DJM N gauge Crowdfunded King Class Steam Loco has started

DJM Dave

A lot of people look at what they have left from their pay packet before they spend on non family items, so at this time of year family spend gets priority. 

Anecdotally I have been told model railway spending picks up sharply in the three weeks before Christmas, probably as they then know by then they have cash spare to spend on themselves.

For instance as an example of early Christmas spending, I have just paid for two City of Truro models from Union Mills and that is my Christmas present budgeted for back in July.  :O

• Like 1

I am struggling to understand this one. So what is it in October and November which stops people spending their money on trains?

Perhaps it's the number of heritage line Autumn Steam Gala events which happen in September and October?

That's assuming that those people who are likely to want a King are also interested in the 12" to the foot versions.  Personally, I've just spent two days at the SVR, along with 6233, 46100, 70000, 63395, etc.

• Like 1

I am trying to adopt the Rule of 4 for my Christmas list.1. Something I want2. Something I need3. Something to eat4. Something to readI have ordered 2 Kings so I guess that takes care of 1 & 2. :jester:

You can read the DJM instruction manual. That makes it 3 kings for Xmas. Just ask for a box of chocolates as the forth gift otherwise you may get socks!

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps it's the number of heritage line Autumn Steam Gala events which happen in September and October?

That's assuming that those people who are likely to want a King are also interested in the 12" to the foot versions.  Personally, I've just spent two days at the SVR, along with 6233, 46100, 70000, 63395, etc.

Agree  - September 'railway' budget spent on the SVR gala - tickets, books, DVD's food and drink. I think of it as putting something back into the movement which in many ways inspires and sustains the RTR model market.

Just to add a little geographical significance the latest issue of the "Gresley Observer" has pictures of 6018 "King Henry VI" at Kings Cross, Potters Bar and Wakefield when working Kings Cross to Leeds trains as part of the Locomotive Exchanges in 1948.

Also shown on the same workings are 35019 "French Line CGT" and 35017 "Belgian Marine" (coupled to LMS tenders), 46162 "Queen's Westminster Rifleman" and 46236 "City of Bradford".

Some, but by no means all, of the trains had a dynamometer car attached.

These also worked trains along the West Coast Main Line and on the Southern, together with a trio of A4s.   Just goes to show you don't HAVE to model GWR lines to have a King.

Les

Just to add a little geographical significance the latest issue of the "Gresley Observer" has pictures of 6018 "King Henry VI" at Kings Cross, Potters Bar and Wakefield when working Kings Cross to Leeds trains as part of the Locomotive Exchanges in 1948.

Also shown on the same workings are 35019 "French Line CGT" and 35017 "Belgian Marine" (coupled to LMS tenders), 46162 "Queen's Westminster Rifleman" and 46236 "City of Bradford".

Some, but by no means all, of the trains had a dynamometer car attached.

These also worked trains along the West Coast Main Line and on the Southern, together with a trio of A4s.   Just goes to show you don't HAVE to model GWR lines to have a King.

Les

Indeed. Although it would help that you are modelling 1948.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

I suspect that the low conversion of interest into orders has more to do with the lack of a deadline and the length of time that some other partially funded projects have been awaiting tooling decisions.

I'd like one, but I'll wait until I see one in the flesh and actually working before purchasing one. I'm not prepared to fork out £135 in advance for something that runs as appallingly as the Hatton's 14xx.

• RMweb Premium

I'd like one, but I'll wait until I see one in the flesh and actually working before purchasing one. I'm not prepared to fork out £135 in advance for something that runs as appallingly as the Hatton's 14xx.

Is that a general view of the 14xx? Can't they be replaced?

You have to have faith if crowdfunding is to work, otherwise we won't have a King at all.

No guarentee's you will get one if you want to wait for it, the models will produced to demand as per all crowd funding. So be prepared to pay over the odds should someone decide to sell theirs

Given the feedback on the "cogging" and other associated running problems with the 14xx and Austerity that are frequently mentioned on RMWeb, I'm afraid this would be my approach too, much as I would like to support a new manufacturer.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

The RRP for a standard run King is quoted at £169.95, the £135.50 is for the initial funded run only.

Do people no longer return faulty goods for replacement/refund? I have a great deal of respect for Dave so I'm not concerned about the quality expectation, but if it's wrong it goes back like anything else.

Regards, Gerry.

There is an element of risk when paying up front that you will get nothing or be disappointed with the product. The amount of cash required is hardly earth shattering do it isn't a big risk. I think the bigger risk is that if too many of those who promised to fund don't pay up then this project will fail and the chances of any other N gauge loco crowdfunding projects in the future are severely reduced .

• RMweb Premium

I did not say retail. Retail is obviously bigger in December because its too late to order online.

That literally makes no sense! You said most Christmas shopping was done in October, which just isn’t true. At all. and if it’s not retail what is it? You can order online from just about anywhere until a week before Christmas, often days.

That’s not to say that some people don’t start to consider Christmas and maybe scale back purchases, but IMO that effect is nowhere near as large as you’re making out as fact!

That literally makes no sense! You said most Christmas shopping was done in October, which just isn’t true. At all. and if it’s not retail what is it? You can order online from just about anywhere until a week before Christmas, often days.

That’s not to say that some people don’t start to consider Christmas and maybe scale back purchases, but IMO that effect is nowhere near as large as you’re making out as fact!

I can't see the point of sitting on the fence and hoping enough other people will risk their money so that you can pay an extra 20% for the same item if and when it is produced.

I've never considered myself well off but I suppose I am lucky that I have paid off my mortgage and all my children are now in their 30s and reasonable well paid so I don't have to worry if I want to spend money on my railway. I ordered a Nelevator and paid the deposit as soon as it was announced. Mine was one of the first ones and was delivered and set up by Allan. That wasn't crowd funded although I can't see much difference in paying 50% when ordered and 50% on delviery. I'm very happy with it especially as two years later it cost twice as much. 

Dave

• Like 1

Given the feedback on the "cogging" and other associated running problems with the 14xx and Austerity that are frequently mentioned on RMWeb, I'm afraid this would be my approach too, much as I would like to support a new manufacturer.

I have currently got six (yes, SIX) DJM Austerities and within our club there are possibly six more.  None of them cog - NOT ONE.  Were we lucky?  Possibly.  Do we shout about it when a model runs as it should do?  Not enough in my opinion.

The main issue I have with the J94 (other than self-inflicted issues with individual locos) is it doesn't like a certain part of my trackwork on "No Place", and needs a plug of lead inside the smokebox to make it behave.  Now if there were a similar solution for the Heljan 05 and 14, the Hattons Barclay, Bachmann's 57xx, 03 and 64xx and Hornby's Peckett and J50, all of which also dislike this particular part of my track I would look forward to sorting those out as well.  Altering the track at this point is not an option so please don't suggest it.

As to not ordering a loco you fancy on negative reports of others heard on forums, fine (your decision) but please don't spread your negativity to put off others who may make the difference as to whether a model goes ahead or not.

Edited by Les1952

• RMweb Premium

I have currently got six (yes, SIX) DJM Austerities and within our club there are possibly six more.  None of them cog - NOT ONE.  Were we lucky?  Possibly.  .

I’ve had seven of the J94’s through my hands, and they run ok on flat track. Show them a downhill gradient and a load and they all start to cog. Try running them on a descending gradient under load and see if they falter. If they don’t I’d be very grateful to see a video of that performance, as unfortunately every one I’ve had under test has failed, different batches too. The 14xx has shown the same traits with gradients, however one RMw member has shown a video of one descending acceptably, no one yet has shown (as far as I know) a J94 descending under load and not faltering. I’d be extremely hesitant about buying another model with this drive train mechanism, from this manufacturer, but that’s based on first hand experience, not heresay. If you’re prepared to do a similar test and show the results I’d be very pleased to see them, but suggest they’d be better shown on the J94 thread.

My understanding is that DJM is using another more reputable manufacturer for this and all other future projects so I'm confident we won't see a repeat of disliked features from previous releases.

In anycase, I feel, N gauge is more Dave's domain with far more experience on N locos after working for Dapol.

I ordered a king a few weeks back, and am hoping we get an update from Dave soon. My questions are whether uptake has passed 300 models, and if there is any intention to put a final deadline for getting orders in? The mid September deadline was clearly not enough to get people to invest, and I'm worried that we could be having the same conversation in four years time. I'd love this model to be a success for Dave, and have been following this and the previous thread for the best part of two years in keen anticipation of what can be produced.

Hi everyone,

Just a short post but i have been busy 'behind the scenes' this last 12 days.

Here is the latest fruits of the labour that is the N gauge King.

Received today as a very nice 'kit of parts' which i am currently putting together ready for priming, and display at this weekends Fareham show. If your around, pop by and take a look.

I'll obviously post more pics of the 'finished' item on here when its done including the 1 hexagonal driving wheel. (something wrong with the data there i think as the other is round. lol

Cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-47785700-1538681799_thumb.jpg

• Like 9