DJM N gauge Crowdfunded King Class Steam Loco has started

DJM Dave

I’ve had seven of the J94’s through my hands, and they run ok on flat track. Show them a downhill gradient and a load and they all start to cog. Try running them on a descending gradient under load and see if they falter. If they don’t I’d be very grateful to see a video of that performance, as unfortunately every one I’ve had under test has failed, different batches too. The 14xx has shown the same traits with gradients, however one RMw member has shown a video of one descending acceptably, no one yet has shown (as far as I know) a J94 descending under load and not faltering. I’d be extremely hesitant about buying another model with this drive train mechanism, from this manufacturer, but that’s based on first hand experience, not heresay. If you’re prepared to do a similar test and show the results I’d be very pleased to see them, but suggest they’d be better shown on the J94 thread.

With the greatest respect to Les1952, this is the sort of factual feedback (not hearsay) that has put me off. Other well-established modellers, whose opinions I respect, have offered similar feedback in other threads. I await future updates from Dave at DJModels, and reviews on the running of the newly tooled models with great interest, and will be delighted if the running quality issues are sorted, as several of Dave’s new items are on my wish lists.

Edited by dcroz

Following the scam story about the DJ Clayton going to be a Dapol announcement at TINGS by a Troll on the N Gauge Forum last month, I have to say that any post that appear to be "exaggerating" or "over dressed" is getting a healthy degree of scepticism.

By the way, if you put a worm on a coreless motor you need to limit its play as a coreless motor can only rely on the motor case as a thrust bearing in one direction.  When the worm is forced towards the brush end of the motor case it sticks.  this is what happens when forced forward.  The fix is a brass tube to brace the worm against the motor case, which creates the other thrust bearing.

What interests me is that seven models passed through someones hands without this being spotted or understood.

Are they using cheap motors in these locos?

All of the motors I have ripped to bits (not all that many) have had thrust bearings/washers at each end in the case to limit travel and binding.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You need to contact him via his site for answers directly as he isn't posting on here.

Presumably there is a reason for withdrawing from RMweb.

But if he doesn't post updates here and only communicates by email to those who have registered an EOI then he is unlikely to attract any new potential customers who frequent the forum. He is unlikely to compete with the big companies with full page adverts in commercial magazines so to some extent it's a bit like cutting off one marketing channel.

G  

But if he doesn't post updates here and only communicates by email to those who have registered an EOI then he is unlikely to attract any new potential customers who frequent the forum. He is unlikely to compete with the big companies with full page adverts in commercial magazines so to some extent it's a bit like cutting off one marketing channel.

G  

I don't know the reason Grahame

I just noticed his lack of presence and then the lack of comments when he was logged on - he is sometimes live on the site, other times he may be here as a guest but he hasn't posted since October 4th.

His current contact method is first email to his investors/EOI and then a posting on his website.  I agree it does seem retrograde, but I think his product topics had become a pro Dave /  anti Dave arena which was probably not good for generating sales from and in some ways he had lost the battle especially with the 14xx.

It all remains to be seen how he will use printed media to promote his models and see if that draws in the necessary interest to get the APT/King over the line in terms of numbers (IDK where these products are right now) and if he can get sufficient EOI on the Mogul.

He's at Warley so he's still visible and perhaps it will generate the interest he needs to move these three key products, a return of the N class 17 would have also been nice especially as that had got to a working EP. 

I think he just get fed up countering the crap posted by a handful of people who go out of their way to do him down and spread false stories.  I sight the incident of the scammer posing on the NGF some months ago claiming his Clayton was going to be released by Dapol at TINGS

Lets be fair, whilst there may have been some downright false comments Dave didn't always do himself favours, the payment thing with Paypal should have been foreseen and dealt with before the APT became a thing, his filing of documents timely and there is enough evidence to suggest the 14xx is not his best output.

Possibly 2018 has been his annus horriblis so the only way from here is up - he has three solid models  to plug which if two of them come off will re-establish his credentials in OO and N.

G  

He also posts, after a short exclusive period, the updates on his website.  Anyone interested will need to start checking his website periodically.