Little Muddle

KNP

You're not wrong, I can't remember the precise mechanics of it, but it is to do with peripheral vision and how the brain "sees" by filling in what you can't physically see. It's what makes forced perspective in paintings or model railway backscenes fool you into thinking that the landscape continues.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Gold

There is also the fact that for a two foot radius curve 1ft in from the baseboard edge If you are a further 1ft from the edge inside the curve the train will be a constant 2ft from you reducing the impression of the curve. If however you are a futher 1ft from the edge on the outside the train will be curving away from you  reinforcing the impresion of the curve.

Added to that there is the benefit that from inside the buffers of adjacent vehicles are closer together while from the outside they will be further apart.

Unfortunately for exhibitions having the viewers inside oval layouts is not very practical.

Don 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

3 minutes ago, Donw said:

There is also the fact that for a two foot radius curve 1ft in from the baseboard edge If you are a further 1ft from the edge inside the curve the train will be a constant 2ft from you reducing the impression of the curve. If however you are a futher 1ft from the edge on the outside the train will be curving away from you  reinforcing the impresion of the curve.

Added to that there is the benefit that from inside the buffers of adjacent vehicles are closer together while from the outside they will be further apart.

Unfortunately for exhibitions having the viewers inside oval layouts is not very practical.

Don 

Agree, but what did was put the track towards the back of the layout so the curve could be partially concealed by the scenery further hiding its appearance.

Its all an illusion……

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

1 hour ago, KNP said:

A loco at rest.....

3693.jpg.5238d70d9536eccdba543ab56ba2226c.jpg

Now I am going to show my age here......

This picture takes me back to listening to the radio as a small child, and to something that I like to think kindled my interest in railways.

It was a set of stories called the adventures of Clara Chuff. Each story started with two children walking along beside the railway and at the end of a siding sat a locomotive. The children say to the engine "Good Afternoon Mister 4050, how are you today?". Not expecting any response they are startled when the engine says "Good Afternoon my dears, would you like to hear a story about the adventures of an engine called Clara Chuff?" ...... and so the story unfolds.

From what I remember Clara gave the yet to be invented "Thomas the Tank Engine", a run for his money in getting into, and finding a way out of railway related scrapes! 

Now I think most likely that 4050 was a yet to be BR numbered LMS 4F, although of course 4050 could be a GWR/WR number......

But enough of my early 1950s nostalgia, we have to get 5531 going on Little Muddle. What duty will she perform next , I wonder?

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

On 01/07/2021 at 14:39, KNP said:

you can make it feel even bigger if you use the wide angle of the iPhone then crop

That plays tricks with the apparent gauge of your tracks.  In your second photo, the mainline looks broad gauge with a converging standard gauge branchline.

Little Muddle wide-angle distortion

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Now I am going to show my age here......

This picture takes me back to listening to the radio as a small child, and to something that I like to think kindled my interest in railways.

It was a set of stories called the adventures of Clara Chuff. Each story started with two children walking along beside the railway and at the end of a siding sat a locomotive. The children say to the engine "Good Afternoon Mister 4050, how are you today?". Not expecting any response they are startled when the engine says "Good Afternoon my dears, would you like to hear a story about the adventures of an engine called Clara Chuff?" ...... and so the story unfolds.

From what I remember Clara gave the yet to be invented "Thomas the Tank Engine", a run for his money in getting into, and finding a way out of railway related scrapes! 

Now I think most likely that 4050 was a yet to be BR numbered LMS 4F, although of course 4050 could be a GWR/WR number......

But enough of my early 1950s nostalgia, we have to get 5531 going on Little Muddle. What duty will she perform next , I wonder?

When the music stops Daphne Oxenford will be here to speak to you again.......

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

When the music stops Daphne Oxenford will be here to speak to you again.......

I remembered that as

"When the music stops Daphne Oxenford will be here to tell you another story"

Strewth I am going back almost 70 years to Listen with Mother which was IIRC at 1:45 p.m.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

23 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Should have been returned. Unfit for purpose.

Just think if he's the first what happened to the rest of the production run? Do you think there's a massive warehouse somewhere filled to the rafters with Stubbys just waiting to be activated? What a thought.

Edited by Winslow Boy
More thought givern.
  • Like 4

That brings up some disturbing images.

irobot.jpg.01797d8937aed6ee9a6737662d4d5a11.jpg

I had to Google Daphne Oxenford. 

The "Are we sitting comfortably children?" phrase has been used so many times, usually when taking the #### out of something, it's become part of our culture.

One of my friends refers to my other half as "Joyce Grenfell with Tourettes."

From a safe distance you understand.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2