Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Sandhole said:

Love the fact you are running a Lima 45xx.
Regards,
Chris.

Apart from the flanges, those of us who don't know just see another prairie. It sits and fits fine with the other two.  

• Agree 6

The Lima 45xx is not one of my best running loco’s probably because it’s been converted from DC to DCC and I had isolate the chassis halves.

Can’t get it to run smooth so I expect now I have 5531 running, very smoothly I might say, 4589 might become one of my motor less photo props.

If I ever need another chip then this is likely the first loco I will raid….

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Came across this picture that I took a few weeks ago, you remember when the sun shone that day, and I stood the model on the patio table and moved it about playing with the shadows!

So I thought I would post it.

P1150813.JPG.797b2859a0ad7b34f206e2206c0f8615.JPG

What this does show is that it is easy to get the vertical tile coursing spacing wrong, look at the first two rows of tiles on the LH garage, LH side.

Luckily its hidden in the corner so can't be seen directly but I was ready with the ivy to cover it.....

Edited by KNP
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Is that tile spacing incorrect? - We were in Dorset (actually Wareham) the other week and commented on exactly what you show on the buildings across the garden from where we were dining. I see no problem!

\Keep delighting us with your modelling - Little Muddle is akin to Arcadia.

Regards

Chris H

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

Is that tile spacing incorrect? - We were in Dorset (actually Wareham) the other week and commented on exactly what you show on the buildings across the garden from where we were dining. I see no problem!

\Keep delighting us with your modelling - Little Muddle is akin to Arcadia.

Regards

Chris H

Are you sure?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcadia,_New_South_Wales

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Tile spacing is not always perfect especially if rather than obtaining 1+1/2 tiles for alternate courses at the verges someone has cut down standard tiles to  make 1/2 tiles.  The gauging (spacing of the laths supporting tile or slates can rather depend on the slope and the local wind speeds. For slates the overlap can be between 2 in and 4in  so for a 20x10 inch slate  the lathes will be 9 to 8 inch apart  as one nears the top of the roof the spacing can be shortened a little to avoid cutting special slates. Tiles vary from the small plain clay (or concrete these days) tiles to the much larger interlocking tiles which don't need so much overlap so the courses are much wider and the vertical ones are in line not staggered. 

Don

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

Well - that is a novelty, I hadn't expected there to be an Australian Arcaadia!

Is it in anyway idyllic? - Or is it all wriggly tin roofs?

Regards

Chris H

There are a number of large-ish properties, some of which have tin roofs (fairly common in Aus) and it is in the bush, so some would regard it as idyllic!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, KNP said:

3686.jpg.a5bf3b231bb3d4964b0377abb0fe9f18.jpg

I am about to start work on grass and weeds at the base of a fence and have a plan of action. There is evidence here that you have previously done the same (!) so I thought I'd ask if you could tell how you did it and what you used. I won't copy you, honest. :sungum:

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I am about to start work on grass and weeds at the base of a fence and have a plan of action. There is evidence here that you have previously done the same (!) so I thought I'd ask if you could tell how you did it and what you used. I won't copy you, honest. :sungum:

Yes, but that's a Great Western fence , grass & weeds.  Not sure it's applicable to the wasteland of Portland.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 4

In reply to a series of requests I have given it due consideration and here is my considered reply.

Starting at the beginning.

Random lengths of random green static grass added in small clumps but not mixed into applicator and then applied randomly. This way I got various shades without to much control of the outcome giving - well random!!!

When dry, scatter rubbed into base of grass and held in place with hair spray, using a darker shade will look like weeds especially against walls.

For the edges against the wall I used some ready made grass tufts of various lengths which I sliced in half and fixed against the building.

Additional bits of small clumps fixed in odd places.

To further enhance the grass effect I applied hairspray to small patches then sprinkled on scatter.

Colours and shades to suit your needs.

Plants are small pieces of sea moss with scatter.

I think that covers most of it, my problem is that most of LM has evolved which includes the scenery so I tend to do the basics, then come back later with other ideas, then again and sometimes again…..then I have to try and remember what I did!!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 2

1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

Much busier looking than the 1:1 version!

gwrss543(0).jpg.c61e355c75fc15a1279cea1d979993e6.jpg

If memory serves this series of pictures was taken just before it closed so might explain why it was closed!

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2