Little Muddle

KNP

Superb modelling. The back of that thatched cottage looks like it has just had a herd of cows walk past, the weathering and staining is most realistic.

Keep up the great work.

Nik

Thanks, I'll pass the comment to bgman.

• RMweb Gold

I'll have to get a copy of that book I think Kevin. I'm OK with my trial and effort attempts but it'd be really nice to see how it's done properly!

Having said that, there was a guy at Ally Pally that models the most amazing buildings and when I showed him my 'toilet roll' rock cutting, he was gobsmacked! 

Every day is a learning day and I'm thankful to people like yourself that can pass on ideas and experience.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I'd have to ask myself one question, "what's a frenchman doing in the field behind the station?"

Edited by BSW01
  • Funny 1

I'll have to get a copy of that book I think Kevin. I'm OK with my trial and effort attempts but it'd be really nice to see how it's done properly!

Having said that, there was a guy at Ally Pally that models the most amazing buildings and when I showed him my 'toilet roll' rock cutting, he was gobsmacked! 

Every day is a learning day and I'm thankful to people like yourself that can pass on ideas and experience.

Cheers

Mike

I think it is still in print but, if memory serves, it must be all of 30 years old now but still very relevant today.

Better patent the cutting idea before it appears everywhere.....

We are never to old to stop learning.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1

I'm worried the wording on the developer's sign comes out to be true!

So am I, that's why I have become heavily involved in the design and construction work.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 1

Worked up a revised plan.

The terraced houses will now be thatch with walls timber framing with brick inserts, a larger and more ornate Victorian house linked by a gate to the adjoining factory complex of building. Using this gate I can now make this house the factories owners property so give it a reason to be there.

The gardens to the houses now have a coal store and privy outbuilding plus more sheds, chicken runs and pigeons lofts.

Getting there so before launching into a build I will make some card mock ups to see if gives me the effect I'm after.

IMG_2648.JPG.be9ce39a35004b7a04a93f9b33736750.JPG

Edited by KNP
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Pigeon lofts ?  In Devon ?

Thatched cottages  (would factory workers' cottages be thatched?)  next to a factory ?

(Sorry, just posing some questions..., not saying you're in any way incorrect in your planning.)

Edited by Stubby47

Pigeon lofts ?  In Devon ?

Thatched cottages  (would factory workers' cottages be thatched?)  next to a factory ?

(Sorry, just posing some questions..., not saying you're in any way incorrect in your planning.)

Well the pigeons will be in hut like structures, think I used the wrong word there to describe.

In my mind the cottages where meant to have been there first so I hadn't envisaged them for the workers.

Still early days in the planning, what I normally do is park an idea for a while until it grows on me, or I have other ideas, then we build. 

I get your point about next to a factory, or cottage industry, or whatever it is.

My next thing was to decide what was manufactured their so I could model the buildings accordingly, at the moment they are just shapes on a plan that I can see in my minds eye giving me the skyline I was looking for.

No problems with questions just gives me more food for thought.

Regards

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Unless people know differently, I'm not sure how common pigeon lofts (correct term) are / were in Devon. It always seems to me to be a more northern pastime.

And having thatched cottages next to a factory chimney was the potential issue - I would agree they could have been there first (hence the reducing size of the gardens) and could well have been for farm workers rather than factory workers.

I think that the sooner the NIMBY council get 'An Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty'  in place the better which will bring into force some very stringent planning laws  :triniti:  By the way did the builder in the field with the wheel barrow have a licence for the unpainted dog ......and that wheelbarrow looks unregistered too :sungum:

• Like 3

I think that the sooner the NIMBY council get 'An Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty'  in place the better which will bring into force some very stringent planning laws  :triniti:  By the way did the builder in the field with the wheel barrow have a licence for the unpainted dog ......and that wheelbarrow looks unregistered too :sungum:

Better get a move on with the building works then before one gets in place!!!!!!

Don't want to get on the front page of the Little Muddle Gazette.

No dog license because he came out of a plastic bag for the picture and now gone back with his mates, anyway who's to say he wasn't a stray that strayed into the picture???

The wheelbarrow was 'borrowed' from the goods yard so it's there problem now as it's back insitu, I'll pass on your comments to the Yard Manager.

• RMweb Gold

Just think that in eighty years time Michael Portillo will waft by Little Muddle on the train. He will explain that it wouldn't have a village community without the arrival of the railway, and point out your yet-you-be-planned village development that was a little too late for Bradshaw's guide!

• Like 2

Just think that in eighty years time Michael Portillo will waft by Little Muddle on the train. He will explain that it wouldn't have a village community without the arrival of the railway, and point out your yet-you-be-planned village development that was a little too late for Bradshaw's guide!

OK then, I'll just have to rely on Chris Tarrant to pass by then on one of his adventures.

Shame, because I could have painted on of my figures in one his bright outfits, I will put the lid back on the orange and light blue paints then.

• RMweb Gold

OK then, I'll just have to rely on Chris Tarrant to pass by then on one of his adventures.

Shame, because I could have painted on of my figures in one his bright outfits, I will put the lid back on the orange and light blue paints then.

I went to a show early in the year where they were selling 4mm Portillo's complete with pink jacket it was utter carp the figure was a big chunky fellow in a donkey jacket not a bean pole like dear old Michael.  :jester:

Now laid the latest plan on the layout and it's not just working.

The terraced houses look OK and the industry better laid out but the large house is not right - garden far to small for a building of that size.

I like the idea of this large house as it's going to quite complicated to build so what I'm mulling over now is to make the industry half the size, bring the existing building more into it and turn the house 90 degrees so the garden can be bigger and ends by the terraces.

Work on it tomorrow when we are having the meters changed to smart ones........

IMG_2661.JPG.b8451c168786de72a236c9d5d98cb421.JPG

Edited by KNP
  • Like 2

On 28/03/2017 at 14:48, Stubby47 said:

Unless people know differently, I'm not sure how common pigeon lofts (correct term) are / were in Devon. It always seems to me to be a more northern pastime.

And having thatched cottages next to a factory chimney was the potential issue - I would agree they could have been there first (hence the reducing size of the gardens) and could well have been for farm workers rather than factory workers.

Hope they where pigeons in the West Country as I have one already in the back yard of the pub?

Agree about the chimney so the boiler house, if it goes in, will be the other side of the site.

There's also a chicken run in the back garden of next doors butcher shop.........

784.JPG.ac08e245533ce78380f35276f48c6e14.JPG

Edited by KNP
  • Like 3