Railway Served Mills/Maltings

josh993

Good Evening,

I'm looking towards my next project, which may be a small 7mm Cameo Style Layout. Currently, I plan one of the main features to be a mill/maltings or a building of similar descrpit to mask the sector plate fiddle yard. I'm currently trying to gather a collection of photographs which will help me to design a similar building which is either based on a particular or incorporates a few prototype buildings. The hardest part I think will be coming up with a design that is substantial enough to disguise the sector plate but not so obtrusive that it will ruin a small country based Eastern region scene.

I've come across a few good examples which others have modeled such as the large grain store Martyn Welch has modeled on Monks Eleigh, and a few others which I can't seem to recall at this particular moment in time!

In addition to this, I've been doing some research of my own, browsing through the numerous eastern region based books I have and have come up with a few examples, such as: Snape Maltings, GodManchester, Fakenham, Trouse, etc.

As these buildings were normally the less interesting part of many stations, it isn't always easy to find whole or clear pictures of these specific buildings, and was wondering if anyone else could perhaps suggest any other places which had similar buildings or other places I could look to find similar pictures?

Thanks in Advance :)

There have been several discussion topics and layouts featuring maltings on RMweb.  Try running a search - I would also suggest including Hadleigh in the list as I know I've added photos (after closure, but showing the structures) and there are several photographs in the Winwood Collection at the NRM.

The buildings at Snape keep me being drawn back to having a similar idea. The book on the Snape branch is one of my favourites, well worth getting a copy if you don't have one already. The shunting at Snape would be interesting as all the sidings are accessed using a wagon turntable right in front of the main building. Add to that most of the sidings are at right angles to the incoming branch.

We copied the bridge over the Alde for our layout "Scratchy Bottom". I have to add the hand rail. The layout is also adaptable so I can swap out the buildings, signs and stock and move it to various locations and times. its next outing is at the Blyth and Tyne Show in Newcastle were it will be running as a GER Tramway branch in the Wisbech and Upwell Tramway style circ 1917. However we have run it as LBSCR, NER, LSWR and Furness as I have managed to find examples of similar landscapes in all these areas.   

Marc

post-13539-0-76686700-1489399643_thumb.jpg

post-13539-0-45088100-1489399699_thumb.jpg

Had you thought about the line through Colinton Dell in Edinburgh?

Plenty of interesting topography, interesting track especially at Colinton station and lots of mills en route.

Unique locomotives and 4 wheel coaches built due to sharp curves.

Accept may not be ideal for your mentioned companies though.  

Archived