DJM N gauge Crowdfunded King Class Steam Loco has started

DJM Dave

Hopefully, the model railway magazines will help the process by giving this project some editorial. Those of us who spend far too much time on RMWeb tend to forget that we are a very small sector of the market. I have not checked on N Gauge Forum to see if it has a thread there.

Yup,

It's on the N gauge forum, press releases were sent to all the magazines including the N gauge society one through Grahame Hedges.

Cheers

Dave

Yes, posted less than 6 hours after going live. :)

I wonder if Dave could put a live pie-chart livery-tracker on his website that would give the slices of pie in real-time? Or maybe we should just let him get on with making models rather updates. :jester:

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Pie! 

It's early days. If the pie chart represents only 5 in total, having no orders for one of the options is not particularly significant yet.

Chris

Agreed, but only there for fun at the moment, 

as the days go on, it will be more realistic and give everyone an idea about the popularity of certain decorations against others.

As for quantity, your quite right, it was based on the first 8 sign ups, and it's nicely into double figures at the moment.

• Like 2

Agreed, but only there for fun at the moment, 

as the days go on, it will be more realistic and give everyone an idea about the popularity of certain decorations against others.

As for quantity, your quite right, it was based on the first 8 sign ups, and it's nicely into double figures at the moment.

Yes, I am sure. As to a live pie chart, a waste of time for you to program and for us to watch all day instead of working!

Any answer to my question as to single/double chimney on the late-BR version?

Chris

Hi Dave

Do you have a rough idea of when payments would be expected? I am guessing the first will be due about 18th June or 1st July then the rest dependant on how fast things progress.

I really want a pair of these and want to make sure I will have the money in place for when you need it so I don't miss out.

Hi mate,

Nothing on the OO king I'm afraid.

The market is saturated, to such an extant that kings with tats sound were so,d to the trade late last year for £49.95 each.

Add to that the knowledge that the are more heading this way but at £169.95 or there abouts it's going to be difficult to bring the ultimate king in OO to the market place just yet.

I'll sit back and watch the market for a couple of years I think, unless someone out there wants to fund one? ;-)

HTH

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave

Do you have a rough idea of when payments would be expected? I am guessing the first will be due about 18th June or 1st July then the rest dependant on how fast things progress.

I really want a pair of these and want to make sure I will have the money in place for when you need it so I don't miss out.

June 18 is about right mate, then the timeline will be as advertised ( approximately ) providing tool room time is available.

• RMweb Gold

Likewise, I will definitely be getting one (just need to choose which one) although quite what it will be doing trundling down a branchline in rural Somerset I am not quite sure yet.

Obviously a Somerset branch line that carries heavy stone traffic..............

Obviously a Somerset branch line that carries heavy stone traffic..............

Stone traffic? You wouldn't get a mighty King on aggregates! :P

Now milk on the other hand. Kings did handle milk occasionally where speed was important as well as haulage. Now all I need is a dairy at the end of my BLT.

Oh, wait a minute!  :sungum:

DSCF5445_zpsrgwutbhu.jpg

• Like 3

June 18 is about right mate, then the timeline will be as advertised ( approximately ) providing tool room time is available.

Thanks Dave,

Looks like I had better get some overtime in or sell some more models ready to pay for these. I know you will do a great job on them

Stone traffic? You wouldn't get a mighty King on aggregates! :P

Now milk on the other hand. Kings did handle milk occasionally where speed was important as well as haulage. Now all I need is a dairy at the end of my BLT.

Oh, wait a minute!  :sungum:

DSCF5445_zpsrgwutbhu.jpg

I have ordered 2 and though my layout is supposed to be in Cornwall, I will imagine that the Saltash bridge was strengthened in early BR days to allow them into Cornwall (A variation on rule 1!!)

Regards,

Alex

• Like 2

Hi everyone,

A few days in and thing are encouraging. And don't forget the press have yet to publicise this too! The N gauge society Journal is at print so i missed that deadline unfortunately but i hope to be in the next one.

Please remember that this will only come available quickly (as i have said i will do it when i get the funds in a few years) due to you signing up for one (or 5 ;-)), so please support this venture and become part of history as the worlds first success RTR N gauge steam locomotive.

For the modern modellers out there, don't forget that this year should hopefully see a King back on the mainline, which gives you a perfect excuse to sign up for 6023 in Blue livery and run excursions.

Anyway, here's the latest info on the sales demographic in my now favourite format.........pie.....chart!!

cheers

Dave

post-1144-0-88167800-1489657772.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Anyway, here's the latest info on the sales demographic in my now favourite format.........pie.....chart!!

Noooooooooo! There's never a reason to use pie charts. Devil of the graph world! :)

Could you clarify if the BR models have the single or double chimney?

Based on photos, I suspect that the early crest locos will have the single chimney while the late-crest will have a double chimney but I will leave it to Dave to confirm that. Here are some photos of the locos in question.

KE2

6011b8~1.jpg

KC2

post-18453-0-19335400-1447524678.jpg

KE4

24343049184_68af9abb03_o.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave. I've ordered a 'King' but I noticed the prices on your order page for the Baby Deltic and the J94 have gone up rather alarmingly. I know Brexit is a disaster but I didn't bank on it being that bad!

Hi Dave. I've ordered a 'King' but I noticed the prices on your order page for the Baby Deltic and the J94 have gone up rather alarmingly. I know Brexit is a disaster but I didn't bank on it being that bad!

Hi mate,

Just had a look and couldn't see anything. Maybe I'm looking from being 'too close' can you elaborate for me please?

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Well, Dapol's loss is Dave's gain (hopefully!) 

Since the BoB/West Country fund no longer has a model to spend it on, 1 x 6023 please Dave!

Tom. 

• Like 1

Hi Matt,

That last picture says all you need to know about the King (in any guise), what a handsome brute of a locomotive. 

Yes, a lovely shot.

Looking at this reminds me to make a plea (please don't take this as a moan), can we please please please have a Brunswick Green that matches that used by Bachmann. Dapol (and for that matter Hornby) locos never come close to the quality of the Bachmann/Farish shade, and I suspect that it's not just down to the colour but also that Bachmann models have a touch of sheen about them, whereas Dapol paint is flat matt. Take a look at this photo of the King and see how you can see things reflected in the boiler paintwork.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Please, if you get the chance, take a look at the 14xx's I've done for Hattons.

The colour used were matched in hue and sheen with 2 Bachmann locomotives.

Hope this helps?

Cheers

Dave