steam roller and Sid James...

• Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

It's a bit close to a factory and not close enough to the centre of LM for that. I see the location more as 'The Masons Arms', 'The George', 'The (Black?) Bull' or 'The Blue Boar'. 

If it was closer to the quay, then maybe 'The Ship/Anchor' or 'The Drunken Duck'? 

Can’t say I’ve seen many drunken duck pubs. Why not something more traditional like the green Man; white horse; red lion. All of which would have been around way before the railway.

Good luck with the build @KNP

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

On the name of pubs being a former Wethered/Whitbread employee I have rather a lot of knowledge on pub names, usual and unusual ones, 

What will restrict me is the pictorial sign and what picture I can find.

Not really looked yet as I am a long way off on needing to sort a name, no doubt one will come to mind or someone will post something I like.

One thing is certain it would have been there since before the railway arrived so will not be having any reference to that.

Keep your suggestions coming.....

• Like 9

1 hour ago, KNP said:

On the name of pubs being a former Wethered/Whitbread employee I have rather a lot of knowledge on pub names, usual and unusual ones, 

What will restrict me is the pictorial sign and what picture I can find.

Not really looked yet as I am a long way off on needing to sort a name, no doubt one will come to mind or someone will post something I like.

One thing is certain it would have been there since before the railway arrived so will not be having any reference to that.

Keep your suggestions coming.....

Clive Mortimore did one for me for a Pub that George T of this Parish made for Kings Moreton.

The Jolly Bodger.

1695498710_TheJollyBodger..png.287813d8d02ff5e3dc223cd6d81d49b7.png1695498710_TheJollyBodger..png.287813d8d02ff5e3dc223cd6d81d49b7.png

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

There were a few pub-names in Kent that come to mind. The Duke Without A Head commemorated a hunting painting in which the duke was depicted, but he objected, so his head was painted out. The Spyglass and Kettle sign had a chap with a telescope and Rocket. And I have no idea how the pub at Plaxtol came to be called The Rorty Crankle. 

One around Oxford is/was called The Shotover. The sign showed a racehorse that has just refused to take the fence, but the jock has accepted - and is in mid-air!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

On 17/03/2021 at 20:02, John Besley said:

How did you do the backscene originally?

They are paper applied with wallpaper paste onto a 2mm MDF board glued to the wall.

Originally obtained from International Models many years ago that are no longer trading.

I expect they are still available somewhere, this is a picture of the box that I still keep some spare in.

IMG_0040.JPG.8543cebad7ec0f3847ce1c9fd7ea99c2.JPG

The reason I went with this was because I wanted a very tall back scene for photography and this was the only one at the time that was over 450mm tall and extendable.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, KNP said:

They are paper applied with wallpaper paste onto a 2mm MDF board glued to the wall.

Originally obtained from International Models many years ago that are no longer trading.

I expect they are still available somewhere, this is a picture of the box that I still keep some spare in.

I bought an Auhagen "Wolkenstein" backscene a couple of years ago, not long after Sherry and I had visited the real place. We didn't reach Döllnitztal, as in Kevin's pic, on that trip.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

There were a few pub-names in Kent that come to mind. The Duke Without A Head commemorated a hunting painting in which the duke was depicted, but he objected, so his head was painted out. The Spyglass and Kettle sign had a chap with a telescope and Rocket. And I have no idea how the pub at Plaxtol came to be called The Rorty Crankle. 

One around Oxford is/was called The Shotover. The sign showed a racehorse that has just refused to take the fence, but the jock has accepted - and is in mid-air!

Hi Ian, in answer to the Rorty Crankle pub, a nice pub that I used to visit not far from where i used to live. which house also had a pub next door to it which had a bomb dropped on it. All the best Adrian.

http://www.dover-kent.com/2018-Project/Rorty-Crankle-Plaxtol.html

Edited by westerhamstation
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2