Little Muddle

KNP

And very effective it is too. I am very impressed by the precision of construction of these brick paper and card structures, it isn't very easy to get them looking so clean, square and precise.

Glad you like the buildings, thanks

For the brick papers I use light weight print paper 110gsm, score the reverse side with a blunt scriber on the fold line, fold using a small metal ruler and press into place.

Works - most of the time...!

KNP take the photos using the settings to get the depth of field and then use a photo programme to change them. B&W, sepia, colour enhancing can all be done in that way. The sunshine effect probably cannot.

Most photo programmes on tablets, mobiles etc have photo enhancing features

KNP take the photos using the settings to get the depth of field and then use a photo programme to change them. B&W, sepia, colour enhancing can all be done in that way. The sunshine effect probably cannot.

Most photo programmes on tablets, mobiles etc have photo enhancing features

Agreed, but for these pictures I was testing out the camera to see what it could do.

I use either the program embedded in Windows 10 (which is quite good) or I have Serif PhotoPlus X7 (when remember to fire it up....).

Thanks for the comments though

Agreed, but for these pictures I was testing out the camera to see what it could do.

I use either the program embedded in Windows 10 (which is quite good) or I have Serif PhotoPlus X7 (when remember to fire it up....).

Thanks for the comments though

I only suggested it because you said you lost the ability to use normal features, Keep up the good work.

Ah, now this is interesting.

It appears the land behind Little Muddle station is up for re-development as I heard rumoured the other day whilst having a bevy in The Station PH.

No doubt more houses and industry on it's way

Better check into this and see what's a foot (or should it be 304.8mm now)

IMG_2646.JPG.afec0668f97f8487eed06d66201989ef.JPG

Edited by KNP
  • Like 12
  • Funny 1

Found your thread courtesy of a rare pressing of the New Content button. Superb modelling that really captures the feeling of a branchline running through the countryside. The sort of layout that ought to be in MRJ for realistic modelling without the P4 pedantry. Cracking stuff.

Cheers,

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Young

• RMweb Gold

Found your thread courtesy of a rare pressing of the New Content button. Superb modelling that really captures the feeling of a branchline running through the countryside. The sort of layout that ought to be in MRJ for realistic modelling without the P4 pedantry. Cracking stuff.

They do have other gauges apart from P4 in MRJ, and I agree, this layout ought to take top billing.

They do have other gauges apart from P4 in MRJ, and I agree, this layout ought to take top billing.

You are indeed correct Captain, my comment about P4 was said with some flippancy. Whilst some layouts go for correctness of gauge, few succeed in creating the landscape and atmosphere as well as Little Muddle does. This does remind me a lot of one of my favourite articles in MRJ, Phillip Harvey's Freelance Approach in MRJ 63.

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 1

Following on from yesterdays surprise at the land being developed behind the station I thought I better have a closer look.

So I had a word with the Squadron Leader who wheeled out his old Sopwith to carryout a quick aerial recon of the area.

With the joystick held firmly between his knees and finger on his Hasselblad a few shots where taken.  

On his second pass he took a direct down view so I could form a combined picture of the area for planning purposes. He caught a rare glimpse of the railcar in the station as well.

Now to start some planning of what needs to go there......

P1020428.JPG.f68fd980745d0cb57e1d16a6bf35e6d1.JPG

P1020434.JPG.8b246a7ebabc7b414a47eb600ec96639.JPG

Edited by KNP
  • Like 17

On his third pass he spotted some activity in the field so went in for a closer look.

My, this builder is really throwing the recourses at this development....

One labourer, a wheelbarrow and an unpainted dog!

Plus the building seemed to have disappeared.....

P1020487.JPG.01e14adfb03ade154ffe5ccf89c193b1.JPG

Edited by KNP
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

On his third pass he spotted some activity in the field so went in for a closer look.

My, this builder is really throwing the recourses at this development....

One labourer, a wheelbarrow and an unpainted dog!

Plus the building seemed to have disappeared.....

Can we have the name of the District Council which controls Little Muddle in case we need to write to object to this development. This lovely part of Devon must remain unspoilt- only vernacular cardboard is acceptable.

• Like 1

Can we have the name of the District Council which controls Little Muddle in case we need to write to object to this development. This lovely part of Devon must remain unspoilt- only vernacular cardboard is acceptable.

NIMBY ! Yep that's me, I will be lodging a most vociferous campaign against such a development and come out of retirement if needed, as a former Building Control Officer I would condemn any developers work immediately!!!

Cob and straw is what we have here and that's the way it will stay ! :)

SWAMPY

• Like 1

If we're talking Devon I think you need something of a more local vernacular

Cottage and barn to rent ?

post-20303-0-91202100-1490628334_thumb.jpeg

post-20303-0-74193600-1490628361_thumb.jpeg

Yours

C.O.B. Man

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Yours

C.O.B. Man

I like the little barn with the straw hat Devon you say, interesting very interesting.

A Yokell 

Oh, please don't object as I will have nothing to build.

I promise to use only the very best locally sourced cardboard (well e-bay as our local Hobbycraft appears to have stopped doing greyboard when we called in.....!!!) that was Saturday afternoon, went on line that evening and this morning 10 A3 sheets arrived in the post at a fraction of the cost I might add - their loss my gain.

The buildings will be designed to the highest possible standards, construction materials to blend in sympathetically with the local surroundings and the ambience of the locality maintained and enhanced.

I also promise to ensure everyone's thoughts and considerations are taken into account.

I think that was what was missing on the scarecrow. His vernaculars!

Do know what I think I found under the work bench, better stick them back on......

Edited by KNP
  • Like 2

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Yours

C.O.B. Man

All joking aside for the moment that's a very nice building.

I haven't had a go at thatch or cob yet.....hmmm old grey cells whirring now and it'll be down to you if I have to ditch my current ideas!

• Like 1

NIMBY ! Yep that's me, I will be lodging a most vociferous campaign against such a development and come out of retirement if needed, as a former Building Control Officer I would condemn any developers work immediately!!!

Cob and straw is what we have here and that's the way it will stay ! :)

SWAMPY

That'll be interesting as a former Building Surveyor I think I could put up quite a rear guard action - well appear to be as I will keep waffling on then one day post some pictures saying all done........it would then be down to the courts to decide if they have to be demolished.....

Cob and Straw is that the name of your local pub by any chance?

• Like 1

Following on from the aerial photos I was able to produce a semi scale plan to work on.

Little tip if you wish to do something like this on your layout, when taking picture/s lay a ruler somewhere visible. After you print the picture, no matter what size it comes out, the ruler will alter to the same proportion so can be cut out and used to scale off that same picture.

I haven't here as I will be making a full size template of the area to work off.

A few sketches drawn, a full size template made, then altered and finally laid on the layout for checking.

I'm planning to make three separate modules, red line indicates where, as that will make them easier to work on plus still giving me a chance to tweak the next one if it doesn't fit or something.

The next job is to make some draft buildings out of cereal boxes etc.... and see if this gives me the skyline I was after.

I will say that at the moment I'm not happy with the layout (prior to all the recent posts) plus taking the pictures that Bgman (C.O.B. man) posted into consideration this has me going in a completely different route.......!!!

This going to take some research so I'll be a while.....before any building work starts the labourer, wheelbarrow and unpainted dog can go home for now.

P1020429.JPG.915a2e9b9f63e9d402eb8d9e164e3c57.JPG

P1020475.JPG.8f62f0efce9f54cc4bd40b51f3bfaa10.JPG

P1020492.JPG.d1822e4441d84dfec9ff9bf5a8afce18.JPG

Edited by KNP
  • Like 6

Wow, this is really ridiculously realistic :)

Agreed, and I know it sounds daft, but this how I've achieved the design for what became Little Muddle.

Everything planned in advanced, everything designed and drawn up before I start building and even when built if it doesn't look right...it goes. Hence the use of mock ups because they really do work and can save a lot of time and annoyance.

Before the advent of digital cameras I have been known to look through toilet tubes to narrow down the field of vision.

Isn't this Green Belt?

Oh, I forgot! This is 1936-- anything goes!!

Correct

• Like 2

All joking aside for the moment that's a very nice building.

I haven't had a go at thatch or cob yet.....hmmm old grey cells whirring now and it'll be down to you if I have to ditch my current ideas!

The cottage and barn were as a result of a building that I had inspected whilst renovation was being carried out. It had always caught my attention over the years and I wanted to try and model it for some strange reason.

It's made from picture framers card and the roof is plumbers hemp cut into small bundles then small wire staples pushed into a card roof former a la real thing. Not recommended if you are of a nervous disposition ! I must admit though I found it very relaxing whilst doing it.

I spent a time with a local expert when I moved down from Oxfordshire ( Bicester was one of my old stomping grounds but we won't go into that here !) to Devon. He taught me how to make and lay cob and thatch which has stayed with me and very much appreciated.

As for the local pub, nope not the Cob & Thatch sadly !

Keep up the excellent work :)

Grahame

• Like 3