DJM N gauge Crowdfunded King Class Steam Loco has started

DJM Dave

Hi everyone,

I have decided to go ahead and gauge interest in a crowdfunding scheme for an N gauge 4-6-0 King locomotive.

Here are some details regarding the 'going live' crowdfunding N gauge king. 

I've decided to go ahead with this, to gauge (sorry) serious intent from the N gauge community.

Therefore i'm going live today and the sign-ups will have until Sunday 17th June 2017 to register an interest.

The 5 models chosen will be totally exclusive to crowdfunders and not be repeated again.

Models will be certificated and have the following specifications.

The model will use the OO cad/cam inherited from Hattons shrunk down to N gauge.

Specifications

Coreless motor

Next 18 DCC decoder socket

Sound speaker fitment space in tender

Removable tender coal load

traction tyres on rear axle but with non traction tyres replacement axle set in box

2 types of bogies for customer choice for track clearance

etched name and number plates

polished steel effect con rods

darkened RP72.110 wheel sets

close coupling (if possible) on tender rear.

12 wheel pick up (tender and loco)

etched fire irons

separate hand lamps within accessory bag

Loco drive onto rear axle from motor

Maximum weight possible within technical boundaries

How much?

Crowdfunding cost per locomotive £135.50 (no limit to the amount of Kings the crowdfunder can purchase.

RRP for loco when on sale in other guises £159.95

Payments for each model will be in stages if crowdfunding meets the amount needed to make project viable.

only then will deposit invoices be sent out.....

Initial deposit £30.00 (this is non refundable)

then 1st EP tooling deposit £50.00 (non refundable)

lastly the remaining total plus £8.00 shipping = £63.50 (non refundable)

Please note the funds are non refundable due to the nature of the crowdfunding and the tooling needing £100,000.00 So please only put your name down if you are serious about owning what will be a fantastic model. Payment by credit card recommended.

Timelines

From the end of June, providing crowdfunding reaches its required level, final design will start, taking approximately 4 weeks using the OO gauge cad/cams as the starting point. Once completed tooling to 1st EP standard should take 6-8 weeks. 1 month for review and comments, then the 2nd ep (production standard) tooling should take the same 6-8 weeks. (providing an early tooling slot is available)

Decorated models will be produced using the 1st EP models to keep the wait to a minimum.

Production will be 4 weeks 

shipping 4 - 6 weeks including land transport to distributor, then 48 hours to ship to UK customers.

All phases of the project will be covered by tooling / production photographs and reports when there is news to be shared, and the ship name will be notified to allow us all to follow the consignment progress across the world.

Please visit www.djmodels.co.uk  and the sub page 'pre orders and other' to sign up for a King!

post-1144-0-07633500-1489413211_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-66763400-1489413237_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Brilliant, quick question for GWR buffs. I'm modeling circa 1936 (just started) which is GREAT WESTERN on tenders, which of the two GWR liveries on offer is the most likely to overlap with this (i lost my quick reference sheet of liveries!)

Also, rather impressive timescales if they can be kept too! 

Actually "Great Western" on the tender was replaced in 1934 by the Shirtbutton emblem. As the top-link express locos of the, the Kings received the new branding pretty quickly so if you are modelling 1936, you will probably want:

DJM-LS-N-001A 6006 King George I GWR Lined green with GWR 'Shirtbutton' logo on the tender

Actually "Great Western" on the tender was replaced in 1934 by the Shirtbutton emblem. As the top-link express locos of the, the Kings received the new branding pretty quickly so if you are modelling 1936, you will probably want:

DJM-LS-N-001A 6006 King George I GWR Lined green with GWR 'Shirtbutton' logo on the tender

Hey Buddy, long time since i saw you post, thanks for that, I probably meant earlier (brain not working), but thats grand, works for me, ta muchly

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just been onto DJM site. There are things on that pre-order page that I did not even know about. Must pay more attention!

Very impressed by both timescale and price for the King. I absolutely do not need one. But it would be rude not to.

Likewise, I will definitely be getting one (just need to choose which one) although quite what it will be doing trundling down a branchline in rural Somerset I am not quite sure yet.

shakedown following a refurb. simples

• Like 1

Get your orders in before my birthday - nice one! A sign I should switch to N gauge?

Anyway, my only recommendation would be to include a link here and on the DJM to the pre-orders page (plus suggest people scroll down to the end of that page as they are not amongst the N gauge items).

Anyway, my only recommendation would be to include a link here and on the DJM to the pre-orders page (plus suggest people scroll down to the end of that page as they are not amongst the N gauge items).

Not a bad idea, I hope Dave won't mind if I add this.

http://djmodels.co.uk/?page_id=47

Also, for ease of browsing, here is the list of identities on offer.

DJM-LS-N-002A 6018 King Henry VI GWR Lined green with "G (crest) W" on the tender

DJM-LS-N-003A 6023 King Edward II BR Lined blue with early BR crest

DJM-LS-N-004A 6009 King Charles II BR Lined green with early BR crest

DJM-LS-N-005A 6017 King Edward IV BR Lined green with Late BR crest

• Like 1

From Dave's timescales and a fair wind we could have this loco around April 2018. Seems good to me, cannot wait.

Even if it ends up taking twice that long, it will still be far quicker than it took Farish to bring out the Castle (4 years and counting IIRC).

• RMweb Premium

Will be fantastic to see an N Gauge model to this level of detail. Sadly I think the OO Gauge one is not gonna happen at all, seeing as the thread for that mode has been deleted from the forum. Lucky N Gaugers is all I can say!

Not a bad idea, I hope Dave won't mind if I add this.

http://djmodels.co.uk/?page_id=47

Also, for ease of browsing, here is the list of identities on offer.

DJM-LS-N-002A 6018 King Henry VI GWR Lined green with "G (crest) W" on the tender

DJM-LS-N-003A 6023 King Edward II BR Lined blue with early BR crest

DJM-LS-N-004A 6009 King Charles II BR Lined green with early BR crest

DJM-LS-N-005A 6017 King Edward IV BR Lined green with Late BR crest

So is this all locos with single chimney, except 6017 with double chimney?

EDIT: from the CAD, 6023 is obviously as preserved (BR Blue, double chimney)

Chris

Edited by Chris Higgs

• RMweb Premium

So is this all locos with single chimney, except 6017 with double chimney?

EDIT: from the CAD, 6023 is obviously as preserved (BR Blue, double chimney)

Chris

6023 has a single chimney in preservation, not double.

None at all for BR early crest?

It's a tough call. GWR/WR layouts usually have plenty of green on them but a single King in sparkling blue looks rather splendid and distinctive at the head of a rake of crimson and cream coaches. :locomotive:

I can't decide between post-war GWR livery or one of the early crest versions. Sadly modelling funds probably won't stretch to all 3. ;)

It's early days. If the pie chart represents only 5 in total, having no orders for one of the options is not particularly significant yet.

Yes, posted less than 6 hours after going live. :)

I wonder if Dave could put a live pie-chart livery-tracker on his website that would give the slices of pie in real-time? Or maybe we should just let him get on with making models rather updates. :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully, the model railway magazines will help the process by giving this project some editorial. Those of us who spend far too much time on RMWeb tend to forget that we are a very small sector of the market. I have not checked on N Gauge Forum to see if it has a thread there.