Ex LNWR Semi-Royal Saloon No 806

MikeTrice

Very surreal morning today. Driving along the A224 at Polhill in Kent and spotted an old carriage in the car park of the Calcutta Curry Club restaurant. It turns out this is the Ex LNWR Semi Royal Saloon No 806 which will be staying there for the next 3 months between filming commitments.

post-3717-0-63476600-1489412683_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-04603500-1489412685_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

The authentic greening of the upper panels due to the yellowing effect of coach varnish on top of blu-ish white has come over on film surprisingly. Genuine LNWR Deepframe bogies but with replacement LMS axlebox cover plates. The closest thing to this I have travelled in were the LNWR push-pull open saloons. They too had recessed wooden doors and curvaceous brass handrails. 

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Semi Royal means that it was for use by the hanger's on. These vehicles could also be rented by anyone who could afford to purchase a ridiculous amount of first class tickets to where they wanted to go, whereas the Royal Saloons where kept for exclusive use by the royal family.

Andy G

What is meant by "semi royal"? For use by the illegitimate children of the royal family?

It could be used in the LNW Royal Train if needed without letting the shareholders loose face. It could also be used as an open first class saloon in a train like the Sunny South Express just to keep up with the Jones's. Quite a flexible vehicle, its last use IIRC was as a dormitory coach in a breakdown train. Regrettably, from a preservation point of view, this meant that all the interior fixtures and fitting were scrapped leaving the inside in a somewhat nondescript condition. It would cost a fortune to restore the inside so it just has a pretty exterior.

Very odd! Did you happen to get any more photos of it at all please? Its on my list to build at somepoint in the future..

Andy G

Andy,

I have a set of Trevor Charlton 4mm (etched zinc) sides/ends if you are interested. The inner and outer ends, doors and clerestory sides are part of the "kit".

I had intended to make up a D1, but it is not now suited to my stock needs for London Road.

Jol

Paid another visit today and this time took my camera. One or two photos later  :sungum:

post-3717-0-85579700-1489598015_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-93530900-1489598011_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-49362600-1489598013_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-54655200-1489598014_thumb.jpg

If anyone wants a particular image of something on the exterior chances are I have taken one so just ask.

P.S. The upper panels appearing blue are due to the fact the film company that recently borrowed it painted them a pale blue.

• Like 2

The original LNWR white had some blue in it, to counter the effect of the varnish yellowing. Philip Millard, the acknowledged expert on LNWR carriages, is of the view that anything from a blue tinted white (as per the photo) to a pale cream after several years of service, would be realistic.

The authentic greening of the upper panels due to the yellowing effect of coach varnish on top of blu-ish white has come over on film surprisingly. Genuine LNWR Deepframe bogies but with replacement LMS axlebox cover plates. The closest thing to this I have travelled in were the LNWR push-pull open saloons. They too had recessed wooden doors and curvaceous brass handrails. 

Until this latest move, you could have ridden in this carriage on the Lavender Line.

Attached are a couple of photos of it whilst it was at the Lavender Line in July 2014/5. I have a couple of others of the exterior but similar to already posted ones.

The Interior ones are I believe are after it was styled used for a filming set on location

post-19135-0-50792500-1489606743_thumb.jpg

post-19135-0-59819400-1489606747_thumb.jpg

post-19135-0-30385700-1489606752_thumb.jpg

post-19135-0-22150400-1489607009_thumb.jpg

Martin

• Like 2

I could have sworn it looked like that inside when I trevelled on it at Giants of Steam in October 2007 (when City of Truro was the guest visitor).

It was back the Bluebell recently for a filming job (hence the blue paint).

Regards,

Dan

The livery on the Semi-Royal is partly correct as the lining is wrong. This should be gold around the all paneling, not white. However, as carriage was painted for filming then I suspect anything goes.

The interior was apparently white when built. According to Jenkinson's LNWR Coaches, six were built, one - 803 - became part of the Prime Minister's WW2 train and was" the only one to remain substantially as built throughout its lif".

I assume the white lining on the coach while it was on the Lavender line was acting as a base for the chrome yellow lining. The 'yellow' would certainly be more vivid than on top of plum. In LNWR days, the lining paint would most likely be a thick paste that would cover anything. I have seen professional liners charge their brush and walk along the side of a bus following a chalk line. An amazing skill that, thank goodness, is still with us in some of the young painters working for heritage centres.

Incidentally, when done correctly the yellow lining had a white line either side.

Edited by coachmann

AFAIK if you want to do some 1 to 1 modelling the coach is still for sale and has been for a few years.

Unfortunately I've just brought a car and a new fridge freezer this month so that puts me out the frame but out of pure interest what sort of figure would a coach like this command?

Unfortunately I've just brought a car and a new fridge freezer this month so that puts me out the frame but out of pure interest what sort of figure would a coach like this command?

Buying it is one thing, storing, transporting and maintaining it is probably the biggest problem.

It would be nice if it went to Quainton, where there are several other LNWR carriages or somewhere else with a LNWR connection, rather than in a car park in Kent