DJM N gauge Crowdfunded King Class Steam Loco has started

DJM Dave

• RMweb Gold

Followin on from my last post, the reason that the washout plugs are "interlaced" for want of a better description is that when you are doing a washout the water will not be shot out the other side and instead clean not only the top of the inner firebox, but the space between the two fireboxes. Having washed out a few Western engines in my time I can tell you it is a cold and potentially wet job at any time other than high summer! finally the King boilers were not replaced as far as I know, so that the position of the washout plugs would be the same for their entire working lives.

Regards,

Alex

There are conflicts of information on this with one source (the RCTS series) stating that new boilers were ordered c1948-51 while others variously state that the boilers were rebuilt when converted to 4 row superheating.  It is quite possible that - as was so often the case - 'rebuilt' was an accountancy euphemism for the provision of new boilers by ensuring they were not charged to the capital account.

attachicon.gifS1030006.JPG

King Edward II had 4 washout plugs in front of the band and three behind when I saw it at the Severn Valley in April.

It's not the same on the two sides. That's quite typical for a Belpaire firebox.

Oh darn, it looks like you are right.

6023%20new%20blast%20pipe%20run.jpg

LHS is 4 front and 3 behind, RHS is 3 front and 4 behind.

Now the $64,000 question: Is this consistent across the class and across time or did it vary from loco to loco and/or date to date?

Followin on from my last post, the reason that the washout plugs are "interlaced" for want of a better description is that when you are doing a washout the water will not be shot out the other side and instead clean not only the top of the inner firebox, but the space between the two fireboxes. Having washed out a few Western engines in my time I can tell you it is a cold and potentially wet job at any time other than high summer! finally the King boilers were not replaced as far as I know, so that the position of the washout plugs would be the same for their entire working lives.

Regards,

Alex

Ok, I can see the reasoning and I've just found a picture of KEII from the other side and agree they are not symmetrical. They are symmetrical on the CADS though; 4 in front on the later ones and three in front on the earlier ones, so that will need to be looked at

Dave 

My posts regarding the washout plugs have been based on looking at amny photographs and videos of King George V and King Edward I. please remember that KGV went straight from BR service to preservation, and has not been modified or cut down to run to todays height and width restrictions, and as for the boilers, even in Western region days, Swindon practices were carried on, and the rebuilt boilers would have had the same washout plug sitings as per the original - new outer firebox sides, throat plate and a new inner firebox (to bring the stay sizes back to first size) and front tubeplate to take the new four row Melesco type superheater as used in BR standards.

finally there is a weight diagram (page 44) and a great deal of useful photographs in Michael Rutherfords "castles and Kings at work

Regards,

Alex

And now you know why they tell you to make an accurate model you should get photos of both sides taken at the same time if at all possible (which more often than not it is not possible).

Chris

Hi everyone,

I am pleased to say that i have signed off on the early N gauge GWR King locomotive (King1) cad/cam today.

I expect King2 and King3 cad/cam's tomorrow for detail checking.

Here are the pictures for 'King1'

They will be available to order from the new DJM web site e-commerce, site, and i will mail everyone to give them the link for their deposit order payment. Once enough have paid the deposit, i hope to go to tooling immediately with a first EP sample around the time of the N gauge Show at Leamington Spa.

Cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-84603400-1532602663_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-65743800-1532602673_thumb.jpg

post-1144-0-84233700-1532602683_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Hi,

All Kings being made are for crowdfunders. they will get sll versions advertised at a lower price and will each have an exclusive model that will not be repeated in both livery and name combo.

Any further runs of the model (non crowdfunded versions) will be at RRP.

However, any further runs will also be of different name/livery combinations, and not ordered along with this batch, so the crowdfunded models will be exclusive for quite a long time if you just wanted an N gauge model King loco.

Hope this helps

cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Hi,

All Kings being made are for crowdfunders. they will get sll versions advertised at a lower price and will each have an exclusive model that will not be repeated in both livery and name combo.

Any further runs of the model (non crowdfunded versions) will be at RRP.

However, any further runs will also be of different name/livery combinations, and not ordered along with this batch, so the crowdfunded models will be exclusive for quite a long time if you just wanted an N gauge model King loco.

Hope this helps

cheers

Dave

Sorry, I meant people who have ordered a king based on CAD 1 or all crowd funded kings.

Sorry, I meant people who have ordered a king based on CAD 1 or all crowd funded kings.

Sorry mate,

my fault, i'm lost.

There are no other models apart from crowdfunded ones. if you have ordered one, its one of those, not part of a standard production run as there is no standard production run.

cheers

Dave

I think what he is asking is, is it just those who have ordered the CAD 1 models that need to pay the next installment or will CAD 2 and Cad 3 funders also need to make a payment even though their CADs are still being finalised.

Ah, thanks mate, sorry for being dim.

you will be able to order ant fersion immediately, not just King1, as the ystem will ebable all versions to be ordered.

King2 and King3, cad cams are with me, and undergoing checks but they need a few changes and might take until the middle to the end of next week, but also not far off, so it makes sense to allow all orders immmediately so that tooling can start very soon too

cheers

Dave

Ah, thanks mate, sorry for being dim.

you will be able to order ant fersion immediately, not just King1, as the ystem will ebable all versions to be ordered.

King2 and King3, cad cams are with me, and undergoing checks but they need a few changes and might take until the middle to the end of next week, but also not far off, so it makes sense to allow all orders immmediately so that tooling can start very soon too

cheers

Dave

Hi Dave...  please can you announce on here when the deposit emails have gone out as between moving house and countries I am worried that they will go out and I will not get them even though I have email forwarding set.   It would be a great help to get a single post on here so I can follow up direct if nothing is received :)

Thanks. 

Hi Dave...  please can you announce on here when the deposit emails have gone out as between moving house and countries I am worried that they will go out and I will not get them even though I have email forwarding set.   It would be a great help to get a single post on here so I can follow up direct if nothing is received :)

Thanks.

Hi Mate,

i will do, and on whatever web site i'll be using.

however, deposit e-mails will go out to all, almost immediately King2 and King3 are completed.

cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Dave, I'm also in the position of having moved house (but not country!) since I registered interest.  How would you prefer I notify you of my new address?  I'm not too bothered about the invoice as my email is still the same, but would like to be sure that the Kings turn up at the right place.

Thanks, Dave B.

Dave, I'm also in the position of having moved house (but not country!) since I registered interest.  How would you prefer I notify you of my new address?  I'm not too bothered about the invoice as my email is still the same, but would like to be sure that the Kings turn up at the right place.

Thanks, Dave B.

Hi Dave,

When this long awaited website goes live, you'll be able to order the model and pay the deposit directly there, and fill in your details including the up to date address.

You will get a generated receipt as well confirming your details.

Cheers

Dave

Please elaborate on the provisions for sound. I assume this won't be a plug-in job with a pre-installed speaker like the Farish Class 40, but will there be a pre-formed speaker enclosure and solder tabs for the speaker wires as in the Farish Castle?